[0.13.x] Why are God Modules removed? Please give them back!

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

gdxysghysrdefght
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.13.x] Why are God Modules removed? Please give them back!

Post by gdxysghysrdefght »

I just replayed literally the whole game, only to finally reach a FUN endgame reward, the God Modules.
Turns out, they are not in the game, and enabling them in the config mod AND the modules mod, does nothing, not even when starting a new game.
Is there any way to add the modules to 0.13? I opened the Lua files in a text editor, read through them and set pretty much everything to true, but absolutely nothing changed.
Would be really sad if i had set up a system for what feels like a million hours, and now the developer has removed the most fun part of the mod.
I don't understand this. All i can find on google, are... "people", complaining about how good God Modules are. Why do those people use the modules, when they hate them?
Is it really so hard to... simply not use them? Why do they have to be removed from the game? They were the only thing that added any replay value to the game.

Please give us the God Modules back!

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.13.x] Why are God Modules removed? Please give them back!

Post by British_Petroleum »

You can enable them in the config file

gdxysghysrdefght
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Yes, but as i already explained, that doesn't add them to the game, not even when starting a new game.
Actually nothing you change in the config, does anything to the game. I Disabled all modules for now, and i can still research all of them.

I installed everything from this page viewtopic.php?f=51&t=27216, and changing the files in the config folder does nothing. Even though all the mods seem to work perfectly EXCEPT for the God Module.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Are you extracting the bobconfig.zip file into your mods directory before editing it? Windows is not smart enough to know that you may want to insert the file back into the zip after you are done modifying it.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

As a simple test I started a new world with default config
researched all technologies
saved and closed
enabled god modules in config
loaded world
was able to research god modules and create a few
saved and closed
disabled god modules in config
loaded world
No longer have god modules or research

Working as expected.
Why do those people use the modules, when they hate them?
Is it really so hard to... simply not use them? Why do they have to be removed from the game? They were the only thing that added any replay value to the game.
Befitting pun -- It's "Adam and Eve syndrome" you tell yourself not to use the modules but there they are in front of you tempting you so why not have just 1 little bite

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Basically... going by feedback of most people, God modules were too powerful for general use, so were disabled by default.

Editing the config should, and does from my experience re-enable the modules.

You shouldn't need to edit anything in the modules files, doing so might break the tests put in place to check for the config mod, resulting in your changes actually turning them off, instead of on. There is some negative logic in my files, so they don't do as you would expect, please stick to the config mod unless you really do know what you're changing.

As for using the config mod, you should extract the zip file into a folder, remove the zip from the game's mod directory, then edit config.lua. If you don't extract first, when you browse into the zip file and open config.lua, windows actually copies the file into a temporary folder, and lets you edit that, leaving the original unchanged, so you have to manually re-add your changed file to the zip file. Therefore, it is recommended that you extract the zip before starting.

So... extract the mod, open config.lua, change the god modules line to true (must be all lower case), save and close the file, load the game.

Any further issues, let me know.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

gdxysghysrdefght
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Who are "most people"?
From the... 1 million people that played your mod, 100 complained?
And that is most people?

Sorry, but those people are complete morons. What person with a brain, complains about being able to do something?
You DO know that you are ALSO able to NOT do it, RIGHT???
If you think they are OP, DON'T CRAFT THEM!

And just wtf is up with the ore spawn? I am so sick of this, i spend more time fixing this broken mod than i play it...
Now i basically can't proceed anymore. Explored every bit of space that i can reach, aliens everywhere, need better weapons to get past them,
can't make better weapons because SOMEONE disabled ores in the config, that you NEED in the mod...
JUST WTF??? WHY??? Did someone SERIOUSLY say "Oh, there is ore on my map that i don't need! Please remove it!"???
WHO asks for something THIS dumb?

STOP DISABLING THINGS BY DEFAULT! THIS ONLY CAUSES MASSIVE PROBLEMS!

People that don't want to use those things, can just NOT USE THEM...
This way, everyone who DOES want to use them, has to put hours and hours of work into this, and for what?
Just to figure out that there are things disabled, that FORCE you to create a new world...

Sorry, but if you listen to someone, who says "I have to much things, please take them away from me!", then you should just quit working on this, and let someone take over, who knows how to handle those things...

REMOVING THEM IS CLEARLY NOT A GOOD OPTION!

Edit:
- No cobalt on the map
- Lua commands don't work (EVER), so i can't just generate a new field, and if i could... WHY do lua commands disable achievements? How dumb is THAT? I am not playing in some dumb online ranked game... WHY disable them???
- Can't even check if the config actually changes the ore spawn, because i can't explore new terrain, because i explored everything i can reach BEFORE i enabled cobalt manually...

Edit2:

- I think express inserters, and the ability to choose the pickup and drop spot for ALL inserters is completely OP. Should NOT be enabled by default
- Laser rifle is totally op. 10 times stronger than my fully upgraded (without science pack 4) Rifle. HOW is THAT not OP? PLEASE REMOVE!
- In fact, pretty much everything but vanilla items are OP, please remove your mods from your mods...

See what i did there? Doesn't make any sense at all, does it? We install mods to have MORE things, not to have them disabled...

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Why do you want another ore to process?

cobalt oxide can be made from copper using the advanced copper processing with cobalt oxide recipe.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

gdxysghysrdefght wrote:Sorry, but those people are complete morons. What person with a brain, complains about being able to do something?
You DO know that you are ALSO able to NOT do it, RIGHT???
If you think they are OP, DON'T CRAFT THEM!
I originally had that viewpoint, but as pointed out previously, if the item exists, so does the temptation to use it. from the opposite perspective, having an icon you're never going to use gets in the way and ultimately becomes clutter, which is annoying.
gdxysghysrdefght wrote:And just wtf is up with the ore spawn? I am so sick of this, i spend more time fixing this broken mod than i play it...
Now i basically can't proceed anymore. Explored every bit of space that i can reach, aliens everywhere, need better weapons to get past them,
can't make better weapons because SOMEONE disabled ores in the config, that you NEED in the mod...
JUST WTF??? WHY??? Did someone SERIOUSLY say "Oh, there is ore on my map that i don't need! Please remove it!"???
WHO asks for something THIS dumb?
Nothing that you NEED is disabled. the default configuration is designed to appeal to the widest player base as possible, Unnecessary ores that can be obtained via other methods, such as Sulfur and Cobalt are disabled by default, but available to be turned on for those few people who would rather use it. To clarify Cobalt: you don't need cobalt ORE, you need cobalt oxide, which comes from 2 places... Cobalt ore, or "Cobalt oxide from Copper", a recipe which is unlocked by the cobalt processing research. I don't leave dead ends. And since the cobalt option has been like this since 0.10, if it truly were a hole, don't you think I would have patched it by now?

gdxysghysrdefght wrote:STOP DISABLING THINGS BY DEFAULT! THIS ONLY CAUSES MASSIVE PROBLEMS!
Very few problems from my experience, and those that people sometimes struggle with such as assuming they need cobalt ore to get cobalt oxide, or the Lithia water recipe (legacy before the ore type was added) are well documented in numerous places.
gdxysghysrdefght wrote:People that don't want to use those things, can just NOT USE THEM...
This way, everyone who DOES want to use them, has to put hours and hours of work into this, and for what?
Just to figure out that there are things disabled, that FORCE you to create a new world...
Even if things are disabled, re-enabling them doesn't usually force you to create a new world. Most things like the god modules are re-enabled and added to the game automatically (though, may require a recpe/technology update forcing, which can be done either by changing the mod configuration(I'm talking about the one in game, so adding/removing/updating a mod, not editing a file) or via script), some others like adding in an ore that was turned off by default can either be found by exploring, or using the regenerate command.
gdxysghysrdefght wrote:Sorry, but if you listen to someone, who says "I have to much things, please take them away from me!", then you should just quit working on this, and let someone take over, who knows how to handle those things...

REMOVING THEM IS CLEARLY NOT A GOOD OPTION!
If there's just one person who says to remove or change something... I don't usually do it. If there are numerous, it usually leads to a discussion, perhaps even a pole. eventually, either I convince them the change isn't needed, or they convince me to make the change. Nothing is done at a whim, or by the demand of a single person. And if a change is made, I do seriously consider the impact on the rest of the mod, sometimes one small change somewhere can butterfly through the whole mod, and requires tweaks all over the place, but if the work is needed, the work gets done, or the original change doesn't happen.

gdxysghysrdefght wrote:- No cobalt on the map
See previous... cobalt is a redundant ore, you don't need it. The option to turn it on is available for the people who would rather have it.
gdxysghysrdefght wrote:- Lua commands don't work (EVER), so i can't just generate a new field, and if i could... WHY do lua commands disable achievements? How dumb is THAT? I am not playing in some dumb online ranked game... WHY disable them???
they don't work? if you have an issue getting a specific command to work, perhaps I can assist. As for the achievements, that is entirely on the game developers, they introduced this change.
gdxysghysrdefght wrote:- Can't even check if the config actually changes the ore spawn, because i can't explore new terrain, because i explored everything i can reach BEFORE i enabled cobalt manually...
If you change the config correctly, it will spawn. Interesting point: due to the way the mod is programmed, disabling an ore will not delete it from an existing map, just prevent any more from spawning.
gdxysghysrdefght wrote:- I think express inserters, and the ability to choose the pickup and drop spot for ALL inserters is completely OP. Should NOT be enabled by default
The pickup and drop locations configuration built into the logistics mod mealy consolidates and cleans up research and a crap load of recipes that were in previous versions of the mod. There are very few new additions. The inserters mod is actually not part of my core mods, it was a request for me to design an inserters configuration mod similar to those that already existed, with more/different options. And again, requires research to fully unlock things.
gdxysghysrdefght wrote:- Laser rifle is totally op. 10 times stronger than my fully upgraded (without science pack 4) Rifle. HOW is THAT not OP? PLEASE REMOVE!
Actually, due to most of my enemies including a laser resistance, the laser rifle is actually quite weak. Especially if you're using the new ammos introduced by my warfare mod, pretty much all other weapons can out perform the laser rifle. Since it is a weapon from my mod, you can really only compare it to other weapons using my ammos, it is what I would call a Tier 4 weapon, and compared to other weapons of that tier, yeah, quite weak.
gdxysghysrdefght wrote:- In fact, pretty much everything but vanilla items are OP, please remove your mods from your mods...
the solution is simple, don't use mods.
gdxysghysrdefght wrote:See what i did there? Doesn't make any sense at all, does it? We install mods to have MORE things, not to have them disabled...
And the reason why they are disabled rather than outright removed is because some people might want to use them.

God modules are over powered, in fact some people even think that raw modules are overpowered, and I can agree, modules are supposed to reconfigure the machine to do certain things better at the cost of others... raw modules break that by removing the negative effects, god modules merge all raw modules together for an extreme overpowered effect. This is why they were disabled by default, and can very easily be re-enabled. They completely break game balancing. I actually went through great lengths to add in a productivity filtering system too, because adding productivity bonuses to everything is also overpowered and breaks game balance, but the option to turn that off remains too, along with an option to turn on transmitting the productivity effect.
God modules in everything, even beacons... that is insane overpowering, yet some people like it, therefore the option to do it is there in the config, but if it was all turned on by default, those who don't want to completely kill game balance would get upset. Do you understand?

I am... disheartened to hear that you've had a bad experience with my mod, but by the sound of things, you're basically getting frustrated by what is effectively nothing, and for that you have my apologies. Now if you excuse me, I need to go do something else.

I mod for fun, encouragement makes it more fun, and make me want to work on the mods, complaints do not. Those people who are eagerly waiting for the release of my vehicle modular equipment mod now have you to thank for an extended delay.
I also have a Patreon.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

@gdxysghysrdefght
You have some points there but as bobbingabout wrote most of them have been discussed already and some are result of not looking at research properly (cobalt/lithium water). And a lot of others by not willing to go to config mod and actually looking at config file. Those things are explained there very nicely.
Fortunately in 0.15 we should get mod settings screen so it will be easier then now to edit mod configuration and it will be more clearly visible that it exists.

@bobbingabout
Can't wait to get my hands on vehicle equipment mod :D
Thanks for all the work and continued support.

gdxysghysrdefght
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Sorry but this is just idiotic.
If there is another way to get it, then REMOVE THE DAMN RECIPE!

"Oh, there is so much clutter! We can't have things enabled by default! That ONE SYMBOL FOR GOD MODULES IN THE MODULE TAB really messes everything up...

Man... there are tabs where you have to SCROLL, and you say that ONE symbol in an almost empty tab is clutter?

If ANYTHING is clutter, then recipes, that you CAN'T FREAKING CRAFT!

The game CLEARLY tells you that to make that cobalt stuff, you need cobalt ore. So if that's the first step, WHY is there no cobalt?

"Oh, because you don't need it!"

Great, by that logic... why not remove EVERYTHING from the game? Why did you add more ores? You could just take a stone, and craft a spaceport from it...

More ores = more puzzle = more fun.

Seriously... this mod is about adding more things, and people complain about too much stuff... What a freaking bunch of idiots...

Besides that, you are CLEARLY not modding for fun. People that mod for fun, like i.e. Gary, don't give ANY fuck what people want. They put in their game what they want.
YOU listen to people that cry about completely retarded things, where even YOU know that they are dumb. YOU made the modules for a reason, because FUN, and you removed them, for another reason, i guess... being praised by the idiots that can't resist the temptation to craft something they HATE... I seriously wish you the worst for fucking the mod over, just because of some crying retards.
Stop tricking people into thinking they can play something good, when actually, you can't play the good version of the mod, because Steam doesn't allow using old versions, and the dev is just a jerk who takes away everything good about the mods in newer versions... I spent the last hours trying to fix my fucking savegame, because there are recipes in the game, that you are not even supposed to craft, but use something else instead...

And some people wonder why people like me get mad when someone mentions payed mods... THIS IS TRICKING ME INTO WORK! I AM THE ONE WHO SHOULD GET FUCKING PAYED! XD

Linosaurus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Linosaurus »

gdxysghysrdefght wrote:you can't play the good version of the mod, because Steam doesn't allow using old versions
You can download older versions from factorio.com, even if you have bought it from steam. https://www.factorio.com/faq

I do understand that these types of frustration can make ranting at the mod author very tempting. But it doesn't really help. Best thing to do is to figure out why your config file changes aren't working. There's been some advice on that, it's not clear if you have tried it. See in particular this point:
Nexela wrote:Are you extracting the bobconfig.zip file into your mods directory before editing it? Windows is not smart enough to know that you may want to insert the file back into the zip after you are done modifying it.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

At least I'm not doing a DySoch. I stopped keeping track of DyTech around 0.12 for one simple reason. instead of making 0.9.8 mod compatible with 0.10, he goes and re-writes the whole thing completely differently. Then does the same thing for 0.11... At least my mods try and stay true to the 0.10 originals, and expand upon them.

Also note: God modules weren't even in the original version of my modules, they came later, and they are overpowered. But once they were added, I left them in my mod until the next big patch, at which point I simply changed the defaults to false, allowing those who like them to change a single flag to true.
I also have a Patreon.

eformo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by eformo »

If I want God modules in an existing game, I turn them back on. As mentioned previously, you can do that, and it works on your saved game.

If that's not what you're experiencing, well... PEBKAC. Humbly asking for assistance also works very well.

pieppiep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pieppiep »

British_Petroleum wrote:so much rage :D
Imagine the rage when you insert some god module's in it!

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

I just hope he doesn't notice any changes to boiler/steam engines

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Nexela wrote:I just hope he doesn't notice any changes to boiler/steam engines
I do think the new versions are a lot more realistic.
I also have a Patreon.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Took me a while to get used too. Then forgot when I was trying to figure out why my 20 steam engines wouldn't work.

Return to “Bob's mods”