[0.14.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.14.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by Recon777 »

Not sure if this has been identified/discussed, but at some point in the tech tree, you can no longer hand-craft the yellow inserters. Even if you have all the necessary ingredients.

This appears to be because there are multiple recipes for "Wooden Board". It knows I have no synthetic wood. But I have logs!! Yet it won't craft the wooden boards because it's expecting the recipe using synthetic wood.

Hand crafting wooden boards using the other recipe first and then doing inserters is a two step workaround. But this should still be fixed.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

And as pointed out numerous times, is impossible to fix.
Well... there are 2 solutions:
1. Remove synthetic wood entirely
2. Synthetic wood creates logs.

Why these options? imagine synthetic wood produces real processed wood.... you then have the same issue that it won't create wood from logs, because it expects to make it synthetically. Therefore, you have to create the first item in the chain, Raw wood.

Short of removing synthetic wood (And lets admit, it's not the only area, Merged modules for example prefer the long expensive route), this needs a base game fix.

The issue has been reported several times, I've effectively given up on this issue.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

bobingabout wrote:And as pointed out numerous times, is impossible to fix.
There is a third option, apparently:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Xuerian/ ... ndcrafting

Basically, it makes the synthetic wood recipe to be assembler-only.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

bobingabout wrote:The issue has been reported several times, I've effectively given up on this issue.
Sorry. Does the mod series have a FAQ? I should go read that if it exists. Issues may be raised numerous times, but that doesn't stop new people from getting tripped up.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

No, but I should make one. There are actually quite a few questions that get asked over and over again.
I also have a Patreon.

pieppiep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pieppiep »

Another option would be the handy hands mod.
This mod queues handcrafting for all locked toolbelt slots.
You can lock the woodenboard in your toolbelt and that way always have some of them.
The only problem would be queueing many items that in total needs more than your default that you have.

arbarbonif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arbarbonif »

Out of curiosity can you create research to modify stack sizes for items? That might be even more interesting than inventory size changes.

thc133
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by thc133 »

bobingabout wrote:And as pointed out numerous times, is impossible to fix.

Why these options? imagine synthetic wood produces real processed wood.... you then have the same issue that it won't create wood from logs, because it expects to make it synthetically. Therefore, you have to create the first item in the chain, Raw wood.

Short of removing synthetic wood (And lets admit, it's not the only area, Merged modules for example prefer the long expensive route), this needs a base game fix.

The issue has been reported several times, I've effectively given up on this issue.
I never produce synthetic wood and I rely on my greenhouses. My solution to it is to make some Wooden Boards and keep them in the box (for myself and production lines). When I run out of Wooden Board, I pick 200 or 400pcs from the box.

When I have logistic robot later on, I use it to replenish my backpack automatically.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

arbarbonif wrote:Out of curiosity can you create research to modify stack sizes for items? That might be even more interesting than inventory size changes.
Nope.

even if it was possible(Which I don't think it is), it would need to be changed via script on a force level, the change would be global, so imagine a multiplayer vs game, if one team were to research it, everyone would get the advantage.
I also have a Patreon.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

So I'm curious about the future of Bob's Mods for when 0.15 comes out. Two of the big changes I think may affect things are the nuclear power (which has reworked how boilers function) and the absence of alien artifacts, which BM seems to make rather prolific use of.

@ Bob, could you maybe give us a rundown as to your current thoughts on 0.15 and how you anticipate this changing the mod? What are your plans? :)

ikkonoishi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ikkonoishi »

Could you make the Crude Oil Processing with Sulfur require Sodium Hydroxide? It would give us a better way to dispose of it then shooting chests, and it was used IRL from an early point. (Google: "crude oil caustic washing")

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Okay... the 0.15 plan.

Well, since so much stuff is changing for 0.15, it will likely be several weeks after the launch before all my mods are in a state fit for release. There's so many changes to consider. Reworking boilers, reworking research, rebalancing ammo damages... in fact there's so many small changes all over the place that I can't recall them all off the top of my head, pretty much every FFF has added something else to my list of things to change for the past 2 months or so.
Artifacts will be added back in in the enemies mod.
Additional non-alien science packs will be added. Existing ones will likely be edited too.
Now, although some of the basics like Library, clock, inserters GUI, Electronics(probably an initial release with base game research, then edited later on for new science packs) and modules(Has it's own science, so the science change won't affect it) might be able to be released relatively early on after launch, there's an estimated 1 week delay between releasing each mod that will be affected by the sweeping changes to base game.
In other words, a 1 to 2 month delay after launch before my mod suite is released.
And although I am now saying it might be a week before you see the release of my first mod... when the time comes, it MAY be longer if they're held back for changes I'm making in the other mods.

As for an exact list of changes... well... as said, the game will change so much when the update arrives, I probably won't have a full list until I start looking to see what exactly is broken.

ikkonoishi wrote:Could you make the Crude Oil Processing with Sulfur require Sodium Hydroxide? It would give us a better way to dispose of it then shooting chests, and it was used IRL from an early point. (Google: "crude oil caustic washing")
Short answer... no.
Long answer: Well, the new sulfur oil processing recipes, especially the first one giving pure sulfur as an item are supposed to be a gateway technology to allow access to sulfur, due to the fact that the base game methods of obtaining it have been removed. Although it might be a realistic solution, and a sink for the unwanted sodium hydroxide, I don't really want to add too much of an additional barrier to being able to obtain it.
I also have a Patreon.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

bobingabout wrote: As for an exact list of changes... well... as said, the game will change so much when the update arrives, I probably won't have a full list until I start looking to see what exactly is broken.

ikkonoishi wrote:Could you make the Crude Oil Processing with Sulfur require Sodium Hydroxide? It would give us a better way to dispose of it then shooting chests, and it was used IRL from an early point. (Google: "crude oil caustic washing")
Short answer... no.
Long answer: Well, the new sulfur oil processing recipes, especially the first one giving pure sulfur as an item are supposed to be a gateway technology to allow access to sulfur, due to the fact that the base game methods of obtaining it have been removed. Although it might be a realistic solution, and a sink for the unwanted sodium hydroxide, I don't really want to add too much of an additional barrier to being able to obtain it.
My vote would be to change the explosives recipe to use nitroglycerin and sulfur would be a thing of the past!

fractalman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by fractalman »

Nexela wrote:
bobingabout wrote: As for an exact list of changes... well... as said, the game will change so much when the update arrives, I probably won't have a full list until I start looking to see what exactly is broken.

Short answer... no.
My vote would be to change the explosives recipe to use nitroglycerin and sulfur would be a thing of the past!
Batteries need sulfur.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

In thinking about the whole "unwanted items" thing, I wonder if there could be a sort of "incinerator" object which anything piped into it is gone forever. It's odd that this isn't in the vanilla game already.

Rue99
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rue99 »

Void chests/pipes are a thing already. I think the developers are probably right to concentrate to build the underpinnings that others can exploit, like inherent support for liquid tankers (which will integrate into the train management sub-systems better).

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

fractalman wrote: Batteries need sulfur.
Batteries need sulfuric acid, Bobs Revamp mod adds recipes to get sulfur dioxide from oil. leaving sulfur only used for explosives.
Bobs revamp also adds a recipe to make sulfur from sulfur dioxide,

Bobs revamp should replace sulfur with nitroglycerin because *boom* and having the 2 other ways to get sulfur if needed for some other mod would be A-ok in my book :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Inserters 0.14.3:
* Minor fix for multiplayer
I also have a Patreon.

evilm0nkey
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by evilm0nkey »

Hi Bob, first of all thank you so much for this amazing mod collection. I've been having fun with some buddys for a few months now playing a bob's + marathon game.

I'm having issues with parts of bob's assembly machines: The chemical plants as well as the electrolyser in the MK3 and MK4 versions cost the same as the Mk1 version. The MK2 costs are correct. The stats like crafting speed of the buildings are correct so its quite overpowered.
We are running both bob's assembly machines and bobplates version 0.14.0, which seem to be the latest versions.

Is this a bug? Maybe a conflict with marathon mod? I would appreciate any help to fix this issue.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I've heard similar bug reports before, and it is Another mod that makes use of the stdlib mod. One of the functions in there causes an issue, and replaces the items incorrectly. I'm not sure how or why, but, there is a good chance that it is Marathon causing the issues.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”