[0.13.x] Bob's Revamp Mod.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.13.x] Bob's Revamp Mod.

Post by steinio »

Requia wrote:Thought, instead of straight up reducing steel from 5 to 2 iron plates leave the default recipe in, and add a chemical furnace recipe for charcoal or coke necessary to get the 2 iron to 1 steel recipe.

It's so easy to produce Bob's carbon why not use this?

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

iamwyza wrote:I haven't started testing the revamp mod yet, so if this is already part of it, I apologize.

I just "finished" probably my 3rd or 4th playthrough of Bob's. One thing I've noticed is that launching the rocket is too easy with Bob's. It doesn't really require most of the highest level stuff. I think you can do it without blue science (or any of the special alien sciences), without Nitonol or tungsten. I think that building and launching the rocket/satellite should include needing those end game components.

Just my .02 cents.
Bob's advanced science pack and mk2 lab is required for the last rocket speed tech which is required for the rocket silo tech. But yeah, it would be nice if the rocket construction required more bobs stuff. The low density structures are made mostly of steel and copper;. Aluminium and/or titanium would be much better materials for building rockets, lighter and stronger.

Athmagor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Athmagor »

British_Petroleum wrote:
iamwyza wrote:I haven't started testing the revamp mod yet, so if this is already part of it, I apologize.

I just "finished" probably my 3rd or 4th playthrough of Bob's. One thing I've noticed is that launching the rocket is too easy with Bob's. It doesn't really require most of the highest level stuff. I think you can do it without blue science (or any of the special alien sciences), without Nitonol or tungsten. I think that building and launching the rocket/satellite should include needing those end game components.

Just my .02 cents.
Bob's advanced science pack and mk2 lab is required for the last rocket speed tech which is required for the rocket silo tech. But yeah, it would be nice if the rocket construction required more bobs stuff. The low density structures are made mostly of steel and copper;. Aluminium and/or titanium would be much better materials for building rockets, lighter and stronger.
While those suggestions above are certainly valid, until they are implemented in the mod's, may I suggest trying the marathon mode (or some combinations of them - there are a few) from Bob's Tweaks?

Requia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Requia »

steinio wrote:
Requia wrote:Thought, instead of straight up reducing steel from 5 to 2 iron plates leave the default recipe in, and add a chemical furnace recipe for charcoal or coke necessary to get the 2 iron to 1 steel recipe.

It's so easy to produce Bob's carbon why not use this?
Good point.
British_Petroleum wrote:
Rockets are mainly steel. Well, they're mainly fuel, but once you've burned off all the fuel it's mainly steel left behind.

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by iamwyza »

Requia wrote:
British_Petroleum wrote:
Rockets are mainly steel. Well, they're mainly fuel, but once you've burned off all the fuel it's mainly steel left behind.
Mainly, perhaps, but Nitinol, titanium, tungsten and tungsten carbide are all used as materials in rockets. (at least according to the interwebs) Now of course I'm suggesting a little more than just "a little" mostly because I want to make those materials in bulk quantities vital to the effort.

Similarly the satellite should see an upgrade. For example perhaps it should use at least MK4 radars. (though I'd prefer Mk5) After all you'd want to put the best stuff you got in orbit Similarly I'd like to see it require higher level solar panels/accumulators too.

And I'd love to see rocket fuel move to something else (like LOX + RP1 which is Liquid Oxygen + Refined Petrolium aka Kerosene. We currently don't have either of those, but you could "fake" it with Petroleum Gas + Oxygen, though you'd want to make it a pretty high conversion amount and make it require higher level research since currently rocket fuel is super powerful).

So thinking:

Current Low Density Structure
  • 10x Steel
    5x Copper
    5x Plastic
New Low Density Structure
  • 5x Steel
    5x Titanium
    5x Aluminum
    5x Plastic
    2x Tungsten Carbide Plate
Current Rocket = 100x
  • 10x Low Density Structure
    10x Rocket Fuel
    10x Rocket Control Unit
New Rocket = 100x
    10x Rocket Fuel
    10x Rocket Control Unit
    5x Nitinol Bearings
    100x Tungsten Bearings

Current Satellite
  • 100x Solar Panel
    100x Light Density Structure
    100x Accumulator
    5x Radar
    50x Rocket Fuel
New Satellite
  • 100x Solar Panel Mk3
    100x High-Capacity Accumulator Mk3
    5x Radar Mk5
    50x Rocket Fuel

Dreadicon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dreadicon »

On the topic of ethanol, I just want to leave this here. Sadly no proper details are out yet, but it could be worth keeping an eye on at minimum, if not incorporating an estimated version:
https://www.rt.com/usa/stanford-study-c ... hanol-728/
Also found this (no idea why it's on pubmed, but it looks legit)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24827541
And this, which is an aggregate of various ISRU possibilities which have been prototyped but are not used on earth because we have other, more convenient methods available to us:
http://chapters.marssociety.org/canada/ ... stics.html

Ethylene and Ethanol are very simple compounds, so, in theory, they should be mass-producible with sufficient heat (energy). Obviously won't ever be as efficient energy-wise as cracking oil or fermentation, but it'd offer an execlent option for those with an over-abundance of energy and a lack of oil.

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheTom »

iamwyza wrote:
Requia wrote:
British_Petroleum wrote:
Mainly, perhaps, but Nitinol, titanium, tungsten and tungsten carbide are all used as materials in rockets. (at least according to the interwebs) Now of course I'm suggesting a little more than just "a little" mostly because I want to make those materials in bulk quantities vital to the effort.

Similarly the satellite should see an upgrade. For example perhaps it should use at least MK4 radars. (though I'd prefer Mk5) After all you'd want to put the best stuff you got in orbit Similarly I'd like to see it require higher level solar panels/accumulators too.

And I'd love to see rocket fuel move to something else (like LOX + RP1 which is Liquid Oxygen + Refined Petrolium aka Kerosene. We currently don't have either of those, but you could "fake" it with Petroleum Gas + Oxygen, though you'd want to make it a pretty high conversion amount and make it require higher level research since currently rocket fuel is super powerful).

So thinking:

Current Low Density Structure
  • 10x Steel
    5x Copper
    5x Plastic
New Low Density Structure
  • 5x Steel
    5x Titanium
    5x Aluminum
    5x Plastic
    2x Tungsten Carbide Plate
Current Rocket = 100x
    10x Rocket Fuel
    10x Rocket Control Unit
New Rocket = 100x
    10x Rocket Fuel
    10x Rocket Control Unit
    5x Nitinol Bearings
    100x Tungsten Bearings

Current Satellite
  • 100x Solar Panel
    100x Accumulator
    5x Radar
    50x Rocket Fuel
New Satellite
  • 100x Solar Panel Mk3
    100x High-Capacity Accumulator Mk3
    5x Radar Mk5
    50x Rocket Fuel
Yesw please. Give us some real challenge with the rocket again ;)

CMH
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CMH »

I've already got a mod to make things a wee bit tougher with bob's mods...

insert shameless plug to my mod here

Does do a couple of other things tho, so Caveat Emptor.

wh0oot
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by wh0oot »

Hey, I started a new map with all Bobs mods, researched all T1+2 including all the sulfuric acid and sulfur ones.
5hrs in I disabled bob's plates (Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates) only to notice an hour later there is no recipe for sulfuric acid any more.
It should be active since the research is done but the sulfur research from bob's plates probably disabled the vanilla recipe (sulfur,iron,water) forever.
Someone got any ideas how to fix this?

*Edit:
I reset all my research with the console command and started researching all over, it is unlocked now as it should be

Code: Select all

/c for _,v in pairs(game.player.force.technologies) do v.researched=false end

Strubbel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Strubbel »

I had a similar problem. I only use a part of Bobs Mods, just the way I feel comfortable :)
So I didn't use the ores, but tried the Revamp Mod. After some hours into gameplay, I realized that my sulfur production, which only was generated by the refineries (since I have no ores to use alternative sulfur-producing methods), simply wasn't enough, so I disabled the Revamp Mod again.

After that, my chemical plant didn't show the sulfur recipe :( So I was kind of trapped...

So thanks a lot to wh0oot for this small workaround, I am now researching from the beginning, hoping that the sulfur recipe will show up again :)

odegroot
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by odegroot »

iamwyza wrote:Whatever the ultimate resolution is. It'd be nice to get some sort of processing tree setup so that we can follow it. I know I like visualizations of stuff, it helps me get inside the complexity of it.
So would I; I find the whole oil/sulfur processing rather confusing with this revamp. So I made a diagram. Feel free to use this for whatever purpose.
Oil / sulfur processing diagram
Oil / sulfur processing diagram
Bob's Revamp Mod.png (121.3 KiB) Viewed 6370 times
Attachments
Bob's Revamp Mod draw.io diagram.xml
Source file for the diagram
(8.62 KiB) Downloaded 105 times

odegroot
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by odegroot »

As for my opinion, I've played with this revamp for a couple of hours now, and now I've hit a shortage of petroleum gas and a huge surplus of sulfur dioxide. I cannot simply scale up without also creating more sulfur dioxide. This is of course solveable in various ways, but somehow I find this issue not very interesting, just kind of annoying.

I don't like having my production blocked because my storage for some unwanted byproduct is full. This is similar to how Basic Oil Processing gives too much light/heavy oil, but at least you can convert the excess light/heavy oil to gas after researching cracking.

I would recommend modifying this revamp so that either it doesn't produce too much sulfur dioxide, or provide a useful way to process any excess sulfur.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

odegroot wrote:I cannot simply scale up without also creating more sulfur dioxide.
That's why there's more than one oil processing method. you're supposed to use ALL OF THEM, and if you don't want to have to change the recipe manually, build a combination of all of them, and use small pumps like valves with combinational logic to turn each type on/off depending on fluid levels. That's the intended solution.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

SilverFox
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SilverFox »

Im not sure if this is a bug or not .... The mod has been grate and working well, till you reach late game. i have a complete tree to infinite and can not unlock the rocket silo for researching. unpluged every mod and it only opens up the silo tab when i toggle off the revamp mod. please advise me or fix. :D i am running latest version as of 6/16/2017

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

SilverFox wrote:Im not sure if this is a bug or not .... The mod has been grate and working well, till you reach late game. i have a complete tree to infinite and can not unlock the rocket silo for researching. unpluged every mod and it only opens up the silo tab when i toggle off the revamp mod. please advise me or fix. :D i am running latest version as of 6/16/2017
It's an error in Angels mods. I was sure he'd released a patch for it, but if you're still experiencing it, it seems not.

You can force compatibility with angels mod by removing the following lines from revamp mod prototypes -> rocket-fuel-updates.lua, It's near the bottom of the file.

bobmods.lib.tech.add_prerequisite("rocket-silo", "rocket-fuel")
bobmods.lib.tech.remove_recipe_unlock("rocket-silo", "rocket-fuel")
I also have a Patreon.

SilverFox
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SilverFox »

bobingabout wrote:
SilverFox wrote:Im not sure if this is a bug or not .... The mod has been grate and working well, till you reach late game. i have a complete tree to infinite and can not unlock the rocket silo for researching. unpluged every mod and it only opens up the silo tab when i toggle off the revamp mod. please advise me or fix. :D i am running latest version as of 6/16/2017
It's an error in Angels mods. I was sure he'd released a patch for it, but if you're still experiencing it, it seems not.

You can force compatibility with angels mod by removing the following lines from revamp mod prototypes -> rocket-fuel-updates.lua, It's near the bottom of the file.

bobmods.lib.tech.add_prerequisite("rocket-silo", "rocket-fuel")
bobmods.lib.tech.remove_recipe_unlock("rocket-silo", "rocket-fuel")
Thanks for the tip. i will post back if it dose not fix it. (no news is good news) but if its not fixed i will post complete mods list. thanks for the prompted response.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Balance question about sulfur processing with crude oil :?:

There some strange method, bobingabout, u know....

I can take 200 crude oil and use vanilla method to process it
And i can get 100 oil and get all what i got and plus 20 sulfur.... question - why sulfur has undertaken from void and I at the same time didn't use the additional efforts to receive sulfur
May be i must process 120 crude oil instead of 100 crude oil?
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

aklesey1 wrote:Balance question about sulfur processing with crude oil :?:

There some strange method, bobingabout, u know....

I can take 200 crude oil and use vanilla method to process it
And i can get 100 oil and get all what i got and plus 20 sulfur.... question - why sulfur has undertaken from void and I at the same time didn't use the additional efforts to receive sulfur
May be i must process 120 crude oil instead of 100 crude oil?
Perhaps. it was a little... hacky.
I also have a Patreon.

EricCoon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by EricCoon »

Hi,

I have a not researchable recipe -> Oil processing for the basic oil refinery.
It seems that one prerequisite is missing. Deactivating bobs revamp mod made it available again. Reactivating bobs revamp made it bugged again.
I researched it,while bobs revamp was deactivated.

If you want I can provide an savegame.

I use Factorio 0.15.32
My modlist (Mainly bobs, Omni, LTN, Nanobots)

AfraidOfTheDark_1.0.16
AOW_1.1101916a
AutoDeconstruct_0.1.9
autofill_1.4.8
bobassembly_0.15.7
bobelectronics_0.15.3
bobenemies_0.15.2
bobgreenhouse_0.15.2
bobinserters_0.15.1
boblibrary_0.15.8
boblogistics_0.15.6
bobmining_0.15.2
bobmodules_0.15.3
bobores_0.15.6
bobplates_0.15.12
bobpower_0.15.4
bobrevamp_0.15.4
bobtech_0.15.3
bobvehicleequipment_0.15.2
bobwarfare_0.15.3
Bottleneck_0.8.5
bullet-trails_0.2.5
clock_0.15.0
Crafting_Speed_Research_0.1.5
FARL_1.1.7
Fast Replace Underground Belt_1.5.3
Foreman_2.0.4
HandyHands_1.5.1
Laser_Beam_Turrets_0.1.9
LoaderRedux_1.1.1
LogisticTrainNetwork_1.4.6
long-reach_0.0.8
Nanobots_1.8.6
omnilib_1.0.18
omnimatter_1.2.9
Orbital Ion Cannon_1.5.2
remove_mod_names_1.0.1
SmarterBotRecharge_1.0.2
Squeak Through_1.1.7
upgrade-planner_1.4.10
Warehousing v15_0.0.14
what-is-it-really-used-for_1.2.5
"This is a mess! Lets rebuild and make it bigger!" .... "I said BIGGER!!!"

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

EricCoon wrote:Hi,

I have a not researchable recipe -> Oil processing for the basic oil refinery.
It seems that one prerequisite is missing. Deactivating bobs revamp mod made it available again. Reactivating bobs revamp made it bugged again.
I researched it,while bobs revamp was deactivated.
revamp does change the prerequisites. you need to research oil mining before you can research oil processing.

or are you telling me oil mining wasn't in the technology list?
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”