some observations(errors?) balancing...

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

some observations(errors?) balancing...

Post by ukezi »

• The fast far inserters do exactly the same as the long fast ones. should maybe have one reach more?
    also one is an crafting dead end.
  • fast underground belts are far to cheap, they cost 57,5 Iron while a single fast belt cost 11.5.
    may be change receipt to x fast belts + gears?
  • you pack petroleum in gas bottles while it is a liquid. the symbol is ethen maybe change the name? or the symbol and go to barrels?
  • it would be cool to have longer underground belts and pipes like 5dim has.
  • creating heavy oil from coal is cool. I would instead go for syntheses gas H+CO made from (Carbon +O2)+(H2) with that you could realistic go to all petro products.
Last edited by ukezi on Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpeedDaemon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: some observations(errors?) balancing...

Post by SpeedDaemon »

ukezi wrote:
  • The fast far inserters do exactly the same as the long fast ones. should maybe have one reach more?
    also one is an crafting dead end.
  • fast underground belts are far to cheap, they cost 57,5 Iron while a single fast belt cost 11.5.
    may be change receipt to x fast belts + gears?
  • you pack petroleum in gas bottles while it is a liquid. the symbol is ethen maybe change the name? or the symbol and go to barrels?
  • it would be cool to have longer underground belts and pipes like 5dim has.
  • creating heavy oil from coal is cool. I would go for syntheses gas H+CO made from (Carbon +O2)+(H2) with that you could realistic go to all petro products.
"Far" inerters place onto the near side of the second belt away. Long goes to the far side. Maybe Bob should change the name to "Not-As-Long" inserters :D

The molecule on the PG icon looks like C2H4 (ethylene), which boils at -103C, so it (and methane/natural gas) are gas at room temp. It's actually HCl that's in the wrong container, but fixing that would break a lot of things.

The higher tiers of Bob's belts/pipes go for a pretty long way under ground...

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

Ethen is the same es ethylene, it is aperent a name only used in Germany. The thing is ethylene has little to nothing in common with petroleum.
Length wise I was thinking more in the direction of 30 and 50.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I'm not going into an argument about "Petroleum Gas" yes "GAS" is part of the name, and although the name may be a little bit confusing with the liquid fuel you put in cars, is not only a valid named (Petroleum basically meaning combustable fuel source, which this is, and "Gas" is part of the name, indicating it's a gas, not a fluid) it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH MY MOD!!! It's a base game gas, and since I don't change it in any way, I didn't change the name, nor the icon. The only thing I did with it is to allow it to be packed in a "Gas bottle" (which I since learned is more accurately named a Gas Cylender, which I find confusing, as although they are cylendrical, arn't quite geometric cylenders because of the domed top, and the one in the image has a domed bottom too, with a circular foot), since, well, it's stated as being a gas, and the icon is that of a gas... and I also used it in recipes.

Anyway, moving on.

Far inserters could use a better name, I just havn't thought of one yet. Inserters go as follows.
Near places on the nearside of the belt 1 tile away
Standard/Short places on the farside of the belt 1 tile away.
Far places on the near side of the belt 2 tiles away (It's further than standard, hence, far)
Long places on the far side of the belt 2 tiles away (I'd actually swap the names around for those 2, but, didn't want to break basegame stuff)

Another sugestion was that I drop far, and just use Near, and Long-Near, the problem with that is that there already is a long-near inserter, it takes from 2 tiles away, and places on the near side 1 tile away. AKA long in near out.

Underground belts... well, I haven't looked at the recipes for those in A LONG TIME, like, since I wrote them back in version 0.10. I could have a look at the recipes and ballance them again, however, their cost is basically what I considered ballance at the time, based on previous recipes.

As for longer belts and pipes? Well, I started with whatever the base game value was, and for belts, since it started with a length of 5, did a +5 per tier, the formula I used for pipes was a bit more random. It starts with a base length of 10, and goes +5 per tier, but the longest pipe length is tungsten with a length of 30, which is +10 from the previous tier. Honestly, I just use tungsten pipes for everything once they're unlocked. The Thinner pipes (Copper, Bronze, Brass) can make fluids act strange (unless they're "Heavy" fluids, like Heavy oil, cruide oil, or tungstic acid), and the thicker pipes (Stone, Plastic and Ceramic) don't have a good enough flow for most purposes. which leaves you on the normal range (iron, steel, titanium, tungsten), and since tungsten is the only T4, and top of the normal range, well, it's the best choice all round.

Finally, heavy oil from coal, well, basically, due to so many new recipes requiring heavy oil (Resin, synthetic wood, Petroleum Jelly, Red alien goo, etc) I personally was getting a heavy oil shortage, leaving me with nothing to do with my light oil and gas, As were a few other people. To solve this I made 2 recipes. "Crude oil processing", which is a oil refinery recipe that gives more heavy oil than the others, and "Heavy oil cracking from coal", which is the one you mentioned.

With heavy oil from coal, it completes the chain Coal -> Heavy -> Light -> Gas -> Hydrogen. It might not be as realistic as some of the other things in my mod, but it was put in there to fill a hole in the economy.

In fact, on an unrelated note, I wanted to change some of the recipes to make them "More realistic" in my opinion. Although technically true you can make plastics like Vinyl from Petroleum Gas and Chlorine, I originally wanted to change plastics to be made from Heavy oil instead, though I think you can make a form of plastic from just about any petroleum product.
I also wanted to remove the Petroleum gas -> Sulfur recipe, because sulfur is an unwanted byproduct that is filtered out, IRL the gas is the part you actually want, so for the gas to be discarded after being filtered is nonsensical. As such I wanted to remove that recipe, and either force you to live off the nickel and lead processing byproducts, or add an alternate means, like getting it from filtering coal into carbon (Which is WAY too earlygame to be having to deal with a fluid waste product when you probably want the carbon for electronics), or a oil processing byproduct (so you get sulfur stright from the oil refinery when you process crude oil), it would have to be a solid sulfur though, because the oil refinery only has 3 fluid outputs.
Actually, having quite a few different recipes for the oil refinery could be fun, you change the recipe depending on what you want out... or a better way could be that you use logic to enable different refineries depending on the levels of different tanks.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

Sounds good Bob, I like the idea of alternative/replacement plastic and sulfur recipes.

Return to “Bob's mods”