[0.13.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.13.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by orzelek »

SpazTazTic wrote:Dear Mr Bob

Gotta Say I love the mods you have made bobby, in fact playing in vanilla is a thing of the past for me these days, Ok to the point now, so maybe I've missed something but why are the different types of long handed inserters been removed are/will they come back, If so Im just wondering why this has happened in 0.13.6 update, I do how ever have to replace and re-design a large portion of my Mega Base, not a big issue part of factorio life, as said before I love to understand why, EDIT: WOW Im a dumbass sometimes but happy i figured this out on my own though, So I forgot about when you shift click you can adjust the pick up and drop off points with the inserter, I do love this way of setting up, now to spend a few days updating the factory :D
You did miss the post 2 pages back that gave link to special mod to remember inserter positions and use it before migrating to new logistics mod to store them :D

Lazarus90
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Lazarus90 »

Hi Bob,

I like the way that your new inserter mod works, there is one feature request I would ask. Is it possible to have the inserters act like assemblers for entity settings, insofar as when placing an upgraded version of an inserter over a previous one (eg fast inserter to express inserter) it retains the entity setting. I miss being able to place over existing inserters quickly when upgrading sections of the factory. I did note that you can copy the entity setting between inserters of the same type, but not those of different types.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I'm not certain, but I can look into it.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

appex213
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by appex213 »

I'm trying to edit a save map, but when I try to play it (after editing it) I get this:

I only have Bob's mods installed, and using Factorio 13.9

Also, is it possible to enable the old recipes for water and lithia water from the pump? I tried changing the config.lua setting EnableGroundWater to true but it didn't do anything.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

appex213 wrote:I'm trying to edit a save map, but when I try to play it (after editing it) I get this:
I only have Bob's mods installed, and using Factorio 13.9

Also, is it possible to enable the old recipes for water and lithia water from the pump? I tried changing the config.lua setting EnableGroundWater to true but it didn't do anything.
Well, the only thing I can really sugest about editing the save game is that you must have done it wrong? because... well...I dunno.

The lithia water and Ground water issue though has been documented several times over and over again. Basically you need to research the technology after you change the setting, if you researched first, then changed the settings, you have a problem. it can be fixed by a command that I can't look up right now, so... look through recent topics about it, like this one. viewtopic.php?f=51&t=28030
I also have a Patreon.

SpazTazTic
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SpazTazTic »

orzelek wrote:
SpazTazTic wrote:Dear Mr Bob

Gotta Say I love the mods you have made bobby, in fact playing in vanilla is a thing of the past for me these days, Ok to the point now, so maybe I've missed something but why are the different types of long handed inserters been removed are/will they come back, If so Im just wondering why this has happened in 0.13.6 update, I do how ever have to replace and re-design a large portion of my Mega Base, not a big issue part of factorio life, as said before I love to understand why, EDIT: WOW Im a dumbass sometimes but happy i figured this out on my own though, So I forgot about when you shift click you can adjust the pick up and drop off points with the inserter, I do love this way of setting up, now to spend a few days updating the factory :D
You did miss the post 2 pages back that gave link to special mod to remember inserter positions and use it before migrating to new logistics mod to store them :D
Yes you are right, I am very new to the forums and only joined due to not knowing enough, So I've decided to be more active and contribute to the mod with bug finds and so on ;)

lenny27g
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lenny27g »

Hey bob,

The game is unable to migrate items more than once when loading an updated mod.

I was having problems with inserter migration destroying all express inserters except the base one when updating from logistics 0.13.2 to 0.13.7. At 0.13.4 it migrates all purple inserters to express inserters (of all varieties) and at 0.13.5 it migrates all express inserter varieties to simply the express inserter. The first migration triggers, updating all purple to inserters to express inserters, and then the 2nd one doesn't trigger for the express inserters and all but the base express inserter are removed upon load. I got around this by adding all migrations from 0.13.4 to the 0.13.5 json file (and changing them to go directly to express inserters) and removing the 0.13.4 migration json. You might want to do the same, otherwise people will need to update pre-0.13.4 to 0.13.4 and then to 0.13.5+ to actually have it work.

In case I explained that poorly, here is exactly what I did to the 0.13.5 json in addition to deleting the 0.13.4 json.

Code: Select all

{
  "item":
  [
    ["long-handed-burner-inserter", "burner-inserter"],

["fast-long-inserter", "fast-inserter"],
    ["fast-near-inserter", "fast-inserter"],
    ["fast-far-inserter", "fast-inserter"],

["filter-long-inserter", "filter-inserter"],
    ["filter-near-inserter", "filter-inserter"],
    ["filter-far-inserter", "filter-inserter"],
    ["filter-short-far-inserter", "filter-inserter"],
    ["filter-short-long-inserter", "filter-inserter"],
    ["filter-long-near-inserter", "filter-inserter"],
    ["filter-long-short-inserter", "filter-inserter"],

["purple-inserter", "express-inserter"],
    ["purple-long-inserter", "express-inserter"],
    ["purple-near-inserter", "express-inserter"],
    ["purple-far-inserter", "express-inserter"],
    ["purple-short-far-inserter", "express-inserter"],
    ["purple-short-long-inserter", "express-inserter"],
    ["purple-long-near-inserter", "express-inserter"],
    ["purple-long-short-inserter", "express-inserter"],

["express-long-inserter", "express-inserter"],
    ["express-near-inserter", "express-inserter"],
    ["express-far-inserter", "express-inserter"],
    ["express-short-far-inserter", "express-inserter"],
    ["express-short-long-inserter", "express-inserter"],
    ["express-long-near-inserter", "express-inserter"],
    ["express-long-short-inserter", "express-inserter"]
  ],
  "recipe":
  [

],
  "entity":
  [

],
  "technology":
  [
    ["purple-inserters", "express-inserters"]
  ]
}
Also, I'm curious why you made the default key/mouse binding shift+Lmouse. I understand that I can change it, but it seems odd to have the default key one that majorly conflicts with default copy entity settings, especially on an entity that is incredibly useful to copy.

Also also, is it possible to make it so that the inserter GUI can be closed with the inventory button like every other GUI can? Or is it something that just can't be changed.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Thanks for pointing out the issue with the migration there Lenny, I'll look into doing that myself for the next release.
BTW, even earlier migration (I think 0.13.0) changes "smart" into "filter", you missed those.

For the GUI, the Default has actually been changed to SHIFT + E now, and the same key to open it will close it. However, having it close on an E press that closes all the other GUIs isn't viable, because As far as I know, there is no event trigger hook into it I can read. I could get around it by creating another hotkey default to E to close the custom GUI, but it will whenever you press E for any reason, and let the standard E press functionality continue, so as you close the custom GUI, the inventory GUI would open. The main reason is because the custom GUI is NOT a window (like the inventory, and most entity menus are), it is a more like a HUD element (like the minimap) placed in the middle of the screen, so interaction with the game is treat as such.

Any way, long story short, no, can't close with E, Same key that opened it will close it, the close button will close it, or walking away will close it. (Walking away was a fun one to do, it basically checks if the entity is valid, and if the player can reach it every tick)
I also have a Patreon.

lenny27g
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lenny27g »

bobingabout wrote:Thanks for pointing out the issue with the migration there Lenny, I'll look into doing that myself for the next release.
BTW, even earlier migration (I think 0.13.0) changes "smart" into "filter", you missed those.

For the GUI, the Default has actually been changed to SHIFT + E now, and the same key to open it will close it. However, having it close on an E press that closes all the other GUIs isn't viable, because As far as I know, there is no event trigger hook into it I can read. I could get around it by creating another hotkey default to E to close the custom GUI, but it will whenever you press E for any reason, and let the standard E press functionality continue, so as you close the custom GUI, the inventory GUI would open. The main reason is because the custom GUI is NOT a window (like the inventory, and most entity menus are), it is a more like a HUD element (like the minimap) placed in the middle of the screen, so interaction with the game is treat as such.

Any way, long story short, no, can't close with E, Same key that opened it will close it, the close button will close it, or walking away will close it. (Walking away was a fun one to do, it basically checks if the entity is valid, and if the player can reach it every tick)
Ah yeah didn't even think to look at early migrations. Only looked at the one causing me problems :D

That's good. Shift + E makes more sense. I guess my key was set with the earlier version of the mod and an update with changed defaults won't actually change key bindings that are already set.

Expected as much on the GUI closing, but nice to know that I can just walk away from it as another option. Didn't even think of that.

So far I'm really enjoying the new inserter mod. Still getting used to it, but its nice to not make several wrong inserters when I'm attempting to figure out that I actually need a standard in long out inserter that also puts it on the inside of a belt.

Oh and a random thing I noticed, the config for disabling the new water and lithia water puddles doesn't seem to work correctly. I disabled it for the map I host that was created in version 0.12.x since we already had a lot of area explored and it would of caused immense issues and factory failure from the loss of lithia water. Newly explored areas still generate water puddles though. Not really a problem since they can just be built over top of but thought I'd point it out.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

lenny27g wrote:That's good. Shift + E makes more sense. I guess my key was set with the earlier version of the mod and an update with changed defaults won't actually change key bindings that are already set.
Exactly
lenny27g wrote:Oh and a random thing I noticed, the config for disabling the new water and lithia water puddles doesn't seem to work correctly. I disabled it for the map I host that was created in version 0.12.x since we already had a lot of area explored and it would of caused immense issues and factory failure from the loss of lithia water. Newly explored areas still generate water puddles though. Not really a problem since they can just be built over top of but thought I'd point it out.
I'll probably need to double check settings there.
I also have a Patreon.

Slayer1557
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Slayer1557 »

Woa. I don't remember bobs mods CRAWLING like it does now. I first started playing before 0.13 came out, and then took a break for a few months. I remember it running well back then, so I'm not sure what changed.

I'm running the following:
Bob's...
Assembling machines
Config mod
Electronics
Enemies
Functions Library
Greenhouse
Logistics
Metals, Chemicals and intermediates
Mining
Modules
Ores
Power
Revamp
Tech
Warfare
Clock

and for non-Bob's mods(I've used these in the past, so I'm pretty sure they aren't the problem unless it's some bizarre interaction with Bob's mods.
Upgrade Builder and Planner
Blueprint String

My computer runs pretty much any game on Ultra settings no problem, so the fact factorio is running slow is insane. And it's a brand new game, so the world is still small and there's not many entities. Advice?

EDIT: Ok, so it seems to have cleared up for now. I really have no idea what could have been causing it. I'm pretty good at diagnosing computer issues and I didn't see anything on my computer using up my CPU or memory. I'll see if the problem returns.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

Do you have something that adds a lot of textures? How much memory does your graphics card have and do you have graphics set to 'ALL'?

Slayer1557
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Slayer1557 »

Ratzap wrote:Do you have something that adds a lot of textures? How much memory does your graphics card have and do you have graphics set to 'ALL'?
I listed every mod I'm using, so no, nothing that adds a lot of textures. Graphics memory usage is set to 'high'. I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 with 4GB of video card memory. I'll try turning my memory usage to 'All' later (I have to go to work right now), but could that affect the rest of my computer?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Slayer1557 wrote:
Ratzap wrote:Do you have something that adds a lot of textures? How much memory does your graphics card have and do you have graphics set to 'ALL'?
I listed every mod I'm using, so no, nothing that adds a lot of textures. Graphics memory usage is set to 'high'. I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 with 4GB of video card memory. I'll try turning my memory usage to 'All' later (I have to go to work right now), but could that affect the rest of my computer?
It has been shown by few people that memory usage all is much better if you have the VRAM for it. And all in this case means all as needed so no risk for your computer. In some cases it also speeds up the game load significantly.

Robot721
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Robot721 »

Hey Bob! I was messing around looking at the new stuff and came across these robots. How do you use them? They can't go in roboports, nor do they deploy in the personal roboport. Someone suggested to me you throw them like grenades, but that didn't work. And sorry for throwing all these questions at you, but how do they differ from capsules? I appreciate the work you did!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Robot721 wrote:Hey Bob! I was messing around looking at the new stuff and came across these robots. How do you use them? They can't go in roboports, nor do they deploy in the personal roboport. Someone suggested to me you throw them like grenades, but that didn't work. And sorry for throwing all these questions at you, but how do they differ from capsules? I appreciate the work you did!
They're components for the capsules. And sometimes other things like Distracter mines/artillery.
I also have a Patreon.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

orzelek wrote:
Slayer1557 wrote:
It has been shown by few people that memory usage all is much better if you have the VRAM for it. And all in this case means all as needed so no risk for your computer. In some cases it also speeds up the game load significantly.
If you load too much though or don't have the memory then All can cause very nasty lag bursts every few seconds as it swaps textures in and out.

Bob: Did the steam engines change water usage in 0.13? I had a line of 1 offshore pump feeding the usual 10 engines but when I upgraded the engines to mk2 they ran out of water. I had to cut them back to 8 per pump to keep the water level up.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Ratzap wrote:Bob: Did the steam engines change water usage in 0.13?
Yes. The first post on the power mod page lists the new ratios.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4831#p36792

Basically, to make them produce more power, and consume less water so you could have more on a chain, the steam engines had an efficiency of 200% and 400%. I've changed this so they consume more water instead, so their efficiencies are 110% and 120%. You still get more power from the same amount of water, but the change is effectively a move from "you get lots more energy" to "space saver". An upgrade is still worth it though, because the new totals bring the productivity up from 50% with a MK1 boiler and MK1 steam engine to 96% with a MK4 boiler and MK3 steam engine.
I also have a Patreon.

marcelgrilo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by marcelgrilo »

My Long inserters aregone on last update.....
Inserters 0.13.3

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

marcelgrilo wrote:My Long inserters have gone on last update.....
Inserters 0.13.2
There's a conversation about that in the logistics page.

the latest update of the logistics mod removed long inserter (well, it was 0.13.5, but that was deleted because of a game breaking bug, and you had 0.13.6 and 0.13.7 since)

Before you update the logistics mod, you need to install the inserter migration mod, load game, save game, remove that mod and update.

the instructions are here.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6987&start=410#p186769

you should be able to download any old versions on the linked pages.
Also, you have to use the adjustable inserters mod to make long inserters for now, but I'll be adding something to Logistics to compensate.
If you've saved the game since you updated, that save can't be migrated anymore.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”