Source Control / License? Anyone?

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Pathin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Source Control / License? Anyone?

Post by Pathin »

So where is the source control to bobs mods to push fixes to.
Also, where is the licensing?
I searched high and low in this forum but couldn't find anything...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Source Control / License? Anyone?

Post by bobingabout »

Source control? Push fixes?
You tell me what's wrong, and then if I consider it an actual bug, I fix it.

And, there is a liscence somewhere, but I can't remember where it is.
Long story short though, the liscence basically says the only person allowed to edit it directly is me.
But you are allowed to use my mod as a reference, and any assets, as long as you credit me, and ideally ask me first and tell me what you're going to do with them. (not everything in my mod was originally made by me.)
bobingabout wrote:The liscence basically states that...
you may:
Distribute the mod package, as it is originally supplied freely.
Include My mod package, or any complete single unit (single mods) within a collection (or modpack).
Use my code as a reference, or guide for your own code.
Use assets (graphics) from within my mod in your own, with explicit permission (Ask me first) and apropriate credit (A note that says it's from my mod, or names the original artist).
Create a mod that depends on, or modifies the content of my own. (Don't like something in my mod? Write a mod that either deletes additional items, or undoes a change I made etc)

you may not:
Redistribute an edited version of my mod publicly (This means you are actually free to edit the mod yourself, and redistribute it to a small private group, IE, for a multiplayer server between friends)
An Exception to the no-edit rule allows you to modify specifically the dependancies line of info.json IF it is required for compatabillity, for redistribution only within a modpack. (This rule was added for some very specific reasons)
Another exception to the no edit rule is config.lua (Which now exists exclusively within config mod.) Again this is usually for modpacks, or private groups, because it's so easy to break someone elses game if they don't know it's edited.
Include my mod as a basis, or large component of your own complete mod. In such cases you should include the original mod as a dependancy, and write a mod that modifies it.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Pathin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Pathin »

Ok, so I couldn't care less. Thanks for nothing.
Guess I will just create a source control project then, which is totally ok because.
1. You didn't even post any terms anywhere (as you just stated you have no clue)
2. The mod is free so there is nothing you can even sue me about.
3. As you just stated most of your stuff is taken from other mods...
4. I hate the way you handle other people's work.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Pathin wrote:Ok, so I couldn't care less. Thanks for nothing.
Guess I will just create a source control project then, which is totally ok because.
1. You didn't even post any terms anywhere (as you just stated you have no clue)
With all due respect Sir: I don't like your tone.
I am at layman not involved in this case. It's just the tone I don't like

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

It is NOT OK.

When somebody failed to state the license term of their work, assume ALWAYS that you do not have any permission.(IANAL) I believe that when he said 'based on other work', he got permission to use other people's work.

Also, don't be a dick, even if you think the other guy is being a dick.

I don't like how bobbingabout handle licensing and refusal to accept contribution, where as everyone else commonly license it freely and put the source code under version control. But it is not my mod, it is not my work, and it is not your mod and it is not your work.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Licensing [Bob's mods > Archive]
He did tell you the terms:
bobingabout wrote:Long story short though, the liscence basically says the only person allowed to edit it directly is me. But you are allowed to use my mod as a reference, and any assets, as long as you credit me, and ideally ask me first and tell me what you're going to do with them. (not everything in my mod was originally made by me.)
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

1. Well, I did, someone found it. Though I should do a better job of making it clear.
2. Well... considering it's not legally copyright, I guess I can't sue, but it doesn't mean other people will like you if you abuse my work.
3. That's not what I said, nearly everything in my mod was made by me, especially code, but not everything.
4. I... what? I don't even.... Give me an example where I've belittled anyone elses work.
I also have a Patreon.

retep998
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by retep998 »

bobingabout wrote:2. Well... considering it's not legally copyright, I guess I can't sue, but it doesn't mean other people will like you if you abuse my work.
On the contrary all the code and assets you created, you do have copyright over. Copyright is granted automatically whenever you create something, even if it is distributed freely. By default all rights are reserved to the creator. If someone uses your work in a way that isn't covered by the license you provided for that work or via permissions provided via some other means, then you can sue, although it typically isn't worth suing unless you're either losing revenue or the violator is profiting off of it.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

well then.

I put a quote to the license I probably want to use in my first reply.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”