[0.12.x][v0.12.4] Bob's Config mod

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.2] Bob's Config mod

Post by bobingabout »

It's probably a load order issue, but... show us what you've done, and maybe we can tell you what you're doing wrong.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

CMH
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CMH »

Thanks for the reply. I've actually just decided to re-do the whole recipe instead of using the smart "if this, then that" method. So its all good, I get what I want :D

Features Ti and Al low density structure,
satellites requiring the biggest accumulator and solar panels (all mk3 of course) and electronic processing board,
rocket parts requiring extra cobalt steel
rocket control units needing god module mk5 (in addition to god modules now giving +150% power requirement instead of -150%)
rocket fuel needing sulfuric acid and nitric acid (I don't have nitroglycerin enabled in my game).

Probably unbalanced... But I'm uploading it just in case anyone's interested.

Still a big fan of your work :D
Attachments
ExpensiveSpace_0.0.1.zip
(1.9 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Config 0.12.3:
* Added power mod options
* Added roboport recipe overide option
* Added flying robot frames option
* Added Robot stat update options.
* Added robot part items option
* Added option for previous tier on robots
I also have a Patreon.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Hey bob, you forgot to implement:
  • God modules are disabled by default
;)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Supercheese wrote:Hey bob, you forgot to implement:
  • God modules are disabled by default
;)
That's a change I promiced for 0.13. it's not 0.13 yet.
I also have a Patreon.

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by noliVe »

you need to change the topic here bob its still -12.2 -

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

noliVe wrote:you need to change the topic here bob its still -12.2 -
Whoops, I guess I missed one.
I also have a Patreon.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

CMH wrote:Thanks for the reply. I've actually just decided to re-do the whole recipe instead of using the smart "if this, then that" method. So its all good, I get what I want :D

Features Ti and Al low density structure,
satellites requiring the biggest accumulator and solar panels (all mk3 of course) and electronic processing board,
rocket parts requiring extra cobalt steel
rocket control units needing god module mk5 (in addition to god modules now giving +150% power requirement instead of -150%)
rocket fuel needing sulfuric acid and nitric acid (I don't have nitroglycerin enabled in my game).

Probably unbalanced... But I'm uploading it just in case anyone's interested.

Still a big fan of your work :D
I am also making mod for rockets. It is not ready yet and I am not sure if it will ever be. It is my first mod and I am not sure are every changes possible or reasonable or fun.

I try to make rockets parts from six ingredients.

Booster unit
10 rocket fuel
(now stock but maybe later chemical fabrication chain for ammonium nitrate (ammonia & nitric acid) & other more real stuff)
3 aluminium plate

Liquid engine
5 nickel or invar (corresponding to inconel alloys in real engines)
3 nitinol bearing (some exotic for gas turbines and gimbals)
4 titanium gear (structures)
5 electric engine units (valves, hydraulics etc.)

Fuel tank part
10 Al plates
3 Ti plates
40 light oil (maybe later processing from light oil to RP-1 like stuff)

Oxygen tank part
15 Al plates
5 Ti plates
80 oxygen
maybe some kind of insulating foam fabricated from petroleum gas

Structural unit
10 plastic bars
5 carbon (for carbon fiber structures)
5 Ti gear
2 Tungsten carbide
It is little hard to include heavy tungsten in rocket manufacturing, but this can be cutting pieces in machining tools. Maybe I make craftable cutting tools from tungsten carbide and cobolt (it is actually very common material in real machining industry).

Control unit
3 most expensive Bob's circuit
1 speed module 3
1 efficiency module 3
1 productivity module 3

Satellite is made at least from (I have not thought exact recipe yet):
Most high mark solar panels & batteries (to get some use for some high mark devices which I do not use because they are far too overpowered to my playstyle).
Hydrazine (Made from petroleum gas and ammonia, ammonia is made from hydrogen and nitrogen in chemical furnace).
Nitrogen oxide (bob have already it).
Very expensive electronics & some other stuff.

This is not playable mod yet and I have no idea of balancing. These are just guessed values and will surely change. These needs somewhat complicated manufacturing chains, but planning and building of large complex systems is just what I like most in Factorio. Rockets are only continuous load to endgame factories and I want that it consumes almost all resource types.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.3] Bob's Config mod

Post by bobingabout »

Just a point of interest, they do actually use tungsten in space craft (Despite it's weight) as a heat shield, or heat proof components, such as in rocket engines.
I also have a Patreon.

CMH
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CMH »

I was just thinking of adding in tungsten as part of the engine unit.

But yeah, balancing this should be pretty fun. I'm thinking it doesn't need to be ultra-balanced. If something is needed, more assemblers tend to be the answer.

However, there is a point where I ask myself: is there a reason why we need this extra step?

If it's complexity for complexity's sake, you don't want the same sort of chains happening (linear, for example iron ore > iron plate > steel). Which is why they mixed things up with the oil production for vanilla. Do remember they need to keep things simple in vanilla or the learning curve would be too much. (maybe game options to turn up difficulty?) Or just do the lazy thing and let mods take care of it.

I'm slowly going to write a mod that messes around with the start of the chain, and the end. I like what bobingabout has done in the middle (with the assemblers, miners, electronics, power generation, etc). Minor tweaks there if anything. Although I'm up for brainstorming with someone more experienced with the actual programming part, since I've got no experience whatsoever.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

CMH wrote:But yeah, balancing this should be pretty fun. I'm thinking it doesn't need to be ultra-balanced. If something is needed, more assemblers tend to be the answer.
This is true. Complex ratios and imbalances lead to the most interesting planning problems.
However, there is a point where I ask myself: is there a reason why we need this extra step?
I think that everybody have their own reasons. At least I like solving complex problems and I like to see when huge complex production system works. I think that my game really begins at point when many think that game ends. I hate victories and endgame conditions in building games like Factorio. Game ends when I get bored or get interested to something else. I also noticed that modding is fun (except graphics). I have to learn fabrication chains of chemicals etc.

It is different thing if somebody tries to get his game or mod popular. I know that things I like are not very popular. Actually I surprised when I found how popular game Factorio is. It needs much engineering thinking.
If it's complexity for complexity's sake, you don't want the same sort of chains happening (linear, for example iron ore > iron plate > steel). Which is why they mixed things up with the oil production for vanilla. Do remember they need to keep things simple in vanilla or the learning curve would be too much. (maybe game options to turn up difficulty?) Or just do the lazy thing and let mods take care of it.
I agree that production network which have several outputs is more interesting than linear or tree like chains.

Game developers have to make more difficult decisions than modders. They know that players have very different styles and expectations. Players want to get their challenge from warfare, megabases, train systems, limited resources, finite maps, realism, etc. Some have (or want) to play with laptops or old slow computers which can not handle huge systems with hundreds of assemblers and thousands of inserters and some other want to build a behemoth factory to release smoke out of their high end gaming PCs. Every decision must be tradeoff between conflicting goals. Modders can typically concentrate to the things they like and ignore those who play with different style.
I'm slowly going to write a mod that messes around with the start of the chain, and the end. I like what bobingabout has done in the middle (with the assemblers, miners, electronics, power generation, etc). Minor tweaks there if anything. Although I'm up for brainstorming with someone more experienced with the actual programming part, since I've got no experience whatsoever.
Are you going to publish your mod?

I like also very much most of Bobs mods. Especially chemistry and electronics are very well thought and fit completely to my playstyle. Most high mark things are overpowered for me but I just do not use them.

CMH
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CMH »

Well, when I ask
CMH wrote:However, there is a point where I ask myself: is there a reason why we need this extra step?
I'm asking myself for the purposes of my own mod. Like you said, everyone likes a particular part of factorio and each modder will mod to his own style.

And lots of what modders have done are quite fun once you get the basic mechanics of the game, and wanting more. Whether or not the developers will add to the base game is up to them. I would like to see some of it added (maybe more "minor" ores) but I don't know exactly what the developers have in mind. Or even how they would handle the legality of adding in (part of?) someone's mod into the game itself.

As for publishing the mod, yes if I can finish writing it. I'm no expert in any sense of the word. Last month I couldn't even read the programming language (not that I'm any good at it at the moment), but I'd like to think I'm a fast learner. In any case it would be months away since I do have a day job (that is not anything programming related at all), and I'd like to continue playing factorio as well.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Bob,
I'm wondering if it's possible to add 2 configs to the mod.
StackSize.resource and StackSize.Intermediate

I'm running:
Assembly
Config
Greenhouse
Library
Logistics
Mining
Modules
Power
(Basically vanilla + upgrades)
and the default stack size is still 50 for everything. Wanting to default it to 200.

I saw a script to do it in 0.11 and I'm not sure how to convert it to 0.12
Random Code
It would probably need to be filtered. Not sure I'd like to have stacks of 200 satellites.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

PiggyWhiskey wrote:Bob,
I'm wondering if it's possible to add 2 configs to the mod.
StackSize.resource and StackSize.Intermediate

I'm running:
Assembly
Config
Greenhouse
Library
Logistics
Mining
Modules
Power
(Basically vanilla + upgrades)
and the default stack size is still 50 for everything. Wanting to default it to 200.

I saw a script to do it in 0.11 and I'm not sure how to convert it to 0.12
Random Code
It would probably need to be filtered. Not sure I'd like to have stacks of 200 satellites.
You can tru BigBags mod. It has configurable stack and ammo magazine increase amounts. It doesn't have fine grained control tho - it just won't change items that have stack size 1 by default.

solntcev
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by solntcev »

Hello, I started game with all Bob's mods from Dropbox and RSO. Looks like in Config mod by default unsorted gem ore is disabled.
How can I find gems? Does they spawn separate gem ore patches? I did not encountered gems yet in my game, but they are required for high-level recipes.

Do I need to change Config and regenerate ores? it will move all patches and invalidate my mining outposts.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Gem ore patches spawn, and when mined they give you an ore of each of the types of ore. Ruby will always be given, the other gems have a chance of being given, sapphire 80%, and it continues down to diamond at 20%.
I also have a Patreon.

fireball1624
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by fireball1624 »

I've toggled the BatteryUpdate to False, but my recipe isn't updating (i.e. going back to iron, copper, sulfuric acid). Is a new game the only way for that option to take effect?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

You'll need to run the update_recipes() script. I don't have access to the code here right now to tell you the command though... but at a guess (probably wrong) it's something like...

/c for i, force in pairs (game.forces) do force.update_recipes() end

if this is wrong, someone please correct me.

If a mod changes (installed, updated, removed) the problem would likely fix itself too.
I also have a Patreon.

solntcev
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by solntcev »

bobingabout wrote:Gem ore patches spawn, and when mined they give you an ore of each of the types of ore. ...
Yes, looked again and found gemstone deposit nearby. Thank you for your mods and quick support :)

Should disabling unsorted gems ore setting also remove "sort gems" recipe/tech?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

solntcev wrote:Should disabling unsorted gems ore setting also remove "sort gems" recipe/tech?
I covered a similar question recently. Basically, no, because the change in the settings is relatively minor and acts instantly, if you were to change the setting and turn it off, there may be unsorted gem items left that you might not want deleting, so, it stays.

Likewise, turning it on might not turn the recipe on automatically, so you'd stuck being able to mine unsorted gems with no recipe to sort them.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”