[0.12.x][v0.12.4] Bob's Config mod

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[0.12.x][v0.12.4] Bob's Config mod

Post by bobingabout »

This mod holds all the config options for my other mods. It is entirely optional, if it isn't installed all defaults are used.

Downloads.
Latest: V0.12.4 - 26th June 2016
Dropbox Latest
Archive
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.0] Bob's Config mod

Post by Kane »

Love this idea. I really need to get rid of vanilla and get playing this :)

RedDagger
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RedDagger »

Hello bobingabout.

I recently purchased Factorio and went straight for a heavily modded experience in my first game, including all your mods. I'm having a blast with it, in no small part due to your work, thanks for putting the time and effort into making them.

Now that I reached end-game content, I'm considering what would have made it even more enjoyable. I certainly see some value trying to add RSO into the mix, since I left it out during the initial world gen. I would also like to know if you are willing to consider adding two new config options in your mod pack. Since you now created this config mod, it seemed like the right place to discuss this.

The first option is related to modules. I see that there is an option to turn off god modules and an option to turn off "raw" modules. I'd like to know if your could split the latter into three, one for each type. Ultimately, I'd like to see how it goes if I play a game where I can build and use green modules, but raw speed, raw productivity and god modules were disabled.

The second is about galena. I see that there are already many options about it, but I'd like to know what do you think about a new one that is analogous to the raw gems option: mining galena yelds, well, galena; then a new recipe is added that has galena as input and generate lead and nickel. Ultimately, I'd like to play a game where I bring galena from my outposts and then solve the problem of separating the lead from the nickel in a centralized location in my main base, instead of having to do it in the outposts.

What do you think?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The modules. Adding those settings would effectively have 2 ways to turn on each type of merged module, one for the merged modules which enables all 3, and one for each of the 3 types of merged module. If you wanted one type, you'd have to turn off merged, and turn on the module type you wanted.

Actually doing it wouldn't be too difficult, it's just a lot of copying and deleting, because I would need to split the 3 files (Item, Recipe and Recipe updates stage) for merged modules into 3 files each (totalling 9) a trio for each type of merged module. The merged modules item and recipe files would be easy, since they're grouped by type, sorted by level. The hard part is the recipe updates file, because everything is sorted by ingredient, so all 3 types of merged module are mixed in with each other.

The Galena to lead and nickel recipe. This is something I'm less inclined to do. The gem sorting is relatively realistic. Getting Nickel and Lead from the same ore field is actually less realistic than I originally thought, and was mostly added as a means to avoid adding another ore. Getting Cobalt ore from Galena and Nickel ore fields is also not that realistic, a more realistic thing is that you can extract cobalt as an impurity from Copper, Lead and Nickel. I added the cobalt from copper recipe. I'm actually more inclined to just have Nickel ore fields turned on by default instead of this nickel from galena option.
I also have a Patreon.

RedDagger
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RedDagger »

bobingabout wrote:Getting Nickel and Lead from the same ore field is actually less realistic than I originally thought (...)
That's actually interesting to know. Since the option to enable nickel is already there, I'm inclined to simply adjust the config values and start a new game. Regarding the modules, well... since it is a single-player game I can just turn off god modules and then ignore the other two I don't want, even if they are still there. If it were a multi-player game, there would be a stronger case to ensure they were actually disabled. Thanks for the answer.

patmo98
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.2] Bob's Config mod

Post by patmo98 »

Would you have any interest in putting an option called something like, "Expensive Space Travel"?

Here were a few ideas I was toying with:
*) Add Titanium to the recipe for "Low Density Structure"
*) "Rocket Control Unit" requires a "Speed 3 Module"
*) Satellite requires "High capacity Accumulator MK3" and "Solar Panel MK3"
*) Rocket silo requires "Tungston Pipes" and "Cobalt Steel"
*) Rocket Silo research requires dark blue science

I'm guessing this would need to default to off, since it would annoy too many people. I think it would really rebalance the endgame to be more in line with the rest of the mod. Right now getting a rocket into space is pretty trivial compared to many of the other end-game things instead of the culmination of all your work.

Edit: I've been playing around with this a little, and it looks like I would want to do something like this:

Code: Select all

if data.raw.item["bob-titanium-plate"] then
  bobmods.lib.replace_recipe_item ("low-density-structure", "steel-plate", "bob-titanium-plate")
end

if data.raw.item["speed-module-4"] then
  bobmods.lib.replace_recipe_item ("rocket-control-unit", "speed-module", "speed-module-4")
else
  bobmods.lib.replace_recipe_item ("rocket-control-unit", "speed-module", "speed-module-3")
end

if data.raw.item["large-accumulator-3"] then
  bobmods.lib.replace_recipe_item ("satellite", "basic-accumulator", "large-accumulator-3")
end

if data.raw.item["solar-panel-3"] then
  bobmods.lib.replace_recipe_item ("satellite", "solar-panel", "solar-panel-3")
end

if data.raw.item["tungsten-pipe"] then
  bobmods.lib.replace_recipe_item ("rocket-silo", "pipe", "tungsten-pipe")
end

if data.raw.item["cobalt-steel-alloy"] then
  bobmods.lib.replace_recipe_item ("rocket-silo", "steel-plate", "cobalt-steel-alloy")
end

--bobmods.lib.add_new_science_pack("rocket-silo", "science-pack-4", 1)
if data.raw.tool["science-pack-4"] then
  bobmods.lib.replace_science_pack("rocket-silo", "science-pack-2", "science-pack-4")
end

roberwt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by roberwt »

I've been playing around with your mods. I tried to edit the config file. But I can't save it. How do you change the config?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

roberwt wrote:I've been playing around with your mods. I tried to edit the config file. But I can't save it. How do you change the config?
You will have to extract this mod to be able to edit the config file. Although it is possible to run with it still in the zip archive, I don't recommend it due to editing issues.

Once extracted, edit in notepad or similar.
I also have a Patreon.

KoerbS
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by KoerbS »

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

:-( any mirrors out there?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

KoerbS wrote:The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

:-( any mirrors out there?
I'm going to get some drop box links going as a mirror, but it will have to wait until I'm able to do it.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I also have a Patreon.

Requia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Requia »

Turning cheap steel off and reducing inventory size both fail to do anything (only libraries, config, plates, ores, warfare and enemies are active).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Requia wrote:Turning cheap steel off and reducing inventory size both fail to do anything (only libraries, config, plates, ores, warfare and enemies are active).
Okay... I tried the inventory size option (All mods enabled, but since both options are only specified in Plates and Config, it shouldn't matter), and it worked fine.

However, I tried turning off cheaper steel, and it did nothing. I did a force recipe updates script too, and then it works.

use: /c game.player.force.reset_recipes() in the console.
I also have a Patreon.

Requia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Requia »

Apparently I can't handle unzipping a file properly and didn't get anything except config.lua, so yeah ignore previous complaint :oops:

CMH
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CMH »

patmo98 wrote:Would you have any interest in putting an option called something like, "Expensive Space Travel"?

Here were a few ideas I was toying with:
*) Add Titanium to the recipe for "Low Density Structure"
*) "Rocket Control Unit" requires a "Speed 3 Module"
*) Satellite requires "High capacity Accumulator MK3" and "Solar Panel MK3"
*) Rocket silo requires "Tungston Pipes" and "Cobalt Steel"
*) Rocket Silo research requires dark blue science

I'm guessing this would need to default to off, since it would annoy too many people. I think it would really rebalance the endgame to be more in line with the rest of the mod. Right now getting a rocket into space is pretty trivial compared to many of the other end-game things instead of the culmination of all your work.

Edit: I've been playing around with this a little, and it looks like I would want to do something like this:

Code: Select all

if data.raw.item["bob-titanium-plate"] then
  bobmods.lib.replace_recipe_item ("low-density-structure", "steel-plate", "bob-titanium-plate")
end

if data.raw.item["speed-module-4"] then
  bobmods.lib.replace_recipe_item ("rocket-control-unit", "speed-module", "speed-module-4")
else
  bobmods.lib.replace_recipe_item ("rocket-control-unit", "speed-module", "speed-module-3")
end

if data.raw.item["large-accumulator-3"] then
  bobmods.lib.replace_recipe_item ("satellite", "basic-accumulator", "large-accumulator-3")
end

if data.raw.item["solar-panel-3"] then
  bobmods.lib.replace_recipe_item ("satellite", "solar-panel", "solar-panel-3")
end

if data.raw.item["tungsten-pipe"] then
  bobmods.lib.replace_recipe_item ("rocket-silo", "pipe", "tungsten-pipe")
end

if data.raw.item["cobalt-steel-alloy"] then
  bobmods.lib.replace_recipe_item ("rocket-silo", "steel-plate", "cobalt-steel-alloy")
end

--bobmods.lib.add_new_science_pack("rocket-silo", "science-pack-4", 1)
if data.raw.tool["science-pack-4"] then
  bobmods.lib.replace_science_pack("rocket-silo", "science-pack-2", "science-pack-4")
end
I'd second this.

I would also add the need for the highest level modules (Speed Module 8, etc).
Add a few more pieces to require other stuff from Bob's Ores.

edited because totally stuffed up the quoting...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

there's no such item as bob-titanium-plate, it's just titanium-plate :P
I also have a Patreon.

CMH
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CMH »

Not tempted to add a line to your config mod to enable this?

If not, let me know how (which file and where) I can edit the mod with the code above so at least I can do it myself :D

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

This is actually something (Perhaps not exactly as detailed here) that I do plan to add at some point, but the scope of what I want to do goes beyond just this one set of recipes. I want to actually make a mod that overrides recipes and technologies all over the place to make use of my materials in more of the base game.

I am in the process (When I can find the motivation, so it's slow going) of doing rebalancing, tuning up, adding new content to my mods at the moment. I've already touched plates mod, and enemies, and next on the list, currently in progress is the logistics mod. I don't think I'll get everything on my list done this pass though, because I want to move on to the next one on my list, which is the warfare mod. For warfare mod, the main goal is to rebalance the damage types and resistances of things like armor to be effective against the changes in the enemies mod. There's no protection against Electric spitters right now.
I also have a Patreon.

CMH
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CMH »

Good to hear. Looking forward to it.

I'm trying to incorporate the script written above in a mod, but when I place it in a new mod folder in a data.lua file, it doesn't do anything... (has info.json, pops up on mod list, restarted game, etc)

Anyone can point me the direction I can get help, or just plain tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Return to “Bob's mods”