Good Map Settings? Challenges?

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Zwobot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Good Map Settings? Challenges?

Post by Zwobot »

I've played two larger games with bob's mods so far - one with RSO, one without. I have abandoned both maps after getting to T4 modules and finding that after the difficulty spike of getting blue science running the game got a bit repetitive. Essentially I could've gone on to built more of the same-ish circuit layouts while occasionally upgrading my assembly machines/adding modules/beacons.

In short the demand for throughput and more and more resources that the vanilla game has didn't really happen...

So any ideas how to set up a map for an interesting challenges after blue science?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Good Map Settings? Challenges?

Post by bobingabout »

Are you using the latest versions (from about a week ago) that introduce science pack 4? That should add another step.

As for settings, I'm not entirely sure, I did have a list of good settings somewhere, but It's probably burried in the forums.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Zwobot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zwobot »

New Science Packs? There's little info about them around but I will use them - just setting up for a longer game. I actually was thinking about changing blue science to require more iron - maybe 5 steel? It felt a bit silly to enter the endgame and never having to bother switching out my initial smelter setup ;)

One thing I really liked about bob's mods was that depending on what resources where available different research routes made sense. Have Alu? Head straight for bots MKII. No Titanium or no Zinc? Well... Lasers instead of gun turrets.

SuperObeseNinja
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SuperObeseNinja »

^^ i'll second the MKII robots thing maybe add in a brass,bronze component they make it seem silly to even have a single MKI robot :D and now i have a robo world with 2.3k of each robot MKIII its kinda silly how fast they are xD

FireLion1983
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FireLion1983 »

I just started a map with decreased biter frequency, but increased biter size, I'm hoping for a bit more of a challenge. There are nodes of ores everywhere, though, so I might restart with a smaller frequency on the ores to promote alien contact and trains.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I think what I usually do with ore, in MOST cases is set frequency to minimum, but size and richness to maximum. it makes the patchs hard to find, but worth it when you do.

The last game I tries with those settings had no stone or iron in the starting area at all though, so you may need to try a few times to get a good one.

it helps them apear in the starting area if you set it to a large starting area.
I also have a Patreon.

FireLion1983
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FireLion1983 »

Thanks Bob, I'll give that a shot on my next start.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I'd recommend using RSO.. but that might be treated as advertisement ;)

And I think that starting area in it has currently a bit to much potentially - you have all the needed stuff till modules I think. Most of more exotic resources are in small quantity so for mass production you'll need to search for more.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I think the starting area has everything you need to make up to transistors and electronic circuit boards (Advanced Circuit/red curcuit level) after that you need to look for something else outside the starting area to progress.
I also have a Patreon.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

orzelek wrote:I'd recommend using RSO.. but that might be treated as advertisement ;)

And I think that starting area in it has currently a bit to much potentially - you have all the needed stuff till modules I think. Most of more exotic resources are in small quantity so for mass production you'll need to search for more.
I's second the RSO use, but definitely town down the starting area richness and up the biter chance.
I'm using RSO 1.3.4 with starting_richness_mult = 0.8 & absolute_enemy_chance = 0.5
And even with these settings I have plenty of resources and although a lot more enemies, still easy enough to kill with all that firepower Bob has given us.

Here is my Map string, to see how I've set the other resources. Basically everything on low, except of iron and copper on normal.

Code: Select all

>>>AAAMAAQAAwAEBBAAAAALAAAAYmF1eGl0ZS1vcmUCAwAEAAAAY29h
bAIDBAoAAABjb3BwZXItb3JlAwMECQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAIDBAoAAAB
lbmVteS1iYXNlBQUEBwAAAGdlbS1vcmUCAwAIAAAAZ29sZC1vcmUCAw
QIAAAAaXJvbi1vcmUDAwQIAAAAbGVhZC1vcmUCAwQGAAAAcXVhcnR6A
gMACgAAAHJ1dGlsZS1vcmUCAwAKAAAAc2lsdmVyLW9yZQIDBAUAAABz
dG9uZQIBAgcAAAB0aW4tb3JlAgMEDAAAAHR1bmdzdGVuLW9yZQIDBAg
AAAB6aW5jLW9yZQIDBHu0O8p+VQAAXI0AAAAAAAAAAAAABAA06NOi<<<
Oh, and Natural Evolution mod is a must! 8-)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

You don't need to edit absolute enemy chance now - it's enough to set enemy bases frequency to higher value in map gen settings. If you want more enemies also size for enemy bases works to make those larger.

Return to “Bob's mods”