Bob mods for 0.12 General Topic.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Robotic Intermediates would be useful for Logistics and Warfare. Should I:

Poll ended at Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:38 pm

Mirror the research and intermediates in both mods.
6%
Create a new Robotic Overhaul and expansion mod. (Similar in style to the Electronics mod, which Logistics and Warfare use for their robots)
45%
Place the new intermediates in a common mod (The Intermediates part of Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates mod)
48%

Total votes: 31

thirst4combat
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Bob mods for 0.12

Post by thirst4combat »

Thank you very much Bob. FYI your mods are the best thanks for making them I really enjoy them. Thanks again.

Timeslice
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Timeslice »

Last I saw Day/Night Extender hadn't been updated, but the others you mentioned should work fine. If you're ever feeling like you would like a bigger challange than Bob's mod provides, I recommend any or all of the following:
1. Don't use sniper turrets, they make taking out alien bases much easier. Or just don't use them for base clearing.
2. Don't use or disable combined modules. God modules make your factory rediculously awesome.
3. Use the Natural Evolution mod. The aliens will get more dangerous as the game progresses, with a full-on attack when you start the final rocket build. Designed to mesh well with bob's alien types. For an even greater challange, don't use the terraformer!
4. Use the Science Cost Tweaker mod. The deeper a piece of research is, the more this mod scales up the cost. Use this if you tend to build massive factories and want even more encouragement to expand and build large train networks. Adds tiered science labs and will change the science pack recipes to use bob's mods intermediate parts.

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

you can add scary nights to the list
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Timeslice
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Timeslice »

Bob, did you ever fix god modules so that you can't craft them in your pocket? I really feel like those should be gated behind at least blue science, and requiring a purple assembler was a great way to do that, but you can just craft them by hand.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Any news about robotic parts Bob?
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Timeslice wrote:Bob, did you ever fix god modules so that you can't craft them in your pocket?
I didn't know I was supposed to be doing that.
aklesey1 wrote:Any news about robotic parts Bob?
You mean the robots mod I had a poll about? I've kind of stopped modding for now, so I havn't made any progress for a while unfortunately.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Timeslice
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Timeslice »

bobingabout wrote:
Timeslice wrote:Bob, did you ever fix god modules so that you can't craft them in your pocket?
I didn't know I was supposed to be doing that.
Sorry, that was poorly phrased. Let's try this: did you know that god modules can be created without ever needing blue science, and do you consider that an issue?
I bring it up because apparently I'm not the only one that thinks it's strange that you need purple assemblers to craft them, but can craft them in your pocket.

Timeslice
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Timeslice »

bobingabout wrote:I've kind of stopped modding for now, so I havn't made any progress for a while unfortunately.
You obviously don't have to answer, but is this due to a lack of time, or a lack of interest?
And even if you decide to never write a single more line of LUA, I'd personally like to thank you for all of the hard work that you've put into Bob's Mods. This mod set has vastly increased the amount of playtime and enjoyment that I have gotten out of factorio.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Mostly lack of time. Also there is a Lack of interest component... Lets just say I need a break from it.

I'll most likely be back for 0.13.
I also have a Patreon.

Rwn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Rwn »

Just tried your mods (well, "just", I mean two weeks and around 70-80h of gameplay ago on two different maps, one without RSO and another with it...), all I can say is that I love them and would now have a hard time coming back to a vanilla which would taste a bit bland... Well, this is like Factorio 1.5 as a Christmas present one month earlier :D

Here's my feedback if you consider continuing its development at some point (which I really hope...):
- Revamped and new production chains are the most exciting feature - oh those crazy electronic cards... - with each one its own "philosophy" and specificities (with gas, liquids, raw or processed ores, byproducts, shared products with another chain...). Very good work! If you add more/further complexify some, all the better ;)
- Some features feel a bit underused, especially gas (not used so often and very easy to create out of nothing) and some ores (Zinc, Titanium, Tungsten) which seem mainly dedicated to a very specific use (upgrading base items). I feel that many new features and materials are only used to make some (optional) top tier items, it'd be nice if you had to set some production chains with them to craft the rocket silo (such as making the dark blue science pack a 6-items transformation, adding something made out of mixed gems and titanium and another one made out of tungsten acid for example, or using nitroglycerin, liquid fuel and/or oxygen in the rocket fuel recipe).
- Modules are a bit too powerful - and I'm not even talking about the top tier God modules. Even level 3 or 4 productivity modules filling extractors + furnaces will cut raw resource consumption by 3 or 4, even more if you continue to use them in the following factories, just at the expense of more energy and pollution (not that big an issue). I think next time I'll stick with the ones from vanilla (even though I like the added complexity of their construction and research in your mod)...
- Physics can be a bit off sometimes (creating energy out of nothing, due to modules or late-tier boilers for example).
- Enemies are more challenging and interesting - if you can refrain from using towers offensively (especially sniper ones). I forbid myself from doing that in my second game, there was a permanent race between aliens and me which made me able to destroy bases in a short time window once in a while until the aliens became stronger again and I had to wait for the next breakthrough (improved munitions, sniper rifle, etc.). Only very late in the game I found myself able to destroy reliably about any alien base. I hope the Factorio team will come up with a way to prevent offensive tower rush (I think they said they would at some point), but in the meantime I feel that your mod plays much better like this.
- There is some lack of "challenge" near the endgame. Sure you can craft the ultimate power armor or tank, but it feels more like grinding than fun and you don't really need them to beat the enemies anyway. Building the rocket silo is a good challenge, maybe there could be some other "megabuildings" (optional or mandatory) that are long and hard to build (oh even larger and more complex production lines!) with a special effect - a nuclear plant that generates 100MW of power, a small satellite/drone exploring a much larger area around the base, an alien beacon that would summon a huge, very powerful alien that you'd find a way to kill, etc.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your mods, I haven't had this much fun since I discovered Factorio itself ;)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I'm still Around, so that's a good sign I'll be coming back at some point.

Anyway, just reading through, so I'll comment on a few things as I read.

Firstly, Adding more recipe overides is something I will hopefully be adding later. As it is now I mostly just have my mod expand on the game, then the 2 major rewrites (Electronics, and Modules) are their own mods. There are a few other small edits here and there too where I felt it was fitting. When I'm finished with the next content additions, and possible required updates to 0.13 if that's when I become active again, I can revisit existing recipes and adding more overides.

Modules, these are actually fairly costomisable. Their default settings do lean on the "Easy" side of things. I sugest you download the config mod if you havn't already, and extract it, then you can edit config.lua. Go down to the section about Modules and make some tweaks. If you want a harder game, I sugest you start out by turning on the Productivity filters (so you can only use Productivity modules to make certain things, not all things as it is by default), and turn off God modules, maybe also turn off the Merged modules too. Then if you want to go further, adjust some of the numbers.

One of the things I added to the game to help try and combat tower rushing was to put a large laser resistance on nests. Unfortunately since I also added upgraded ammo and sniper turrets, this doesn't really help.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoy playing the game, and my mods :D
I also have a Patreon.

malcolmwest135
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by malcolmwest135 »

I need help figuring out how to make basic electronic plates. I have been trying to figure it out for a while now and it just doesn't make sense. If someone could help me out that would be great!

malcolmwest135
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by malcolmwest135 »

Hey, if anyone is really good with explaining how to do things could you inbox me? Or give me an email malcolmwest135@gmail.com that would be great. I'm having troubles with making basic electronic plates. LOL I know I sound like a noob but I seriously can't figure it out.

Timeslice
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Timeslice »

malcolmwest135 wrote:I need help figuring out how to make basic electronic plates. I have been trying to figure it out for a while now and it just doesn't make sense. If someone could help me out that would be great!
For starters there's no such thing as a basic electronic plate. Are you talking about the basic circuit board, or the basic electronic board maybe?

Everything in bob's mods is made in the same way that everything in vanilla is made: put the specified ingredients into the specified machine. You'll have to be more specific about what's confusing you.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

If you want to make the basic electronic board, one of the difficulties you may be having is that some of the components need to be made by machine. Also to automate production of the board you need to use a MK2 assembling machine, which is made from the boards, so the first few boards you need to assemble by hand (After making the components first in machine of course).
I also have a Patreon.

strider_ani
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by strider_ani »

Hi, I just had an issue with some of the pumps in the mod. I'm not sure If I'm doing something wrong or if it's a bug.

I am trying to set up my chemical production and stuff and I am working on my liquid priorities. I am trying to use pumps to do so. Apparently, from what I understand, connecting a pump directly to a tank will force the liquid to exit out of that pipe (Assuming it's powered) over another exit. In this fashion it's possible to create priorities by, for example, having all the cracking plants on a lower priority pipeline so that they will only begin cracking if the tank is full. I am guessing this is how things work in the default game but I haven't played around with it myself just yet.

Playing the mod, I can't seem to get the pumps working at all. When I place them down, no liquid is able to flow through them whether they are powered or not. When I click on them it asks for a recipe, as if it was a chemical plant. This is a bit confusing because there is no option to simply let liquid through the pump.

Would you be able to clear this up for me? Maybe I'm missing something or it's intended to be like that for some other reason I don't understand just yet.
Thanks.

Edit: After playing around with it a bit more, I've worked out a couple of interesting things with the pump and the compressor. I seriously doubt that these are supposed to work like this so I think it may be a bug. Like I described before, it is possible for you to select a recipe when using the pump. If you select water as the recipe for the pump, it will start producing water from nothing. As long as it's powered, water will start to exit the pump even if it's not receiving water from the other end, in fact it doesn't even have to be connected.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

strider_ani wrote:Hi, I just had an issue with some of the pumps in the mod. I'm not sure If I'm doing something wrong or if it's a bug.

I am trying to set up my chemical production and stuff and I am working on my liquid priorities. I am trying to use pumps to do so. Apparently, from what I understand, connecting a pump directly to a tank will force the liquid to exit out of that pipe (Assuming it's powered) over another exit. In this fashion it's possible to create priorities by, for example, having all the cracking plants on a lower priority pipeline so that they will only begin cracking if the tank is full. I am guessing this is how things work in the default game but I haven't played around with it myself just yet.

Playing the mod, I can't seem to get the pumps working at all. When I place them down, no liquid is able to flow through them whether they are powered or not. When I click on them it asks for a recipe, as if it was a chemical plant. This is a bit confusing because there is no option to simply let liquid through the pump.

Would you be able to clear this up for me? Maybe I'm missing something or it's intended to be like that for some other reason I don't understand just yet.
Thanks.

Edit: After playing around with it a bit more, I've worked out a couple of interesting things with the pump and the compressor. I seriously doubt that these are supposed to work like this so I think it may be a bug. Like I described before, it is possible for you to select a recipe when using the pump. If you select water as the recipe for the pump, it will start producing water from nothing. As long as it's powered, water will start to exit the pump even if it's not receiving water from the other end, in fact it doesn't even have to be connected.
I believe you're confusing the Pump Mk1/2/3/4 with the Small Pump. The pumps in the Production tab you receive when researching the Water Bore technology are indeed supposed to produce water from nothing, simulating digging a well and pumping groundwater. The Small Pumps, on the other hand, are from the vanilla unmodified game, and are found under the Logistics tab.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, when using my mod there are 4 types of pump. The "Small pump" which I think you are looking for is what pumps a fluid from an input to it's output.

Also AFAIK there is no such build in priority system that favors pumps, the fluid will just flow equilly from the 4 input/output connectors to an available fluid box (Factory, pump, or other pipe) depending on their size and how full they are.

Other types of pump that exist in my mods include:
Water Bore: Creates water and Lithia water out of nothing. The theory is supposed to be like a well, it's pumping it up from underground. It also bottles or unbottles other liquid type fluids
Air Compressor: can create liquid/compressed air named depending on other mods. Also bottles/unbottles gas type fluids too.
void pump: Destroys gasses that enter it, like venting them into the atmosphere. Specifically Oxygen, Nitrogen, Hydrogen and Chlorine.

These 3 might be named differently, I can't remember what the current locale name for them is.
I also have a Patreon.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

bobingabout wrote: Water Bore: Creates water and Lithia water out of nothing. The theory is supposed to be like a well, it's pumping it up from underground. It also bottles or unbottles other liquid type fluids
why water well does not require drilling the wells, why we don't need a rig for this purpose?
Really Bob, may be it will be little bit more real realistic? Because now water bore can get water from the void!!! And why the water is clean? I like dytech idea with dirty water
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

aklesey1 wrote:
bobingabout wrote: Water Bore: Creates water and Lithia water out of nothing. The theory is supposed to be like a well, it's pumping it up from underground. It also bottles or unbottles other liquid type fluids
why water well does not require drilling the wells, why we don't need a rig for this purpose?
Really Bob, may be it will be little bit more real realistic? Because now water bore can get water from the void!!! And why the water is clean? I like dytech idea with dirty water
I did plan to change this eventually to be like the pumpjack, needing to be placed on a water spring, so you can only find Water, or Lithia water in splotchs around the map.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”