Bob mods for 0.12 General Topic.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Robotic Intermediates would be useful for Logistics and Warfare. Should I:

Poll ended at Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:38 pm

Mirror the research and intermediates in both mods.
6%
Create a new Robotic Overhaul and expansion mod. (Similar in style to the Electronics mod, which Logistics and Warfare use for their robots)
45%
Place the new intermediates in a common mod (The Intermediates part of Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates mod)
48%

Total votes: 31

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Bob mods for 0.12 General Topic.

Post by bobingabout »

QuackerJ4ck wrote:Pro:
+Great early game. I like the dependency on lead, wood and the steap curve in chemical processing
+ore processing and mixing is a cool addition
+gettin electric circits together is more rewarding (infrastructure wise)
thanks.

QuackerJ4ck wrote:Con:
-i really doesn't like the upgrade recipes. The need of a MK1, Mk2 and so on seems very lazy design wise.
It works for solar panels and personal equipment items bc i can argue that the envolved research saves space, BUT it doesn't work for
machines and poles.
ie MK1 electrial pole need steel and copper wire. but why do i need the exact same pole just to use a higher wire (up to gold wire) AND another frame made by a higher tier metal.
This doesn't make sense to me, bc i end up with a pole that has 3-4 poles in it and should use 2x2 square. Same goes with machines.
This is done basically to follow the style of the basegame. Assembling machine upgrades to Assembling maching mK2 upgrades to assembling machine MK3, and many more examples.
I agree, it doesn't make a whole heap of sense in the long run short of keeping the demand for low tier resources high, and allowing you to make use of old equipment, but, those are the only 2 points it really has going for it.

There have been considerations done about possible route for an alternate recipe structure where you have to build a MK2, or even MK6 from the ground up with a much more complex recipe. Keep in mind though that to automate more complex recipes requires a more complex machine, you might notice that the last raw productivity module, and the high end god modules can only be made in assembling machine MK6. (Each MK assembling machine can make things with upto twice it's mk of ingredients, the MK6 upto 12)
QuackerJ4ck wrote:-The whole design of the circuit boards for research. They are in a nutshell just a bit cheaper version of the electronic circuit bords. Why not just use them? And let the circuits just upgrade each other.
You mean the ones with no electronics on them vs the ones that do, for science pack 1? take a look at what it takes to make the ones with electronics on, you need to do a fair bit of science pack 1 research to unlock the abillity to make them. that's why.
or did I miss the question?
QuackerJ4ck wrote:-the god module - absolute nonsense in my eyes.
They are overpowered, that's why they're called God. in the mod for version 0.13 they will be disabled by default. Also the productivity intermediate items filters will be turned on by default too (The filter that means you can't use productivity modules on most things, like the limit in the base game)
QuackerJ4ck wrote:-the steep drop down in recipes for high tier metals. They are just used for upgrades to become "betterer" and nothing depend on your ongoing research like lead and tin. Sad.
That's mostly because I haven't gotten around to that part yet :P
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

QuackerJ4ck
Inserter
Inserter

Post by QuackerJ4ck »

You mean the ones with no electronics on them vs the ones that do, for science pack 1? take a look at what it takes to make the ones with electronics on, you need to do a fair bit of science pack 1 research to unlock the abillity to make them. that's why.
or did I miss the question?
i mean the module-boards that go into modules lab.
When i think more about it, i guess you wanted to split up the tech tree a bit by not walling of the player with a new resource - which is always good.
But the first impression was a but "huh.. wat?"

Lallante
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lallante »

I think my only "general" complaint about Bobs mods is that in the (laudible) drive for complexity and depth, for most items the need for "throughput" is gone. Once you have 2000 or so of any of the non-basic-tier metals, you are set for the rest of the game almost. You build all this complex processing infrastructure
for e.g. Titanium and then after an initial spurt of production it sits effectively idle for the rest of the game (very low volume production). Its a little "boring" that this kind of stuff is only used to unlock higher tiers of existing items. I mean, I like having a mk5 something as much as the next guy but when 3 x mk1s do the same job so much cheaper it doesnt really seem like a good return on the investment in infrastructure. You only really need to bother with the higher tier stuff to set yourself a challenge.

Also for gods sake do something about the salt byproduct from chlorine production - so much more use of it is needed to avoid massive massive overflow.

CartesianBear
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CartesianBear »

Lallante wrote:Also for gods sake do something about the salt byproduct from chlorine production - so much more use of it is needed to avoid massive massive overflow.
That's what active provider chests and a storage chest farm are for. :-)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

CartesianBear wrote:
Lallante wrote:Also for gods sake do something about the salt byproduct from chlorine production - so much more use of it is needed to avoid massive massive overflow.
I'm usually using a compression chest. Since it requires a lot of stuff as temporary solution warehouse works :D

NekoDwarf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NekoDwarf »

orzelek wrote:
CartesianBear wrote:
I'm usually using a compression chest. Since it requires a lot of stuff as temporary solution warehouse works :D
I make simple mod, and now from 100 salt i make 1 solid fuel -)
P.S. Sorry for my English.
P.P.S : Bob , Yuoki , Angel I love you.

S3ssion
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by S3ssion »

I encountered a problem when playing with all bob mods enabled while being in sandbox mode.
When I try to craft items that are normally craftable by hand, (e.g. wooden boards) the game tells me that those aren't craftable by hand.
I enjoy factorio more when I play the sandbox mode, but the fact that I cannot create basic materials makes it impossible.
(e.g. I need wooden boards to build an assembler, which I need to make them in the first place)
I hope someone can help me with this issue.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

S3ssion wrote:I encountered a problem when playing with all bob mods enabled while being in sandbox mode.
When I try to craft items that are normally craftable by hand, (e.g. wooden boards) the game tells me that those aren't craftable by hand.
I enjoy factorio more when I play the sandbox mode, but the fact that I cannot create basic materials makes it impossible.
(e.g. I need wooden boards to build an assembler, which I need to make them in the first place)
That one specific example sounds like the issue you get when you research plastics (The synthetic wood recipe gets set as the default when it tries to auto-queue everything to make an object, an annoying bug that I can't fix), as a result, you have to manually make wood first, then wooden boards with the correct recipe.

Though to be honest, I havn't tried it in Sandbox mod, everything is buildable in the normal mode.
I also have a Patreon.

S3ssion
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by S3ssion »

bobingabout wrote:
S3ssion wrote:I encountered a problem when playing with all bob mods enabled while being in sandbox mode.
That one specific example sounds like the issue you get when you research plastics (The synthetic wood recipe gets set as the default when it tries to auto-queue everything to make an object, an annoying bug that I can't fix), as a result, you have to manually make wood first, then wooden boards with the correct recipe.

Though to be honest, I havn't tried it in Sandbox mod, everything is buildable in the normal mode.
I also thought that this might be the problem, but I tried it again just now and the recipe for wooden boards shows that I need regular wood (which I actually can craft in sandbox). The same problem occurs when I try to craft copper cables and the recipe for those do not change when during the game afaik.
I will try crafting the copper cables without any of your mods active to test out if they actually are causing it.

EDIT: I tried crafting the copper cables in the sanbox mode without your mods and it worked just fine

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

This does sound like a very strange issue... I don't know what could be causing it to be honest, I mean, my mods basically just add new items, recipes and technology etc in the same way the base game does.
I also have a Patreon.

S3ssion
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by S3ssion »

Well, I just "fixed" it by cheating in a few assemblers to craft the items for me. It is kinda tedious, but I have to use assemblers for the later recipes anyways.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Oh right, I changed some of the items to crafting category Electronics, which was added to the player entity. If you're playing in the mode without a player character, that might be the issue.
I also have a Patreon.

Iknownothing
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Iknownothing »

Arch666Angel wrote:
Iknownothing wrote:Hi im new to the game and i tried installing your mods. Many of them seem to require Dye-tech Metallurgy wich seems to have no downloads anymore / is discontiniued. The same seems to be the case for f-mod. Do you know where i could get them and if so if the old versions still work?

mfg
iknownothing
All the requirements that have a "?" up front are optional, so bobmods will change something if they are present, but will also without them. In other words: You don't need Dytech or F-mod, bobmods is standalone.
Thank you both

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

bobingabout wrote:Oh right, I changed some of the items to crafting category Electronics, which was added to the player entity. If you're playing in the mode without a player character, that might be the issue.
I have looked into the issue... It can't be fixed. the "God mode controller" can only craft items of the Crafting category "crafting" and is hardcoded.
So, there's nothing I can do about it, and still have electronic assembling machines work only for electronics.
I also have a Patreon.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

bobingabout wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Oh right, I changed some of the items to crafting category Electronics, which was added to the player entity. If you're playing in the mode without a player character, that might be the issue.
I have looked into the issue... It can't be fixed. the "God mode controller" can only craft items of the Crafting category "crafting" and is hardcoded.
So, there's nothing I can do about it, and still have electronic assembling machines work only for electronics.
You could load an extra recipe/category if the game loads as sandbox mode?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Arch666Angel wrote:You could load an extra recipe/category if the game loads as sandbox mode?
from what I'm told, you can't.
I also have a Patreon.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Bob,

Really enjoyingh playing with your mod!
I'm playing with qjm's reskin and it's really nice. It's called ExtraChests for now, but it's a re-skin.

I've not read through this topic, so what I'm saying below was probably already discussed. Here is some feedback I have playing with Bob's (All), RSO & Natural Evolution, with really hard spawn settings. (Low resources, high enemies):

- You need an earlier version of the modules. By the time one can build modules, it's so late in the game that I'm not really using them anymore. Would be fun to have weaker versions earlier to play with.

- Roboport - unless I'm mistaken, and that could easily be the case sine there is a lot of stuff and I might be overlooking it. It seems that I can build bots, early, but in order to build the roboport you need the one tier higher circuit.
I think it's advanced-circuit for robo-port vs. regular for bots. Would be nice if there was a very small port that did not need advanced-circuit.
(Again, I might be missing it if there is)

- It would also be nice to have a process that produces trace elements of rare ores. Like in my current game I don't have any gold on my explored map. (and it's big). So it would have been nice to have a advanced process that could have as a by product very small amounts of rare elements, so I could have something until I finally find some gold on the map. Something similar to the advanced lead process that give silver. But I'm thinking of much smaller quantities.

Enjoying every minute though!

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

- It would also be nice to have a process that produces trace elements of rare ores. Like in my current game I don't have any gold on my explored map. (and it's big). So it would have been nice to have a advanced process that could have as a by product very small amounts of rare elements, so I could have something until I finally find some gold on the map. Something similar to the advanced lead process that give silver. But I'm thinking of much smaller quantities.
Try my refining mod for your next playthrough with bobmods :D

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

TheSAguy wrote:You need an earlier version of the modules. By the time one can build modules, it's so late in the game that I'm not really using them anymore. Would be fun to have weaker versions earlier to play with.
This is worth considering. I'm actually also considering changing research tree to remove the unique module components from the research labs, and go back to the old method, or at the very least make an option for it. Depending on how this goes, I might be able to make simplified modules, but still, Advanced Electronics (using transistors) is probably the lowest I'd go with it.
TheSAguy wrote:Roboport - unless I'm mistaken, and that could easily be the case sine there is a lot of stuff and I might be overlooking it. It seems that I can build bots, early, but in order to build the roboport you need the one tier higher circuit.
I think it's advanced-circuit for robo-port vs. regular for bots. Would be nice if there was a very small port that did not need advanced-circuit.
(Again, I might be missing it if there is)
Mainly because this is how it is in the base game. One of the robots requires the normal electronic circuit board, the other requires advanced. As a result, to space the tiers evenly, I reduced the other bot to match the lower tier electronics (Which I will likely replace in a future mod with a custom made construction/logistics "Brain" circuit board)
I did not reduce the roboport mainly because of the whole "Trying not to change too much of the base game" thing... I will likely replace the entire recipe to be made from roboport components (Like MK2 to MK4) in the future, perhaps when I do this I'll lower the requirements. After all, requiring advanced circuits is a considerable step up, like blue science pack level of technology, when the roboport itself is green science level.
TheSAguy wrote:It would also be nice to have a process that produces trace elements of rare ores. Like in my current game I don't have any gold on my explored map. (and it's big). So it would have been nice to have a advanced process that could have as a by product very small amounts of rare elements, so I could have something until I finally find some gold on the map. Something similar to the advanced lead process that give silver. But I'm thinking of much smaller quantities.
I have been thinking about this sort of thing myself already, basically, just more of the advanced processing recipes that give extracted by-products, like lead giving silver, and copper giving cobalt.

Would it be a bad thing if they gave numerous by product materials? like Iron giving Nickel, lead and sulphur? As long as it's realistic anyway.
I also have a Patreon.

smartsoldier
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by smartsoldier »

Sorry if this has been answered before (the search button didn't help): How do I get access to science packs 4 and 5? I have things I need science pack 4 to research, but I can't find the research that will allow me to unlock it.

Found it. Wow im stupid.
Last edited by smartsoldier on Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bob's mods”