Bob mods for 0.12 General Topic.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Robotic Intermediates would be useful for Logistics and Warfare. Should I:

Poll ended at Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:38 pm

Mirror the research and intermediates in both mods.
6%
Create a new Robotic Overhaul and expansion mod. (Similar in style to the Electronics mod, which Logistics and Warfare use for their robots)
45%
Place the new intermediates in a common mod (The Intermediates part of Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates mod)
48%

Total votes: 31

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Bob mods for 0.12

Post by irbork »

bobingabout wrote:
irbork wrote:Currently when I disable ores/plates/electronics to get vanilla like :roll: experience with all the nice bobs equipment I am unable to get all the tiers of power armor and other stuff that goes inside.
Is it intended or a bug?
can you be a bit more specific?

turning mods on is easy, and usually has migration scripts to "Fix" things that arn't as the mod tells them they should be.
turning mods off isn't as easy, because there is no migration script to fix the issues... it is probably related to this.
you'll need to run the reset_recipes and reset_technologies commands.
I meant whole new game with ores/plates/electronics not present in mod directory. You can't craft more advanced power armors and fusion reactors etc. I think those could be made just by upgrading them with more steel, batteries and advanced processing units.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Armour and it's modules are part of the Warfare mod. The warfare mod has a hard dependancy on plates, meaning, if you don't have plates, you don't have my warfare mod. That would be why you can't craft them. If you check the mods list in game you should notice that Warfare is in red, meaning it is turned off because of a dependancy error.

The reason why it was a hard dependancy is because I started with Ammo, which basically starts by adding to the end of the nitrogen chain, the nitrogen chain being in the plates mod. This is because I was looking at realism when I first started, I have driften away from this a little as it has evolved though.
Although I could possibly make some things depend on base game materials only, there's a lot in that mod that I don't want to (like the ammo). Also, since the entire mod was written under the assumption that plates would be there (due to the requirement on the nitrogen chain from the start), it would be a lot of effort to change it to remove the dependancy.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Poll time again!

Simple one this time. Some other mods (Namely DyTech) have a CORE mod that is required for all their other mods to function.

I am thinking of doing the same, but not for arbitrary recipes and items used by many of their mods like they do. This mod would simply and purely contain functions and other variable definitions required to make some of my other mods work.

Currently, I am defining some functions in more than one mod, for example, the functions to make manipulation of science packs "Safe" (Okay, it isn't truely safe, but definitely a lot safer than the method I was using before the function), or making it easier to add unlocks to technology research. The function to add intermediates to productivity module limitations, etc...

The idea is that any of these things that are defined in more than one mod, or functions that could potentially be useful to other modders would be removed for the mods they're in now, and added to my Core mod.

Now, vote on the poll, and reply with any opinions. Thank you.
Poll duration limited to 2 weeks.
I also have a Patreon.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

A Core mod sounds like a good idea and a very logical approach, if you're doing the same stuff in multiple places right now. Should make things easier to maintain. One thing I'd like to add though: when I tried DyTech a long time ago, I really disliked how core mod already made massive changes to the game (not sure if it still does, haven't looked at Dytech stuff since). That pretty much made those massive base changes a requirement for any of the cool additional stuff. But from your description and the way you approach these things so far, I expect you'll get it right anyway ;)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Updated again

Biggest changes worth noting is the battery update. Ag2O-Zn is Silver-Oxide Zinc battery. I named it Silver Zinc battery. it is also known commercially as Silver-Oxide battery, or just Silver battery.

other than that it's just the ores/plates updates/layout changes
Also plates now conforms to productivity filters.
changes wrote:ores 0.12.5:
Changed the use of enable tag.
moved enable tags to plates mod. all ores are now disabled unless set in config.
Added compatabillity for sheet type 5, oil based image.
bob_create_ore_resource(data) now accepts tags category, minimum, normal, infinite, collision_box, selection_box and disable_map_grid.
bob_ore_sprite (the sprite section of bob_create_ore_resource data) now accepts tags scale, width, height, frame_count and variation_count

plates 0.12.6:
added silver-nitrate, silver-oxide and silver-zinc-battery
added productivity limitations
added silver-from-lead locale entry
Added battery overide config option that changes the battery technology prerequisite and recipe ingredients.
Added ores config options
Changed chemical plant MK2 to MK4 to use a tinted image mask instead of unique graphics.
plates 0.12.7:
Fixed a critical bug with the productivity intermediate limitations functions that prevented loading
Deleted redundant chemical plant graphics.

Warfare mod 0.12.5:
Changed laser ammo MK3-4 to use Li-Ion battery, MK5-6 to use Ag2O-Zn battery.
Changed Laser turret MK5 to use Ag2O-Zn battery and advanced processing unit (was using processing unit by accident)
Changed personal Laser defence MK5-6 and battery MK5 equipment to use Ag2O-Zn battery

Power mod 0.12.4:
Changed Accumulator MK2s to use Li Ion battery, and MK3s to use Ag2O-Zn battery.

logistics 0.12.5:
changed robots and charge port MK3 to use Li-Ion battery, and MK4 to use Ag2O-Zn
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Do I even need to wait 2 weeks for the poll to end? Everyone has voted yes so far! :D
I also have a Patreon.

Timeslice
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Timeslice »

bobingabout wrote:Do I even need to wait 2 weeks for the poll to end? Everyone has voted yes so far! :D
Definitely no reason to wait if you don't want to :) I was under the impression that bobtech was your core mod...

Is there anything you can do about dytech duplicate plate recipes (i.e. zinc in a furnace instead of zinc+sulfuric acid, gold in a furnace instead of gold+chlorine, tungsten in a furnace, etc.) and the fact that bob's overrides dytech's research requirements to be able to process tin and lead plates in a furnace?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Timeslice wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Do I even need to wait 2 weeks for the poll to end? Everyone has voted yes so far! :D
Definitely no reason to wait if you don't want to :) I was under the impression that bobtech was your core mod...

Is there anything you can do about dytech duplicate plate recipes (i.e. zinc in a furnace instead of zinc+sulfuric acid, gold in a furnace instead of gold+chlorine, tungsten in a furnace, etc.) and the fact that bob's overrides dytech's research requirements to be able to process tin and lead plates in a furnace?
Nothing I can do about the duplicate recipes, the only solution is not to install the mod that adds the recipes... well, there is an extensive check to delete it if it exists, but that's not very friendly to other mods, so I would rather not do it.

As for the research... my metal plates researchs should not overide anyone elses. they're built in such a way that they only create the research if it doesn't already exist. then change the research requirements to suit those of my mod, then add in my further unlocks, so although they may apear as my researchs, they should also unlock everything they would have without my mod too.
I also have a Patreon.

Timeslice
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Timeslice »

bobingabout wrote:As for the research... my metal plates researchs should not overide anyone elses. they're built in such a way that they only create the research if it doesn't already exist. then change the research requirements to suit those of my mod, then add in my further unlocks, so although they may apear as my researchs, they should also unlock everything they would have without my mod too.
You've got the problem backwards. Researching Dytech's Tin, Lead, etc. Processing technology unlocks producing those plates in a furnace just fine, except that your mod already allows you to smelt those ores in a furnace before the dytech research is done. Basically tin, lead, and silver plates need to not be enabled if dytech core is detected (so that they have to be unlocked by the dytech research).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Timeslice wrote:
bobingabout wrote:As for the research... my metal plates researchs should not overide anyone elses. they're built in such a way that they only create the research if it doesn't already exist. then change the research requirements to suit those of my mod, then add in my further unlocks, so although they may apear as my researchs, they should also unlock everything they would have without my mod too.
You've got the problem backwards. Researching Dytech's Tin, Lead, etc. Processing technology unlocks producing those plates in a furnace just fine, except that your mod already allows you to smelt those ores in a furnace before the dytech research is done. Basically tin, lead, and silver plates need to not be enabled if dytech core is detected (so that they have to be unlocked by the dytech research).
Ah, right, well, Tin and Lead are quite unavoidable in my mod as being as basic and required as Copper and Iron. You need them to start making Solder for electronics. Without this there's so many things you can't build. not to mention that sticking them in a furnace and smelting them is something you don't need to research how to do, it's just basic knowledge, like smelting copper and iron.

Although I could change this... I don't think it's worth writing in too many dytech overides, or allowances, he seems to do a major rewrite about once per major revission. And I happen to know one of these major rewrites is in process right now.
I also have a Patreon.

Timeslice
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Timeslice »

It was, but he's been MIA for about two weeks now. I hope he's taking a vacation or something, because redesigning all of his intermediates is going to be quite a daunting and lengthy task. That's partly why I came to you with these two issues, as working on the new metallurgy module is going to be taking up all of his time.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

It would be very helpful to have all the config variables for things like CheaperSteel and ore settings in one place, and I don't have to edit them every time I download a new version of one of your mods.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Degraine wrote:It would be very helpful to have all the config variables for things like CheaperSteel and ore settings in one place, and I don't have to edit them every time I download a new version of one of your mods.
I was actually having that exact same thought about 20 minutes ago.

bobconfig mod:
EVERYTHING in the base mod just uses a default. Config mod is optional dependancy in all mods that have a config setting. you set a config option, it overides the default mod values... or more accurately, the mod wouldn't set it's default value.

The main reason why I had the thought though was for multiplayer compatabillity. 10 different people all have the same mods, but a couple of them change some config options and forget about it... the game will think, and report that they all have the same mod versions, but will desync when someone with a different config tries to connect.

If you had just one config mod, then if those strange errors start happening, you know where you should look first, most likely you'd choose not to use it at all in multiplayer, just to make sure everyone was using the same (default) config.

The config mod itself would likely get updates every once in a while though, like when I add new variables/options, or change the config layout (I've changed it twice so far that I recall. the first time to add them all to the bobsmods global variable, the second time when I restructured it because of the change to the ores mod)
I also have a Patreon.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

If possible, perhaps this mod could also communicate with all players which settings to use (or even better: take the settings from the savegame, so it gets set by the person generating the map and doesn't change anymore). If that isn't possible, it probably should be ;)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Boogieman14 wrote:If possible, perhaps this mod could also communicate with all players which settings to use (or even better: take the settings from the savegame, so it gets set by the person generating the map and doesn't change anymore). If that isn't possible, it probably should be ;)

Unfortunately, my config options change the data assets, which are all defined on game load, once the game is loaded, they can't be changed. what you're sugesting would be an in game runtime script, which is too late to effect the data assets, so therefore isn't possible.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

New poll up.

Some people had mentioned that having a config file in each mod can make it awkward to keep the config files consistant in multiplayer, or annoying having to reconfigure each mod every time they installed an update (config file structure may change with time, so copying the config file to the new mod doesn't always work)

The idea is to remove the config files from all mods, and use the current defaults. Then have a new config mod that overides the config options in these mods if you want to use something other than the default.

Some options such as drainless inserters (in logistics mod), drainless laser turrets (in warfare mod) and infinite ores (in ores mod), which are all off by default could be removed from those mods, and moved into the config mod, meaning it can be used to overide these functions independantly of any of my other mods being installed, providing a function for itself.

As per usual, Discuss and vote!
I also have a Patreon.

Timeslice
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Timeslice »

You forgot to set the end time for the poll, so it's already closed.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Timeslice wrote:You forgot to set the end time for the poll, so it's already closed.
that should fix it.
I also have a Patreon.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

So, even with the fastest belt, you can't feed components fast enough. Only bots and chests can provide the necessary throughput.

I optimize for the greatest productivity at the expense of energy efficiency, so I also found myself building out large number of MARK III steam engines, converting coals to heavy oils, and then into a oil burner boiler from another mod.

And with that, come heavy pollution, which became annoying because quite often, my inserters and belts get destroyed by area effects, and there's no armored variants.

Timeslice
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Timeslice »

kiba wrote:So, even with the fastest belt, you can't feed components fast enough. Only bots and chests can provide the necessary throughput.

I optimize for the greatest productivity at the expense of energy efficiency, so I also found myself building out large number of MARK III steam engines, converting coals to heavy oils, and then into a oil burner boiler from another mod.

And with that, come heavy pollution, which became annoying because quite often, my inserters and belts get destroyed by area effects, and there's no armored variants.
First off, use liquid fuel to fuel your boilers. They're worth 125(?)MJ each, or five times as much as solid fuel. Second, if your belts and inserters are getting blown up then they're too close to the enemy. Push out your walls, and/or switch to laser turrets which have better range than gun turrets and don't need to be fed. Third, the highest tier assemblers are meant to be used with the inserter stack size bonus. Belts just won't ever cut it for them. And finally, going max production is actually self-defeating and counter productive. I can often beat the game much faster and with much less hassle with my moderate, balanced, smaller factory than my friends do with their massive mass-production factories. Going all out is really just chasing rainbows.

Return to “Bob's mods”