What should I do with science packs?

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Corvenus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: What should I do with science packs?

Post by Corvenus »

Loving your science changes so far especially since it means combining more of our interesting metals into science

I'd have to say personally i'd take a few things a step further

I've always been a fan of the idea that the science cost tweaker mod introduced where you make specific items just for science, while i'm not saying this should be used here as that's a major rework but a few of the packs use just a plate along with a number of other times that plate feels under modified

Eg Blue science is
a electronic circuit of some sort (can't remember exactly which one)
an engine
a battary
a bronze plate

the last plate just doesnt seem to fit as much since its much less engineered as it were. While putting in a bronze pipe doesn't seem to fit quite right either it would seem to fit better with everything else as everything is already being modified in some form from the basic plate. While a brass gear wheel doesn't feel right either as those are used all over in lots of different recepie's so if you don't want to make a totally new item just for the blue science maybe put it in as a bronze underground pipe to add a few extra steps to the requirement to bring it more in line with the other parts of the pack

Not sure i'm explaining my thought process that well but hopefully you can follow. Each of the other steps for the blue pack require several different creation machines of various sorts while the bronze is just 3 furnaces so much smaller at most and could be done with 2

NewSwiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NewSwiss »

I really like the new science system. In the 0.14 version, doing infinite science was fairly straightforward, and was heavily weighted towards iron and copper, with a bit of lead and tin needed for electronics. Now, with rocket science (and the changes to rockets and satellites), I actually need to maintain a constant production stream of silicon, aluminum, silver, gold, titanium, and tungsten. With Angel's on top, nickel and cobalt factor in as well, in their application toward iron and titanium. My current campaign is my longest running to date by a factor of 2.

The only thing that I'm undecided about is the exponential cost scaling of infinite research. The robot speed techs DOUBLE in cost every time, but still only grant +65% robot speed. I feel like either they should grant an increasing %speed each time, or the exponent should be smaller (1.2 or 1.5). Though I'm not sure about that, since right now robot speed research is my primary campaign goal. I'll report back after I've got my factory launching a rocket per minute.
Corvenus wrote:the bronze plate just doesnt seem to fit as much since its much less engineered as it were.
It's a throwback to the old blue science. If you recall, blue science used to take steel plate alongside all the other, more high-tech stuff. IMO, each tier of science doesn't need to take equivalent-tier components, it just needs to be a fair cost per science. Bronze does this, IMO, as it is just a flat copper/tin cost, rather than iron, in keeping with the rest of Bob's mods.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

yeah doubling each time, the numbers get very big very fast. When i stopped playing i was up to robot speed 9, which already costs 128k science packs :shock: (deathworld preset)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

unfortunately, the cost doubling every time is a base game issue. it is possible to change the formula to not do this.

I've personally only made 2 things infinite (And I actually programmed in an end level, because being infinite was getting silly)
One is for character inventory slots. I forgot what the other one was, but it was logistics related. After doing a bit of testing, I found that doubling every level is a good deterrent to try and prevent you from possible game breaking multipliers.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Termak »

NewSwiss wrote:I really like the new science system. In the 0.14 version, doing infinite science was fairly straightforward, and was heavily weighted towards iron and copper, with a bit of lead and tin needed for electronics. Now, with rocket science (and the changes to rockets and satellites), I actually need to maintain a constant production stream of silicon, aluminum, silver, gold, titanium, and tungsten. With Angel's on top, nickel and cobalt factor in as well, in their application toward iron and titanium. My current campaign is my longest running to date by a factor of 2.

The only thing that I'm undecided about is the exponential cost scaling of infinite research. The robot speed techs DOUBLE in cost every time, but still only grant +65% robot speed. I feel like either they should grant an increasing %speed each time, or the exponent should be smaller (1.2 or 1.5). Though I'm not sure about that, since right now robot speed research is my primary campaign goal. I'll report back after I've got my factory launching a rocket per minute.
Corvenus wrote:the bronze plate just doesnt seem to fit as much since its much less engineered as it were.
It's a throwback to the old blue science. If you recall, blue science used to take steel plate alongside all the other, more high-tech stuff. IMO, each tier of science doesn't need to take equivalent-tier components, it just needs to be a fair cost per science. Bronze does this, IMO, as it is just a flat copper/tin cost, rather than iron, in keeping with the rest of Bob's mods.
Imo its good that robotspeed doesnt go up that fast with research since they are quite zippy already with t4 bots and couple researches, they would just start to basically teleport around the place later on which would be bit silly. And having the bronze plate at research pack is kinda cool since it isnt really used anywhere after beginning, nice to get some use for it.

NewSwiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NewSwiss »

Termak wrote: Imo its good that robotspeed doesnt go up that fast with research since they are quite zippy already with t4 bots and couple researches, they would just start to basically teleport around the place later on which would be bit silly.
I would say that it is awesome, not silly. I can't tell you how satisfying it is to have robots instantly deliver logistics requests. And it's practical as well for megafactories. Robots are essential for conserving UPS when you're building big, but they still take processing power. The faster your robots get, the fewer of them you need, and the better the game will run at large scale. IMO, getting to really fast robot speeds would be a useful goal for people trying to build __ rockets per minute factories, but with the current scaling, it's simply impractical.

Factorie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factorie »

I'm still new to the game. Since Alien packs were replaced, does that mean that having a world without aliens in it remove blocking off some items in the late game?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Factorie wrote:I'm still new to the game. Since Alien packs were replaced, does that mean that having a world without aliens in it remove blocking off some items in the late game?
Short answer: Yes. That's pretty much WHY the artifacts were removed.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Factorie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factorie »

bobingabout wrote:
Factorie wrote:I'm still new to the game. Since Alien packs were replaced, does that mean that having a world without aliens in it remove blocking off some items in the late game?
Short answer: Yes. That's pretty much WHY the artifacts were removed.
Yay! I never found aliens to be that important in the game and are just more of a headache.

Return to “Bob's mods”