Stronger explosives in the wiki seems off

Anything related to the content on our wiki (https://wiki.factorio.com/)

Moderator: Bilka

michelguenette
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Stronger explosives in the wiki seems off

Post by michelguenette »

I happened to look at the wiki page about Stronger explosives because I was curious about whether or not the radius of the nuclear blast would increase in size on screen. However, when I paid more attention to the values for infinite research, something did not jive.

For Level 7, the equation states that the value increases as 2^(Level - 6)*1000, which should be 2000, instead of 1000, like it displays.

=2^(Level - 6) * 1000
=2^(7 - 6) * 1000
=2^1 * 1000
=2 * 1000
=2000

I decided to load a new map to verify what Factorio uses. I typed /cheat and /editor in the console command. When I opened up the technology tree, it showed that Level 8 costs 2000 science. Here is where it gets stranger. There is no Level 7 available to be selected from the tree.

I scrolled back up through the tree to verify the first six Stronger explosives technologies were listed. Their values match what is on the wiki, but Level 7 is nowhere to be found. It seems strange that the icon includes 7-[infinity], but the actual level that is displayed is 8 as the first infinite science for this branch.

Has this gone unnoticed all this time?

If so, then the equation will need to change from 6 to 7, and Level 7 needs to be a selectable technology in the tree.

I have not looked as closely at the other infinite sciences, so there might need to be a similar adjustment made if a level is skipped in those branches.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Stronger explosives in the wiki seems off

Post by DaveMcW »

You are correct, the actual formula uses (Level - 7)

I updated the wiki.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

michelguenette wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:00 am
Here is where it gets stranger. There is no Level 7 available to be selected from the tree … Level 7 is nowhere to be found. It seems strange that the icon includes 7-[infinity], but the actual level that is displayed is 8 as the first infinite science for this branch.
Typing /cheat would have researched all technologies, including level 7.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

michelguenette wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:00 am
[…]
I scrolled back up through the tree to verify the first six Stronger explosives technologies were listed. Their values match what is on the wiki, but Level 7 is nowhere to be found. It seems strange that the icon includes 7-[infinity], but the actual level that is displayed is 8 as the first infinite science for this branch.
[…]
Level 7 is clearly visible as the first level of the infinite science in the tech tree before you type /cheat

michelguenette
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by michelguenette »

Thank you for letting me know that I made an incorrect assumption. It was late in my time zone, and I just wanted to verify the result quickly. I was partially right though, with the formula being written wrong on the wiki. Actually, I performed the test twice, but I did not spend enough time looking at the 'pre-cheat' technology tree in order to see the Level 7 for the first infinite technology of that branch.

I am just happy to help out where I can, when I see something is incorrect.

Return to “Wiki Talk”