Stronger explosives in the wiki seems off

Anything related to the content on our wiki (https://wiki.factorio.com/)

Moderator: Bilka

michelguenette
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Stronger explosives in the wiki seems off

Post by michelguenette »

I happened to look at the wiki page about Stronger explosives because I was curious about whether or not the radius of the nuclear blast would increase in size on screen. However, when I paid more attention to the values for infinite research, something did not jive.

For Level 7, the equation states that the value increases as 2^(Level - 6)*1000, which should be 2000, instead of 1000, like it displays.

=2^(Level - 6) * 1000
=2^(7 - 6) * 1000
=2^1 * 1000
=2 * 1000
=2000

I decided to load a new map to verify what Factorio uses. I typed /cheat and /editor in the console command. When I opened up the technology tree, it showed that Level 8 costs 2000 science. Here is where it gets stranger. There is no Level 7 available to be selected from the tree.

I scrolled back up through the tree to verify the first six Stronger explosives technologies were listed. Their values match what is on the wiki, but Level 7 is nowhere to be found. It seems strange that the icon includes 7-[infinity], but the actual level that is displayed is 8 as the first infinite science for this branch.

Has this gone unnoticed all this time?

If so, then the equation will need to change from 6 to 7, and Level 7 needs to be a selectable technology in the tree.

I have not looked as closely at the other infinite sciences, so there might need to be a similar adjustment made if a level is skipped in those branches.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Stronger explosives in the wiki seems off

Post by DaveMcW »

You are correct, the actual formula uses (Level - 7)

I updated the wiki.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

michelguenette wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:00 am
Here is where it gets stranger. There is no Level 7 available to be selected from the tree … Level 7 is nowhere to be found. It seems strange that the icon includes 7-[infinity], but the actual level that is displayed is 8 as the first infinite science for this branch.
Typing /cheat would have researched all technologies, including level 7.
: Alea jacta est. Determine what you intend to accomplish with an action before execution.
Have you ever heard the gospel? Most have not.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

michelguenette wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:00 am
[…]
I scrolled back up through the tree to verify the first six Stronger explosives technologies were listed. Their values match what is on the wiki, but Level 7 is nowhere to be found. It seems strange that the icon includes 7-[infinity], but the actual level that is displayed is 8 as the first infinite science for this branch.
[…]
Level 7 is clearly visible as the first level of the infinite science in the tech tree before you type /cheat

michelguenette
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by michelguenette »

Thank you for letting me know that I made an incorrect assumption. It was late in my time zone, and I just wanted to verify the result quickly. I was partially right though, with the formula being written wrong on the wiki. Actually, I performed the test twice, but I did not spend enough time looking at the 'pre-cheat' technology tree in order to see the Level 7 for the first infinite technology of that branch.

I am just happy to help out where I can, when I see something is incorrect.

Return to “Wiki Talk”