Translations of FFFs

Anything related to the content on our wiki (https://wiki.factorio.com/)

Moderator: Bilka

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Translations of FFFs

Post by Hares »

Hi there.

Could the FFFs be translated into other languages?
If so, can the wiki be a place for that?

Ziomek24
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Translations of FFFs

Post by Ziomek24 »

Use automatic website translation....

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

You're welcome to make translations and put them on the wiki. When you do, please put the languages template on the page and put the page into the "Friday Facts" category.

Once there is a translation for an FFF, it will be possible to link to the category on the main page of that language.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hares »

Bilka wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:55 pm
You're welcome to make translations and put them on the wiki. When you do, please put the languages template on the page and put the page into the "Friday Facts" category.

Once there is a translation for an FFF, it will be possible to link to the category on the main page of that language.
Question 1
The Translation Guide states that you should only create translations for pages existing in English. Should I wikify the English version of FFF first?
Proposal: no
Question 2
What is the proper way to attach images/videos from the FFF? Should they be first uploaded as wiki media files? Should MP4s be converted to GIFs first?
Proposal: yes; yes
Question 3
What should be the name of the page? Should it be "FFF-123: Localized page name" or just "FFF-123"?
Same question for the URL.
Proposal: "FFF-123: Localized page name"; "/FFF-123:_Original_name", plus a redirect page from "/FFF-123" and/or "/fff-123"

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

I think the name should be in the format "Original name/language code" e.g "Friday Facts #375 - Quality/de" for the latest edition in German. The localised title can then be added to Template:Translations/de or whatever language you want.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hares »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:42 pm
I think the name should be in the format "Original name/language code" e.g "Friday Facts #375 - Quality/de" for the latest edition in German. The localised title can then be added to Template:Translations/de or whatever language you want.
Well, I meant localized title xD

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

Hares wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:48 pm
Well, I meant localized title xD
Ah ok, sorry :lol:

I think that decision can be left to the translators. Sure, there should be a system for each language but besides that there is no need to make a unified system for all languages. In German I would probably just use "Friday Facts #375 - Qualität", but I could imagine that in other languages they might want to translate "Friday Facts" as well.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Question 1: No need to make an English page/wikify the FFF. Once there are translations it might be nice to make the specific English page that links to the FFF and the translated versions, but I don't think the FFF itself should be on the wiki.

Question 2: It's not viable to convert the mp4's to gifs, those would be huge and run into compression problems. Make pngs as previews and link to the mp4's from the FFF. You can also link to the mp4 in the caption. The images need to be uploaded to the wiki to be embedded.

Question 3: Ickputzdirwech gave a good answer, I agree with them.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Return to “Wiki Talk”