Recently I've been trying to convert my friend group to
I had in mind that experimental demo from FFF#306:
- divided into sections, which are split into micro-segments;
- progressivly introducing the more and more intricate tasks as well as gradually showing the joy of completing them;
- presenting new resources, mechanics, phenomenons and ideas within comfortable time intervals for the slowest and the fastest learners;
- revealing only basic early game content and twisting it in a easy to understand way;
- with little to no have-this-number-of-this-stuff-in-this-chest type of tasks;
- enabling the player to set their own goals in order to achieve the major one;
Unfortunately, the demo that's currently on the servers turned out to be at it's core the old campaign scenarios. They are not bad but, like with many complex strategy games, majority of new comers may consider them overwhelming and even boring.
Consequentually, my set of potential new players never had even the slightest motivation to finish the current demo as well as have formed a negative opinion about the game and haven't even considered to play a full pirated version, not mentioning buying the licensed one so I could take the situation in my hands to help them learn.
So as a last resort to share the joy of this of game with the ones I view as friends I ask developers to avert current demo version(in both Steam and official website) back to the experimental one.
P.S. I truly do believe that major reason for slow growth of playerbase is lack of a proper "tutorial" to show those who heard but never actually played Factorio the big premise behind it's gameplay, so fulfilling my request should lower entry threshold for newcomers and benefit the game as a whole.