Further performance improvements?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
hornetDC
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Further performance improvements?

Post by hornetDC »

Hi. I can't describe how much I am impressed by factorio's performance and how it improved over the years :)

I was wondering what can be potentially improved/optimized in the future?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Further performance improvements?

Post by jodokus31 »

hornetDC wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:59 am
Hi. I can't describe how much I am impressed by factorio's performance and how it improved over the years :)
Have to agree an this. The difference in performance between 0.16 and 1.1 is stunning

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

The two things I most want to see: do for trains what they did for belts, and calculate inserter arm positions only if the gpu or a mod needs them. For the inserters, the core sim can just keep a list of swinging inserters in a power net sorted by joules-needed-to-swing-to-target-position and dequeue anything at the head of the list that got enough delivered this tick. For the trains, I can imagine decoupling collision checks from everything else could be a huge pain but it'd be oh so worth it.

100KSPM or bust!

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

threading the electricnetwork updates so that they occur in parallel would make it Not As Bad to have a lot of vehicle equipment grids.

making loaders able to talk to trains and available in the base game would be pretty cool.

making more things event-driven instead of unconditional update routines. idle machines still use CPU, for instance, due to their electric network updates.

Return to “General discussion”