Is anyone here aproches Factorio smillar to programming

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
FlameHorizon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Is anyone here aproches Factorio smillar to programming

Post by FlameHorizon »

Like in the subject.

I find myself playing the game and solving issues at hand very similarly to how I approach solving programming issues. I've started playing this game about 4 days ago and I'm already asking myself same set of questions while solving a particular software problem. What I know currently or what do I have right now? What is my goal? Decrease and conquer/ divide and conquer all the way down to the simplest problem I can solve. Refactoring things or making them better is for me a natural instinct.

I know, I'm biased. I've spent learning about and doing programming for the last 6 years. This way of problem solving is probably carved into my brain for good :D . But I would like to ask you the question: how do you approach solving problems in Factorio? Do you have any methodology or maybe you like to just go wild and do not analyze things too much? Just curious.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Is anyone here aproches Factorio smillar to programming

Post by ssilk »

I don’t analyze that, because that’s, what I’m doing all the day. :) 8-)

Instead I’m trying to make things extra complicated, for example trying to produce every item in an own outpost and each outpost needs to be at minimum 1 km away from each other. Such saves have a size of 100-200 mb and more and it takes 5-10 minutes to get by train from one end to the other.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Korbin73
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Is anyone here aproches Factorio smillar to programming

Post by Korbin73 »

Yes!

I'm really big in to functional programming so city blocks is a natural fit. I care about inputs (in to the city block) , and outputs (what I will be loading on the train from my city block) and don't pay that much attention to anything else when I'm building out my base.

Return to “General discussion”