What's the dev pace like; when should I expect 12.0?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

What's the dev pace like; when should I expect 12.0?

Post by Peter34 »

I've been onboard for about half a year now, but when I arrived 11.x was already out, and all further 0.1 increments have been largely bug fixes.

12.0 sounds to me as if it'd be about more content added, at least the rocket/space stuff but hopefully also more options, more stuff to build, maybe a balance fix to Turret types.

11.20 is claimed to be the stable release, so how long should I expect to wait until 12.0 comes out? Are we taking 2 weeks or more like 7-8 weeks? I still lack a feel for the development pace of this game, at least in terms of major content releases (not 0.1 incremental updates).

Also, when 12.0 comes out, should I expect it to be largely bug-free or would it be better to wait until 12.2 or 12.3 before I try to get some of my friends together for a grand MP LAN game? All I know is that when I started playing (which was something like 11.5 or 11.8 or something like that) the game was amazingly stable. I don't think "bugs" when I hear "Factorio", but I do think bugs whenever I hear version .0.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: What's the dev pace like; when should I expect 12.0?

Post by FishSandwich »

There's already signs that 0.11.21 will be released soon, either way don't expect 0.12 for another 1-2 months(going by past behaviour).

0.12 will replace 0.11 as the experimental build so it will likely have bugs, as should be expected.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Apr 11, 2014 - 0.9 stable released
Jun 20, 2014 - 0.10 experimental released

Sep 16, 2014 - 0.10 stable released
Oct 31, 2014 - 0.11 experimental released

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Peter34 wrote:I've been onboard for about half a year now, but when I arrived 11.x was already out, and all further 0.1 increments have been largely bug fixes.

12.0 sounds to me as if it'd be about more content added, at least the rocket/space stuff but hopefully also more options, more stuff to build, maybe a balance fix to Turret types.
0.11 just took very long, much longer than any major release we had until now, mainly because the huge amount of bugs and small problems we had to solve to make our multiplayer model stable. Another reason also is, that we just started to build the automated tests in this version, which slowed everything down, but should help to get to stable version in future releases much faster.
Peter34 wrote: 11.20 is claimed to be the stable release, so how long should I expect to wait until 12.0 comes out? Are we taking 2 weeks or more like 7-8 weeks? I still lack a feel for the development pace of this game, at least in terms of major content releases (not 0.1 incremental updates).
Not yet, 0.11.21 will come soon, and it will be a stable candidate, so we will also wait for a while (few days only probably) until it is declared stable.
Peter34 wrote: Also, when 12.0 comes out, should I expect it to be largely bug-free or would it be better to wait until 12.2 or 12.3 before I try to get some of my friends together for a grand MP LAN game? All I know is that when I started playing (which was something like 11.5 or 11.8 or something like that) the game was amazingly stable. I don't think "bugs" when I hear "Factorio", but I do think bugs whenever I hear version .0.
0.11.8 was actually the buggiest version we ever had, mainly because of the frequent save corruption problems.
You never know, we always try to make the release stable, but .0 is never really stable, so it is really up to you :)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

kovarex wrote:You never know, we always try to make the release stable, but .0 is never really stable, so it is really up to you :)
Chuck Norris makes only stable .0 :mrgreen:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Koub wrote:
kovarex wrote:You never know, we always try to make the release stable, but .0 is never really stable, so it is really up to you :)
Chuck Norris makes only stable .0 :mrgreen:
And Vin Diesel makes only stable -.20 ;)

Return to “General discussion”