"Furnace Attendant" tier,where do I download the scenarios ?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Yaua
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

"Furnace Attendant" tier,where do I download the scenarios ?

Post by Yaua »

I finally upgraded to the Furnace Attendant tier, because the game is actually really really great, all the news things they talked about which will be implemented (or simply are actually on the work) looks so exciting and great too, and the team really deserves the money for all the wonderful work :) Keep up this way ! :D

Now,my stupid question : when you don't use the auto-updater, where do you download the extra scenario pack ? I didn't found any info or link anywhere... Thanks in advance :)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: "Furnace Attendant" tier,where do I download the scenarios ?

Post by kovarex »

Thx for the support, we decided to provide the pack only by the auto updater, as people were putting it in wrong folders all the time :)

Why can't you use the auto update?

Yaua
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yaua »

kovarex wrote:Thx for the support, we decided to provide the pack only by the auto updater, as people were putting it in wrong folders all the time :)

You deserve it, all of you ;) (and by the way, thanks for your hard and high quality work :))
XD ahah ^^ I see...

Well, it's simply a choice : I like to have a "ready to install pack" backup of my game (and I must add, I don't like auto-updaters ^^"). It's very useful if I want to install it on my second computer who isn't often connected to the web, and too simply for "backup spirit" :)
Isn't it possible to simply put a sentence saying something like "The auto-updater will do it for you and we advice you to do this way, but if you want, here is the file you have to put in this exact place" ?
But well, if you prefer not (or if it failed too much before), no really big deal, don't worry ;) I'll simply have to turn on the auto-updater ( even if I'm a little reluctant to I must admit ^^") and extract the mod :P

Edit : I just wanted to add, and absolutely not in an accusatory or aggressive way at all (it's more a general consideration) that something bothers me in the concept of a DRM-free game where you have to connect "again" to internet to have fully what you paid for each time you want to reinstall the game (I hope you won't take it bad, because I understand your reasons, and I know you absolutely don't have this kind of mixed spirit !).

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

For installing to your other machines, just copy the whole install. I'm using the .zip version for that reason, super easy to copy to my other machines. Works nice for multiplayer as well, just a complete copy of the game for each multiplayer group I play with, so I can keep mods and versions straight.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Yaua wrote:
kovarex wrote:Thx for the support, we decided to provide the pack only by the auto updater, as people were putting it in wrong folders all the time :)

You deserve it, all of you ;) (and by the way, thanks for your hard and high quality work :))
XD ahah ^^ I see...

Well, it's simply a choice : I like to have a "ready to install pack" backup of my game (and I must add, I don't like auto-updaters ^^"). It's very useful if I want to install it on my second computer who isn't often connected to the web, and too simply for "backup spirit" :)
Isn't it possible to simply put a sentence saying something like "The auto-updater will do it for you and we advice you to do this way, but if you want, here is the file you have to put in this exact place" ?
But well, if you prefer not (or if it failed too much before), no really big deal, don't worry ;) I'll simply have to turn on the auto-updater ( even if I'm a little reluctant to I must admit ^^") and extract the mod :P

Edit : I just wanted to add, and absolutely not in an accusatory or aggressive way at all (it's more a general consideration) that something bothers me in the concept of a DRM-free game where you have to connect "again" to internet to have fully what you paid for each time you want to reinstall the game (I hope you won't take it bad, because I understand your reasons, and I know you absolutely don't have this kind of mixed spirit !).
Yes, as it was said, the scenario is basically a mod like any other mod, so you can just save it along the game and do the all DRM-free stuff with it :)

Yaua
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yaua »

starholme wrote:For installing to your other machines, just copy the whole install. I'm using the .zip version for that reason, super easy to copy to my other machines. Works nice for multiplayer as well, just a complete copy of the game for each multiplayer group I play with, so I can keep mods and versions straight.
Oh, if it's that simple, I'll do it this way :)
So, I simply have to install the game, update to have scenario pack, and then I can copy the installed game to my other computer ? It copies all mods/scenarios included ?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Yaua wrote:
starholme wrote:For installing to your other machines, just copy the whole install. I'm using the .zip version for that reason, super easy to copy to my other machines. Works nice for multiplayer as well, just a complete copy of the game for each multiplayer group I play with, so I can keep mods and versions straight.
Oh, if it's that simple, I'll do it this way :)
So, I simply have to install the game, update to have scenario pack, and then I can copy the installed game to my other computer ? It copies all mods/scenarios included ?
The important thing is to use the zip version. The exe puts files all over your hard drive, the zip keeps them in one folder.

Yaua
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yaua »

kovarex wrote:Yes, as it was said, the scenario is basically a mod like any other mod, so you can just save it along the game and do the all DRM-free stuff with it :)
Ok, so no problem, I'll do my own little pack :D
I simply have to save the folder "scenario-pack", that I can copy-paste to any other installed game ?

Aside note, on the https://www.factorio.com/settings page, at the bottom, concerning "Scenario pack", you should reformulate the lasts sentences : "Scenario pack is distributed as a mod. If you are using the Factorio auto updater then it should be downloaded for you automatically. Otherwise the way you install it is by downloading the zip archive and unpacking it into your mods directory." ;)
Last edited by Yaua on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yaua
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yaua »

DaveMcW wrote:The important thing is to use the zip version. The exe puts files all over your hard drive, the zip keeps them in one folder.
Ok ! One other (off-topic) questions about zip version : to update zip version, can you simply unzip the new version over the previous ?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Yaua wrote:
DaveMcW wrote:The important thing is to use the zip version. The exe puts files all over your hard drive, the zip keeps them in one folder.
Ok ! One other (off-topic) questions about zip version : to update zip version, can you simply unzip the new version over the previous ?
I wouldn't recommend that, it is better to just copy the user data (saves, player data, mods) to the new folder, as the new version can also remove some files and it can cause trouble.

Yaua
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yaua »

I wouldn't recommend that, it is better to just copy the user data (saves, player data, mods) to the new folder, as the new version can also remove some files and it can cause trouble.[/quote]
Okay ! Thank you very much all for all your answers and help :D

tara14887
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tara14887 »

i cannot find where the scenario pack is saved on zip file download. tried installing earlier versions of the game too but no luck

Return to “General discussion”