1.35k S/M bases should be more popular

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

1.35k S/M bases should be more popular

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

1.35, or 1/2 blue belt, bases are just slightly more than 1k SPM and nearly the same effort, but have much nicer lab inputs and fit exactly on a half belt for each science pack. For the sake of OCD everywhere, build more 1.35k S/m bases!
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 1.35k S/M bases should be more popular

Post by Koub »

Sounds like metric vs imperial to me :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

Sounds like metric vs factorional :D
In my factory, I count everyting in blue belts 8-)

I only need an 8th science pack for my pretty belts.

Gamatron332
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gamatron332 »

... no because 5 is a uneven number. I can’t. I’m sorry

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Gamatron332 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:33 pm
... no because 5 is a uneven number. I can’t. I’m sorry
But 1350 is an even number.

In any case, 1350 science/minute is not a number anyways. It's a rate. You can always change the time scale to make it even:
1.35 k/min = 1.944 M/day

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

I thought we were talking about a very expensive fetish parlour by the title.

:?

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

coppercoil wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:24 am
Sounds like metric vs factorional :D
In my factory, I count everyting in blue belts 8-)

I only need an 8th science pack for my pretty belts.
I’m a big fan of rational numbers. It’s more of a “fractionorial” system

Or you could swap out military/whatever pack isn’t used with circuits. (unless you want to research follower count forever)

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:02 pm

Or you could swap out military/whatever pack isn’t used with circuits. (unless you want to research follower count forever)
I think "SPM" tag implies all kinds of science packs, regardles of the way how they are consumed. I also think that good XXXX SPM factory should handle any research, so every pack should travel along the labs. And if you don't do sushi belts, the number 7 is not nice at all.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

coppercoil wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:08 pm
AmericanPatriot wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:02 pm

I think "SPM" tag implies all kinds of science packs, regardles of the way how they are consumed. I also think that good XXXX SPM factory should handle any research, so every pack should travel along the labs. And if you don't do sushi belts, the number 7 is not nice at all.
Sometimes (maybe even often) military science is excluded. if you really want follower robot count, you can have backup labs that only activate when the others back up. The backup only needs half as many labs too.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:56 pm
Sometimes (maybe even often) military science is excluded. if you really want follower robot count, you can have backup labs that only activate when the others back up. The backup only needs half as many labs too.
I do not want follower robot count. I research whatever I want, keeping producing all kinds of bottles (for the record). This is how I play.
And I would like the 8th flavour for smoother play :)

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Bob's Mods add an 8th science pack.
They rename the "logistic science pack" to "transport science pack" squeeze in another "Logistic science pack" (pink) after chemical science.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

coppercoil wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:23 pm
I do not want follower robot count. I research whatever I want, keeping producing all kinds of bottles (for the record). This is how I play.
how do you consume military science packs if they are not required for research?

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:51 pm
how do you consume military science packs if they are not required for research?
I just stockpile unused packs. This may sound like wasting resources, but there are no compromises for that achievement :roll:
Actually, there are two stages: factory growth + mining boost, and then proving capabilities for X hours.

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

For those of you who suffer with OCD, may I suggest my personal favorite seventh science solution...

One requester chest. No fourth half empty belt.

Also may I add that flavors are more interesting than colors, so let’s go with strawberry, lime, diet cola, raspberry (because as we all know they are blue), lemon, grape, and milk.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:51 pm
I research up to mining productivity 10 (So I get double output), enough weapon upgrades (1 or 2 infinite for bullets makes walls with gun turrets impenetrable and I think I have about 4 for explosions to make clearing by spidertron faster). After that I research follower counts as dummy research because it consumes all science packs.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Hannu wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:48 am
I research up to mining productivity 10 (So I get double output), enough weapon upgrades (1 or 2 infinite for bullets makes walls with gun turrets impenetrable and I think I have about 4 for explosions to make clearing by spidertron faster). After that I research follower counts as dummy research because it consumes all science packs.
I thought most people researched mining productivity and bot speed

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:20 pm
Hannu wrote:
An argument for follower robot count is, that with sufficiently high mining productivity or worker robot speed (a cargo wagon can only that much ore from a miner), you've got a research that doesn't effect your factory and uses -like mentioned before- all the science packs, unlike the rest.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Sounds reasonable, I believe most players research useful things. I research mining productivity too, until I am ready for The Final Run. And then I switch to all bottles. Some players don't switch.

Premu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Premu »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Hannu wrote:
On the other hand increasing bullet damage to 1000 and beyond for green ammo is also nice. One-shoting behemoth spitters has a nice feeling!

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
I think so too. But in my opinion resource gathering is essential part of logistic game and high mining productivity makes minefields practically infinite. That may be different with those who use beacons to increase throughput to several kSPM level but I can not consume huge amounts of ore without beacons. My current base produces 550 SPM.

I also do not use bots except minor material handling, like fuel for locos or stuff for entity manufacturing. I do not get any benefit from huge speed. I would like to have possibility of reduce energy consumption so that I could boost personal robots, which in my opinion are not in line with endgame needs because energy limitation. I usually mod power of portable fusion reactors to 10 x normal level to make it possible to build in reasonable time. And also I want to produce all sciences. Vanilla Factorio is so boringly simple and straightforward that I use all possibilities to make logistics more interesting.

Return to “General discussion”