Fantastic location, really lousy resources :)

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Fantastic location, really lousy resources :)

Post by GlassDeviant »

Finally updated to the latest version now that my other game is pretty much over, and this is what I got first try:

:lol:
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

NotABiter
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Fantastic location, really lousy resources :)

Post by NotABiter »

I'm not seeing any biter spawners on that map yet, which means you have some more exploring to do before you can justify complaining about resources.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

I'm not complaining, just chuckling over it. I went through 5 more maps after that one, without any exploring, until I found one with a little bit of everything. This is mainly because I jacked up the aliens to maximum settings and knew I wouldn't have to go far to find some.

Eventually I found out that I am not good enough at Factorio yet to survive a map with aliens at maximum :lol:
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

NotABiter
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NotABiter »

I've done the aliens-at-max thing, and didn't find it that hard. But what I did was stay somewhat small at first, go almost straight for solar, and once I had a handful of solar panels I turned off the boilers -- even though that meant I was in black-out every night. I operated liked that until finally getting to oil -> batteries -> accumulators. After that lasers, and once I had enough laser defenses set up to keep me safe I went for efficiency modules and AM3s (to reduce pollution further). Then it was just killing aliens with (construction bot) tower creep followed up by moving my base's defenses outward and claiming any new resources so encompassed - rinse and repeat. I ended up with a good sized grid-based train system with full 4-way intersections every 256 tiles, all within the safety of my defenses, and there was really nothing (besides boredom) keeping me from expanding indefinitely.

Though, my first tower creep in that game did get a bit more exciting than it should have because as it turned out I did not have enough accumulators to fight through the night and ended up with a total black-out in the middle of a sizeable fight. I had biters munching on my lasers while I tried to agro them with my machine gun just to distract them a bit (to reduce the number of lasers destroyed) before daybreak finally came - and I was saved. Didn't make that mistake ever again. :-)

What's even dumber is I could see my accumulators were going to run out, and I didn't even think to retreat. (Too inexperienced at the time.) If you just retreat (pulling up lasers and poles as you go), the lasers that are still there will keep defending, and once you retreat far enough the biters just stop attacking (which really makes no sense, but that's the game's current mechanics). With good attack/retreat timing it might even be possible to wipe out "max aliens" bases with no accumulators at all, though I'm not planning on ever trying that. :-)

I (almost) haven't played a "max aliens" game since then because it's not really challenging once you know what to do -- just really tedious. (Though perhaps using capsules/shotgun/tank/etc. instead of tower creep would make it somewhat less tedious.) The one exception in terms of challenge is if there is very limited resources, and as a consequence this map (which the OP was having problems on due to low copper) is the only other "max aliens" game I've played (but only to the point of taking the copper field in question). IIRC, this was in a version of Factorio where the spitters were a bit more powerful than they are now (longer range?), so they were taking out a good number of lasers even with lots of bots and repair packs.
GlassDeviant wrote:knew I wouldn't have to go far to find some
Max biters settings doesn't change the starting area size. I'm guessing you left the starting area at default size? (That's what I did on my "max aliens" play through.)
GlassDeviant wrote:Eventually I found out that I am not good enough at Factorio yet to survive a map with aliens at maximum
Enjoy it while it lasts, as that's probably the only time it's fun to play such a game.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Lol I hate that, when you generate a map that puts you in a beautiful location but bad resources. Even worse when everything is pretty much perfect, except your missing just one resource... :(
Glad you found another map you like though! Can definitely take a few tries to get what your looking for.
Image Image Image

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

Yeah I seem to remember Zisteau saying it took a lot of tries to get a playable map for his 20-tile high Linear Factorio series.
- GD

Return to “General discussion”