So...why do people build on top of ore deposits so often?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

So...why do people build on top of ore deposits so often?

Post by GlassDeviant »

One thing I have never understood is building on top of ore deposits before they are depleted, when you're just going to have to tear it all down to get at the materiel anyway.

It would be one thing if the stuff were early game objects like Stone Furnaces, Burner Inserters and Burner Mining Drills that you are going to want to tear down anyway, but I see it on late-game complexes that are relatively permanent (I say relatively because I often tear down old complexes to rebuild replacements that are in some way better/more efficient/larger/tidier/not ridiculously stupid like a lot of my early designs).

This completely baffles me.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: So...why do people build on top of ore deposits so often?

Post by dee- »

For me? Losing one or two ore fields is not as important as having a non-structurized, cludgy factory. Moving plates from somewhere else to the factory is usually a non-issue.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

why should i be waiting an hour for the resources to deplete instead of just immediately build on top of it? I could build around it but that looks ugly and i do like when things line up from the start. I prefer to get my resources by train from far away, so resources is not really a problem.

Base looks better > Wasted resources
Build Now > Wasted resources
Waste of bytes : P

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

I guess it's just my particular OCD, that I like to build on pristine land with no trees, ores I might want to mine later anyway, etc.

Also, if I find I need to rebuild something I can't stand the toon going from deconstructing the object to mining the ore underneath, especially long lines of objects.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

Don't worry Glass, I'm in your boat too.. I hate seeing that ore all covered up, it hurts my eyes..

chainedlupine
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chainedlupine »

I'm the same. I usually build my factory away from ore deposits, on the nearest open spot I can find.

Yeah, it does mean for a rather slow start at times (due to extra cost of belting resources over to the factory), or putting myself uncomfortable close to the biters, but early-game it's so hard to remove trees that I prefer to build on clear land. Plus, there's no way (yet) to deal with water so it's an impassable region in terms of factory builds.

My idea world seed is one that starts me in the middle of a desert.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

chainedlupine wrote: there's no way (yet) to deal with water so it's an impassable region in terms of factory builds.
[MOD 0.11.x] Landfill (2.1.2)
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ill#p38155

Features
•Converts a 2 x 2 or 4 x 4 tile area to land
•Flood-fills bodies of water using landfills from your inventory
•Can be placed by clicking and dragging
•Create small water holes using explosions

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

I've been known to pull a complete deposit into chests so I could then build over the space where the deposit used to be :lol:
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

Boogieman14 wrote:I've been known to pull a complete deposit into chests so I could then build over the space where the deposit used to be :lol:
Hell yeah, waste not, obsess over the waste not. :mrgreen:
- GD

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

Boogieman14 wrote:I've been known to pull a complete deposit into chests so I could then build over the space where the deposit used to be :lol:

That's my strat too.. If I see a spot that has resources early I will just mine them into boxes, it's pretty easy to just transport them after anyways, even without a boxing mod.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I even troll myself by building on top of ore deposits by pure act of willpower, and I end-up moving everything when my OCD compells me to mine that ore because I can't stand it anymore :lol:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

chainedlupine
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chainedlupine »

Lee_newsum wrote: [MOD 0.11.x] Landfill (2.1.2)
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ill#p38155

Features
•Converts a 2 x 2 or 4 x 4 tile area to land
•Flood-fills bodies of water using landfills from your inventory
•Can be placed by clicking and dragging
•Create small water holes using explosions
That's a pretty nice mod! But I usually run games with friends with as little mods as we can get away with. (As that confuses issues when we encounter a problem and we're not sure if we've seen a bug in the core game or in a mod.)

But I will definitely be using that for my offline games.

Return to “General discussion”