I did the Math on Oil Production

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
CrazyCullen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

I did the Math on Oil Production

Post by CrazyCullen »

So I have done the math on oil for optimal production of Solid Fuel (SF) and Petroleum Gas (PG). In order to get my own head around the numbers, I converted all the processing times to resources/min. These numbers assume you can provide your refineries with as much crude as they can handle...

Processes per min per 1 refinery/chem plant:

Basic Oil Processing: 36 Heavy/min, 36 Light/min, and 48 PG/min
Advanced Oil Processing: 12 H/m, 54L/m, and 66 PG/m

Heavy Oil Cracking: 48 H/m -> 36 L/m
Light Oil Cracking: 36 L/m -> 24 PG/m

Heavy Oil to SF: 40 H/m -> 20 SF/m
Light Oil to SF: 20 L/m -> 20 SF/m
PG to SF: 40 PG/m -> 20 SF/m

If you want to make as much PG as possible:
Per one refinery running Advanced Oil Processing, you will need
1/4 of the production of 1 chemical plant to turn the 12 H/m into 9 L/m.
1 and 3/4 chemical plants to turn the 54+9 L/m into 47.25 PG/min
leaving you with 66+47.25 = 133.25 Petroleum Gas per minute, per refinery.

If you want to make as much Solid Fuel as possible:
Use Advanced Oil Processing.
Use 1/4 of a Chem plant to crack the 12 H/m into 9 L/m.
Use 3 and 3/20 (so basically 4 or add some speed modules to 3) Chem plants to make 54+9=63 L/m into 63 SF/m.
Use 1 and 13/20 Chem Plants to make 66 PG/m into 33 SF/m
Leaving you with 63+33=96 Solid Fuel per minute, per refinery.

in my first few play throughs I tended to over and under estimate my needs for chemical plants and I wanted to know the hard numbers. For example I in my current base I have 6 refineries that I'm using only for PG, and after doing this math I realized that I needed 10.5 chem plants cracking the light oil to PG and only 1.5 cracking heavy to light.

Hope this is helpful in your future bases. Thoughts? Please point out if I have made mistakes...

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: I did the Math on Oil Production

Post by bigyihsuan »

Could you put down a TL;DR with a ratio of max PG production and max SF production?

I can't find one, but the solar panels and accumulators have the 1:0.84 or something ratio.

onebit
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by onebit »

Dumb question, how do you only use 1/4 of a chemical plant? Do you make 4 pipes and only assign one to the chem plant in question?

Xuhybrid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xuhybrid »

max PG:
1:4:7 - Heavy Cracking:Advanced Oil Processing:Light Cracking

max SF:
1:4:12.6:6.6 - Heavy Cracking:Advanced Oil Processing:Light to SF:Petroleum to SF

Just threw it together roughly from the OPs notes. Not sure whether to round any numbers so i didn't.
To the OP: I haven't checked but, is there a reason to not make SF from Petroleum? Less efficient i presume?

CrazyCullen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CrazyCullen »

onebit wrote:Dumb question, how do you only use 1/4 of a chemical plant? Do you make 4 pipes and only assign one to the chem plant in question?
What I mean by this is that one chemical plant can process 48 Heavy oil per min, and 12 is a quarter of what it can handle. Therefore, you can have up to 4 refineries before you need to put down another chemical plant to crack the heavy to light.

CrazyCullen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CrazyCullen »

Xuhybrid wrote: To the OP: I haven't checked but, is there a reason to not make SF from Petroleum? Less efficient i presume?
Good question. The ratio of Heavy and Petrol to SF is 2 to 1, however Light oil to SF is 1 to 1, which meanS light is the more efficient method preserving crude.

As a side note if you take one refinery (Basic oil processing) and convert all the outputs to solid fuel without cracking anything you get 60 Solid Fuel per minute.
If you crack the heavy to light you get 69 SF/m
and if you crack everything down to PG and then convert to SF you only get 45 SF/m.

(And as I said in my original post, using advanced oil processing, and cracking the resulting heavy you get 96 SF/min.)

TL;DR
Cracking the Heavy Oil then converting the Light Oil and Petroleum Gas to Solid Fuel is the most crude efficient method for obtaining solid fuel.

Apotheosis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Apotheosis »

CrazyCullen wrote:What I mean by this is that one chemical plant can process 48 Heavy oil per min, and 12 is a quarter of what it can handle. Therefore, you can have up to 4 refineries before you need to put down another chemical plant to crack the heavy to light.
Haven't had a look at the rest of your math, but you appear to have forgotten to factor in the chemical lab's speed factor here. It's actually 4 Heavy Oil (per process) / 5 seconds * 1.25 speed factor = 1 Heavy Oil/sec or 60 Heavy Oil/min.

As productivity modules are extra important when making solid fuel because they can substantially enhance your power generation from a given amount of oil, I have determined the ratio of chemical labs to refinery when 1) a single refinery has two Productivity Module 3s in it, 2) heavy oil to light oil cracking has effectivity modules (more energy-productive than productivity modules in this step), and 3) light oil and petroleum to solid fuel production are full of productivity modules.

Advanced Oil Processing at -30% speed and +20% productivity: 1.2 * (1 Heavy Oil + 4.5 Light Oil + 5.5 Petroleum) * 0.7 speed / 5 sec = 0.168 Heavy Oil/sec + 0.756 Light Oil/sec + 0.924 Petroleum/sec

Heavy Oil processing: 4 Heavy Oil per process / 5 seconds * 1.25 speed = 1 Heavy Oil processed/sec
-0.168 Heavy Oil generated/sec / 1 Heavy Oil processed/sec = 0.168 chemical labs per refinery

Light Oil processing at -30% speed: 1 Light Oil per process / 3 seconds * 0.875 speed = ~0.2917 Light Oil processed/sec
-0.168 Heavy Oil * 3 Light Oil/4 Heavy Oil + 0.756 Light Oil/sec = 0.882 Light Oil generated/sec
-0.882 Light Oil generated/sec / ~0.2917 Light Oil processed/sec = 3.024 chemical labs per refinery

Petroleum processing at -30% speed: 2 Petroleum per process / 3 seconds * 0.875 speed = ~0.5833 Petroleum processed/sec
-0.924 Petroleum generated/sec / ~0.5833 Petroleum processed/sec = 1.584 chemical labs per refinery

In summary, the refinery to chemical labs ratio for optimal solid fuel production with productivity modules is the following:

1 Refinery:0.168 Heavy Oil cracking Chemical Lab:3.024 Light Oil to Solid Fuel Chemical Labs:1.584 Petroleum to Solid Fuel Chemical Labs

Additionally, because there are so many power-hungry machines with productivity modules here, when you reach the limit of how much oil a single one of these setups can process at a time (1.4 oil/sec), it is very advantageous to connect basic beacons with speed modules to boost production, rather than adding more refineries and chemical labs.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

CrazyCullen wrote:...in my current base I have 6 refineries that I'm using only for PG, and after doing this math I realized that I needed 10.5 chem plants cracking the light oil to PG and only 1.5 cracking heavy to light.
Wouldn't you want to have 1 heavy-to-light and leave the rest of the Heavy Oil for making Lubricant?
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

AJaromir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AJaromir »

Well, after doing some math I calculated the right setup to make gas only. You will need 5 refineries with advanced oil processing setup, 1 heavy oil cracker and 7 light oil crackers. Then connect everything and you should do 9 units of gas per second.

Details of my math:

5 refineries makes 1H/s 4,5L/s 5,5G/s

1 H cracker needs 1H/s and produces 0,75L/s

recount: 0H/s 5,25L/s 5,5G/s

7 L crackers need 5,25L/s and produces 3,5G/s

the result is 0H/s 0L/s 9G/s

The counting of productivity per second: (number of products/processing time)*factory speed
The counting of needed resouces per second: (number of needed resouces/processing time)*factory speed
The counting of how many factories i need: required resouces per second/produced resouces per second

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

this is all well and good but whats the point of building the oil industry just the right size? when you might as-well go as big as you can because you can always convert the excess, controlling it via pumps would be a lot easier.

AJaromir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AJaromir »

Kewlhotrod wrote:this is all well and good but whats the point of building the oil industry just the right size? when you might as-well go as big as you can because you can always convert the excess, controlling it via pumps would be a lot easier.
The goal is to build the oil industry where will be everything consumed without the needing to build the reservoirs because once any reservoir is filled, the refinery production is halted

My math is based on the needing to feed 3 sulfur chemical plants and simultaneously at least one plastic chemical plant . The problem is I am able to process 9PG/s but need 11,25PG/s for that.
So I did more math and counted how to use rude oil completely.

The base is 10 refineries using Advanced oil processing, 1 lubricant chemical plant, 1 heavy oil cracker, 13 light oil crackers, 3 sulfur chemical plants, 1 plastic chemical plant, 3 PG>SF chemical plants. The result is clean production without needing to build the liquid tanks. Only for lubricant oil*.

*(depends on how many lubricant will you use for making el.engines and express lines)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

A question:
You do realize that with simple wires and pumps you can create setup right now (with adv processing and cracking) that will work without any problems?
You just set up few simple conditions for pumps andit will automatically crack heavy/light to make sure that nothing blocks.

AJaromir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AJaromir »

orzelek wrote:A question:
You do realize that with simple wires and pumps you can create setup right now (with adv processing and cracking) that will work without any problems?
You just set up few simple conditions for pumps andit will automatically crack heavy/light to make sure that nothing blocks.
And how can pump and wires speed up the PG processing and make it smooth? (for me i need 11.25pg/s to be able to feed 3 sulfur factories needed to make 2 batteries per second and explosives and to do enough of plastic to feed 24 science pack 3 labs which are feeding 100 labs right now)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

AJaromir wrote:
orzelek wrote:A question:
And how can pump and wires speed up the PG processing and make it smooth? (for me i need 11.25pg/s to be able to feed 3 sulfur factories needed to make 2 batteries per second and explosives and to do enough of plastic to feed 24 science pack 3 labs which are feeding 100 labs right now)
For me it's not about speeding it up. It's about balancing.
You can play with math for sure if you want to reach the "perfect" ratio.
Or you can do some coarse math and add 1-2 more chem plants and balance everything with few pumps and conditions to make sure it won't block.

If you see benefit of having it perfectly in order then you need a lot of math and you can end up with needing 1/4th of chem plant for example. So you still need to do the balancing.

Return to “General discussion”