Turn Coal into Wood

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Ovidi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Turn Coal into Wood

Post by Ovidi »

I don't know what to do with wood and in my opinion the best we can do is turn it into coalImage Like people use to do some years back.

dyce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Turn Coal into Wood

Post by dyce »

What is the problem with burning leftover wood as fuel in e.g. boilers?

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

There are mods for that. Or for turning wood into oil or gas.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

I usually run the Concreep mod. This mod automatically flags trees and rocks for removal wherever it is placing stone bricks, concrete, or reinforced concrete. I’ve got to do something with the stone, coal, and wood that generates, right?

I have, on its own electrical network, a requestor set for wood, and for coal. I have a burner inserter remove stuff from the requestor and put it on a belt that feeds a few boilers. The steam generators attached to the boilers power a bunch of Radars, as they are always on and have one of the highest, consistent power demands for their tech level.

Gets rid of excess wood and coal easily enough. Stone gets fed back into Stone Brick and then Concrete production.

khalismur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by khalismur »

Well there's a big difference between wood based "coal", which is named "charcoal" and the fossil fuel mineral one, which is simply named "coal". That established, it's well accepted that the game does some very steep simplifications regarding materials in comparison to reality, so I don't see harm in turning wood into "coal" as you said. But also, what do you wanna use it for? Wood can already be used as fuel.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

The best method IMO is to not have the wood in the first place. Use grenades to clear trees.

But yeah stuff it in boxes at the top is your smelter or boiler array and set a splitter to prefer it to coal. That'll burn it up right quick.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Serenity wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:38 pm
There are mods for that. Or for turning wood into oil or gas.
Examplaratory this mod if you are only looking to get rid of wood.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

conn11 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:28 am
Examplaratory this mod if you are only looking to get rid of wood.
Or for literal charcoal: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CharcoalBurner

Or wood gas: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Wood_Gasification

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

I'm surprised no one has addressed the real issue here:

The title of this thread should read "Turn Wood into Coal" instead of "Turn Coal into Wood."

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

5thHorseman wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:34 pm

The title of this thread should read "Turn Wood into Coal" instead of "Turn Coal into Wood."
It was tempting, and I had to slap my fingers hard so they wouldn't click the "Submit" button! :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

5thHorseman wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:34 pm

First thing I said to myself before even opening the thread : "turning coal into wood, well, that makes no sense" :mrgreen: .
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Koub wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:39 am
First thing I said to myself before even opening the thread : "turning coal into wood, well, that makes no sense" :mrgreen: .
It makes some sense if you allow for intermediate steps: Burn coal to ashes, and use ashes as fertilizer in a tree farm. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Gltn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Gltn »

This is how I get rid of wood in early game, obviously works later on as well. The coal belt goes to my steam powerplant.
Once you get access to logistics robots the whole thing gets automated basically, just replace the chests with requester chests.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Who is messing with the thread title all the time? :roll:

One day it is Turn Coal into Wood... then it is turn wood into coal and now it is Turn coal into wood again?

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

MeduSalem wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:32 pm
Who is messing with the thread title all the time? :roll:

One day it is Turn Coal into Wood... then it is turn wood into coal and now it is Turn coal into wood again?
We are need both of them, but coal-to-wood process needs at least small forest.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

darkfrei wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:57 am
We are need both of them, but coal-to-wood process needs at least small forest.
I don't really feel like we need either.

Just dump the excess wood into a boiler or furnace and it is all gone soon. I let the construction bots do the work for me as soon as I have them, set up logistic trash for wood and I never touch a single piece of wood again afterwards. Even late game with Nuclear Power I still have some boilers (mostly for the steam production of coal liquefaction for getting rid of excess coal) that runs on priority override to continue burning away wood that accumulates from expansion.

... and even less there is needed a way to turn coal into wood because what for? There are like 4 items in Vanilla Factorio that can be crafted with wood... Poles and Crates... and for the (Combat) Shotgun you only ever need 1 instance throughout the game and no matter what all 4 of them become obsolete eventually.

On the contrary I am kinda annoyed that after a long debate a few years ago about obsolete items in late game where I suggested them to make wooden poles and crates at least burnable that they removed the ability to do that again with 0.17. Now we have to collect them all in one place and shoot the chests again to get rid of the useless crap.

And when it comes to mods most of the big mods include a way to produce or consume more wood anyway... and if there is a mod which needs a lot of wood but doesn't include a way to produce more then they are simply crappy mods.

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

You may use your coal as carbon fiber resource (beside oil and coal) in my mod .....

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/carbon-fiber

I had the same problem and felt that the LDS is somewhat under utilized.....
It is also a opportunitiy it include some wood growing mods for this, as its sucks up wood very well when producing the LDS .....
(its not pushed to 0.18, but i think it is no problem)

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Ovidi wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:08 pm
I don't know what to do with wood and in my opinion the best we can do is turn it into coal
So you want wood into coal. As already mentioned, there are many mods to convert wood to coal or oil or some special modded things. I do not see real use for recipe because there is no significant income of wood. Clearing forests for large base produces on the order of hundreds of thousands wood. At the same time you mine millions or tens of millions coal to run that large base. You can just feed wood to boilers and get rid of it. It would in any case be negligible help in plastic production.
I see even less use for conversion in another direction. If you think to use wood in some mod it is good idea to put in balanced way to produce needed wood. I think vanilla game is better to keep simple and this kind of very rare recipes are not needed. There are mods for that and they give usually some interesting tricks to get all excess products recycled.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Hannu wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:45 am
You can just feed wood to boilers and get rid of it.
I usually have my boilers on standby before cutting down large forests with robots. Feeding it to furnaces works better

Return to “General discussion”