Some questions before buy !

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Yaua
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Some questions before buy !

Post by Yaua »

First, hello all :)
Well, I played the demo (again and again) and it seems to be an amazing game ! But I have some questions before buying it (and I must say in advance : sorry for my poor english).

First, my real concern : is the game absolutely DRM-Free ? And doesn't send infos, requires internet connections... you know, this kind of things. And if it's really DRM-free, very important too : will it stay DRM-free after the final release ? (and after the Steam release) (I'm not interested at all for a steam release I must precise ^^).

Now, a little dumb but practical question : if I buy your game, where do I download it ? On your website ? Or on a retail store ? (like Humble)

Now less important questions ! (for which I don't necessarily need extremly precise answers ;) )

1) Can we develop peacefully ?
2) I saw here : https://www.factorio.com/content a paragraph which talks about "Alien interaction". It really caught my interest... Is this still on the roadmap, or have good luck to not happen ?
3) Talking about the roadmap... What may be included in future time ? (I'm not asking for a full detailed list, don't worry ;) , I'm just wondering what kind of things are still not in the game)
4) How many scenarios can we expect with the "Furnace Attendant" purchase ?
5) Will you be on GOG ? If yes will we be provided with one key ? (it's just for knowing, it's not that important)
6) Do you think there'll be expansions ?
7) Will there be more musics ?

Thanks in advance for your answers !
And one important thing : a big thank you for the demo. It's not often that developers care about it these days, and it's very useful when you want to try a game.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Some questions before buy !

Post by kovarex »

Yaua wrote:First, hello all :)
Well, I played the demo (again and again) and it seems to be an amazing game ! But I have some questions before buying it (and I must say in advance : sorry for my poor english).

First, my real concern : is the game absolutely DRM-Free ? And doesn't send infos, requires internet connections... you know, this kind of things. And if it's really DRM-free, very important too : will it stay DRM-free after the final release ? (and after the Steam release) (I'm not interested at all for a steam release I must precise ^^).
TL;DR
No drm.

You have two versions the installer version and the zip version (on windows), and the zip version is completely standalone. It means you can put it on usb and play it from whatever location without internet.
We (the devs of the game) are gamers as well ofcourse, so we hate these steam-only releases. I want to buy a game and I want to be able to play it whenever I like wherever I like. I want to be able to play the games in my (to be built) bunker in post apokaliptic world as well.
Yaua wrote:
Now, a little dumb but practical question : if I buy your game, where do I download it ? On your website ? Or on a retail store ? (like Humble)
Our site.
Yaua wrote: Now less important questions ! (for which I don't necessarily need extremly precise answers ;) )

1) Can we develop peacefully ?
You can develop peacefully (there is a peaceful mode), but currently you need to do some killing if you want to finish the game
Yaua wrote: 2) I saw here : https://www.factorio.com/content a paragraph which talks about "Alien interaction". It really caught my interest... Is this still on the roadmap, or have good luck to not happen ?
We hope to add some interesting ways to interact with the aliens in the future.
Yaua wrote: 3) Talking about the roadmap... What may be included in future time ? (I'm not asking for a full detailed list, don't worry ;) , I'm just wondering what kind of things are still not in the game)
Ways to avoid the boring parts and add some interesting parts in exchange :)
Yaua wrote: 4) How many scenarios can we expect with the "Furnace Attendant" purchase ?
There are just 3 scenarios now, the tight spot is my favorite. But don't expect a lot, the option is mainly for people that want to support the
game more.
Yaua wrote: 5) Will you be on GOG ? If yes will we be provided with one key ? (it's just for knowing, it's not that important)
I don't know about the GOG conditions, so I can't tell in advance. But I personally like to use gog, so I will try to cooperate with them as well in the future.
Yaua wrote: 6) Do you think there'll be expansions ?
There is a good chance of that, but it really depends when the Base Factorio is finished.
Yaua wrote: 7) Will there be more musics ?
There is full music soundtrack in development.
Yaua wrote: Thanks in advance for your answers !
You are welocme.
Yaua wrote: And one important thing : a big thank you for the demo. It's not often that developers care about it these days, and it's very useful when you want to try a game.
Yes, I believe it was a good step to make a demo. They don't care about the demo, because they are not so sure about the quality of their product, at least it is what I think.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Hey. I will answer as many as I can, but I think some only a Dev could accurately answer.

1. Yes it is to my knowledge. Obviously you will need to update it, but other than that, the entire game is on your hard drive, so it should not need an internet connection to play. Pretty sure I have played it without internet before. :)
As for if it will remain that way, I would say yes, but can't be 100% sure
2. You download it from the site. To be honest, I don't remember the process exactly, but when you buy it, I think you create an account on the site and get a game key, that you link to your account. Then you login on the site, and can download any of the versions. I could be wrong though, because as I said, I don't exactly remember lol
3. Yes you can develop peacefully for the most part. If you set aliens to peaceful when creating the map, they will only attack you if you attack them first. :). In regards to the roadmap part, I think that is still intended at some point, but no idea when.
4. Well anything on the roadmap that isn't included in current version is going to probably come in the future. Bit confused by what your actually asking, sorry. :p
5. Not sure.
6. Doubtfully, as I think any new features will just be added to the base game. But could be wrong.
7. No idea to be honest. Don't see why not though. :)
Hope this helped!
Image Image Image

Yaua
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yaua »

No DRM ! Great !
And all other answers are great too !
And to sum up : you're gamers who makes games for gamers. It says all, and this is a lot pleasant to hear, and reassuring. I was a little bit worry for example about the potential "expansion", but through your answer, I think we can easily trust you :)
Only for curiosity : what do you mean with "it really depends when the Base Factorio is finished" ? If the development takes too long, no expansion ? (but I don't want to "go too far" asking this)

I'm going right now purchasing the game !

Thank you for such a quick and detailed answer ! :D
And : the demo is REALLY a very good thing.
Another good thing (in my opinion) : the base price which is reasonable, and that you're not "pushing" customer to go on the higher tier (with "half a game" at the base price). Having myself a very limited budget, I must say that I appreciate that a lot (with the fact that you take the time to answer well to all questions :) ).
Xterminator wrote: 4. Well anything on the roadmap that isn't included in current version is going to probably come in the future. Bit confused by what your actually asking, sorry. :p
It was about things which may be not stated in the roadmap, but that they may include, despite not being wrote somewhere ;)
Xterminator wrote: Hope this helped!
Yes, it helped too :) Thank you for your answer and help !

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Yaua wrote:Only for curiosity : what do you mean with "it really depends when the Base Factorio is finished" ? If the development takes too long, no expansion ? (but I don't want to "go too far" asking this)
I'm sure Kovorex can answer better than I, but I would assume what he means by that, is it depends how much is in the base game already by the time it is released. :)
Image Image Image

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Yaua wrote: Only for curiosity : what do you mean with "it really depends when the Base Factorio is finished" ? If the development takes too long, no expansion ? (but I don't want to "go too far" asking this)
It depends on many factors.
Is there going to be enough demand for Factorio to make it worth business wise?
Are there enough new concepts that we can come up with to make it real old school like expansion, and not the "new school" type of expansion (you know what I mean).
It is in the future, so you never know, maybe we will have enough of Factorio at that time.

So no promises, but it can happen.

Yaua
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yaua »

kovarex wrote: It depends on many factors.
Is there going to be enough demand for Factorio to make it worth business wise?
Are there enough new concepts that we can come up with to make it real old school like expansion, and not the "new school" type of expansion (you know what I mean).
It is in the future, so you never know, maybe we will have enough of Factorio at that time.

So no promises, but it can happen.
You answered too at some questions I had in mind, thanks ;) (in fact, all my questions have now been answered, I didn't have one anymore !)
Really glad of your vision about all of this ! (and yes, I know exactly what you mean)
This confort me a lot in my decision to buy the game yesterday (which I highly enjoy). This game is great, and your position too. I hope you'll have the success you deserve :) (at least sufficient sales enabling you to put what you want into Factorio, and after to make another great game !)
And again : thanks (a lot) for the answer !

Xterminator wrote:I'm sure Kovorex can answer better than I, but I would assume what he means by that, is it depends how much is in the base game already by the time it is released. :)
He really well answered to all my questions :D But thanks for your help & answers :)

Return to “General discussion”