Smallest reliable production time

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Smallest reliable production time

Post by eradicator »

eradicator wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:23 am
Optera wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:59 am
To me recipe calculation includes inserters being woken up.
And to me it does not (i also stated that) because i think it depends on too many other factors.
On further thought what your setup seems to be measuring is the compressibility of inserter activity. So if the inserters already work in (bursts of) max-capacity transfers the impact should theoretically be much lower. For example if a recipe produces output bursts of exactly 12 items (==stackserter capacity). Or if the inserter workload is already compressed like for example if you compare a 10-fold-increased "0.5s recipe" with a 100-fold or 1000-fold increased version.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:35 am
On further thought what your setup seems to be measuring is the compressibility of inserter activity. So if the inserters already work in (bursts of) max-capacity transfers the impact should theoretically be much lower. For example if a recipe produces output bursts of exactly 12 items (==stackserter capacity). Or if the inserter workload is already compressed like for example if you compare a 10-fold-increased "0.5s recipe" with a 100-fold or 1000-fold increased version.
That makes me think, if I did a megabase-y bulk-recipe thing, it may be worth matching it to the smallest stack size among the ingredients * some n value - then each inserter can exactly insert the maximum amount needed (even if you have 1000 inserter bonus, an inserter can only grab 1 stack of an item at a time).
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] I let the discussion go until now, but it's got quite off-topic, and going.
I suggest either recenter on OP's question or start a new discussion on the "bulk recipe and UPS optimizations for megabases". Both would be OK too :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “General discussion”