Total Research Cost

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Total Research Cost

Post by Gandalf »

I'm not sure if this has been done before (in fact I'd be surprised if it hasn't) but I was
curious what the total cost of all required science packs in Factorio amounts to.
So, since I apparently have way too much time on my hands, I wrote a little python
script to easily calculate the costs. You can find the script here on GitHub. I wrote
it so it is easy to add & remove individual science items.

Note: The following results are based on the costs listed in the wiki, specifically of
those science items listed on the ‘Research’ wiki page.
Edit: I added the missing technologies from the recent updates (0.11.10).
Edit2: Fixed some types that cause false results

Results
Red science packs: 41 635
Green science packs: 40 625
Blue science packs: 33 595
Alien science packs: 28 775

Total raw:
Copper: 656 890
Iron: 1 025 640.5
Petrol: 201 570
Coal: 33 595
Alien Artifacts: 2 877.5

Trivia
I also calculated the costs of a few interesting research groups. Most interesting result:
All Follower robot count x combined require a total of 1900 alien artifacts, which is
almost exactly 2/3 of the total alien artifacts required for research.
Interesting subsets
Hope you enjoyed. ^^
Last edited by Gandalf on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Total Research Cost

Post by Xterminator »

Wow this awesome! I was actually just wondering about this lately, and glad you came up with a script to do it. :D

Very interesting results! That is actually a frightening amount of plastic and batters required. Haha
Image Image Image

ForFoxAche
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ForFoxAche »

Interesting!

The needed science packs are pretty close to each other. I didn't expect it to be that close between them.

Leej
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Leej »

Really good information, great job.

Would it be possible to break costs down into the harvestable resources? So steel becomes 5 iron, plastics become petroleum and coal, etc.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

Good idea. I guess the intermediate products aren't really useful if you're not gonna craft it all by hand. ^^

I updated the post above.
I stopped at petrol, since the ratio of crude oil to petrol isn't fixed.
Turns out the 5:1 ratio for steel was enough to crack the million on iron.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Can we get a total of the techs other than Followers past L6? (I mean, really? You need that many destroyers? At those insane pack counts? :P)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

n9103 wrote:Can we get a total of the techs other than Followers past L6? (I mean, really? You need that many destroyers? At those insane pack counts? :P)
You need around 60 destroyers (follower count 13) to take on massive worm/nest combos without retreating.
But you still save 14,000 alien science packs by skipping the last 7 follower techs!

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

DaveMcW wrote:
n9103 wrote:Can we get a total of the techs other than Followers past L6? (I mean, really? You need that many destroyers? At those insane pack counts? :P)
You need around 60 destroyers (follower count 13) to take on massive worm/nest combos without retreating. But you still save 14,000 alien science packs by skipping the last 7 follower techs!
... wut?
Are we pretending we're not using power armor at all? :P
With 25-30 I can all but ignore the biters and spitters, and just drop a handful of distractors on the big worms. I mean, sure, you could go wade into that solid mass of hives that fills the entire screen... you could also do something smart, and only take on the non-solid red radar chunks.

If we're not going to go complete brute-force by not completely maxing the follower count, then what's wrong with also using a little brains to go with the finesse? ;)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

n9103 wrote:I mean, sure, you could go wade into that solid mass of hives that fills the entire screen... you could also do something smart, and only take on the non-solid red radar chunks.
Did that already, once you clear out the map at max zoom level there are only full-screen hives left. :D

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

So which non-followers tech were you purposely not researching by that point? :P

Hopewelljnj
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hopewelljnj »

New numbers as of 0.14.20

Red Science packs - 54920
Green Science packs - 54210
Blue Science packs - 42665
Purple Science packs - 36200

Snowf4ll
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Snowf4ll »

This is really nice, awesome work sir. Now I can plan my next factory with these numbers in mind for exact amount of bottles needed hehe.

Though I wonder what these numbers will be like in 0.15, hundreds of thousands or maybe closer to million?

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Infinite. Several new infinite researches are being implemented that have no end.

Personally I'm hoping they don't go ahead with the 2% mining efficiency research... Unless they make it 1 of each science pack per level or drastically reduce the proposed cost of the new research it's going to be nonsense.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Return to “General discussion”