Do you sometimes get annoyed at train stop names?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
FeepingCreature
Inserter
Inserter

Do you sometimes get annoyed at train stop names?

Post by FeepingCreature »

I realize the crucial importance of backers in getting the game this far.

Nonetheless, here's a shell script to replace the list of backer names with a list of English towns taken from Wikipedia.

Save into your factorio folder and run with

Code: Select all

/bin/sh rulebritannia.sh

#!/bin/sh
BACKERS=data/core/backers.json
BACKUP=data/core/backers.bak.json
if [ ! -f "$BACKUP" ]
then
  echo "Backing up backers.json.."
  mv "$BACKERS" "$BACKUP"
fi
echo "Replacing backers.json.."
(
  echo "{"
  echo "  \"backers\":"
  echo "  ["
  wget "http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_towns_in_England&printable=yes" -q -O- |\
    grep '^<td><a href' |\
    sed -e 's/.*">//' -e 's/<.*//' |\
    sed -e "s/.*/    \"\\0\",/" |\
    sed '$s/.$//'
  echo "  ]"
  echo "}"
) > "$BACKERS"
echo "Done!"
Script can be safely run multiple times. If you want to use local town names instead just change the URL. Restore the original file by simply

mv data/core/backers.bak.json data/core/backers.json

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Do you sometimes get annoyed at train stop names?

Post by n9103 »

I rename them as soon as they're hooked up, so they could all be Station 1, Station 2, etc for all I'd care.
That aside, that's a neat little feature you came up with. Bravo. :)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Would this interfere with multiplayer?
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

FeepingCreature
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FeepingCreature »

Good question, and I have no idea. Depends on how the game stores and exchanges station information internally? If the clients just send inputs to each other, the naming should be purely decorative.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

FeepingCreature wrote:Good question, and I have no idea. Depends on how the game stores and exchanges station information internally? If the clients just send inputs to each other, the naming should be purely decorative.
  • Player 1 creates a station. The default name is "Backer1". Player 2 sees it as "Town1".
  • Player 1 creates a station. The default name is "Backer2". Player 2 sees it as "Town2".
  • Player 1 renames the station Backer2 to Backer1, by manually typing the name. Player 2 sees him rename Town2 to Backer1.
  • Player 1 sets a train to stop at Backer1. Player 1 sees the train stop at the first station, because it was closer. Player 2 sees it stop at the second station, because it has the wrong name.
  • Desync!
Even if names didn't affect anything, the game would probably still detect the desync as soon as the station was placed.

GaliMatias
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GaliMatias »

The biggest beef i have with crowdfunded games is actually this get your name in the game thing that most of them have.
It is immersion breaking to me atleast. But i can change the name, so it's fine (i guess).

Noone would ever name their child or a city (station in this case) Alcapwn, Boobalicious or H4x0r4fun or whatever.

SWSe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SWSe »

Personally, I have no problems at all with those station names and I usually keep them. But maybe I've just only gotten the ok ones. Anyway, I didn't ever care too much about that.
Of course, although I spent hours on rail tracks, I'm sure there are way more complex systems in which changing names would be necessary to keep track of the stations (no bad pun intended) :)

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

I don't know, I'm kind of used to them, so I after renaming became a thing I've never used it, because it doesn't just feel the same without all those chris hansens and holyfires.
Some of nicknames could be more readable though.
immibis wrote: Even if names didn't affect anything, the game would probably still detect the desync as soon as the station was placed.
I'd rather bet on that both players will see the same name defined by who has built the station.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Personally I love the backer names used for stations, and I wish they played greater role with trains as well (so that you could name trains and see that name on the minimap). For me, it just wouldn't be nearly as memorable if I saw "Bottesford" or "New Margate" instead of "Antonio Serri :3" or "Nirahiel". Besides, plenty of places are named after people, so naming it after the more influential factory engineers makes sense.

That script is a wonderful thing, though, seeing as any Wikipedia list can be plugged into it.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

I mostly change my "in base" stations to a meaningful name, like "ores dropoff" or "oil supply" etc., but I try to keep the backer names for mining outposts, so if I got Antonio Serri, for example, I'd probably change it to "Serri (Iron)", to keep the name, but also remind myself what that station is when I fiddle with train schedules.

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Every single station gets re-named for me either when i place it, or use it.

"Copper load east 1"
"#PT or #PAX copper load east 1" <-- player train station, so i can get to it on the fly without waiting for a copper train that goes to it or messing up the schedule.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

I get annoyed at 5 train station's names all overlapping making them all unreadable

Return to “General discussion”