Will the normal version still work after Steam release?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Will the normal version still work after Steam release?

Post by Nic »

I am curious if we will just recieve a Steam key or if the "normal" login with the Factorio Account will still work since I prefer some games off Steam.
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Will the normal version still work after Steam release?

Post by immibis »

AFAIK you don't need to log in to play the game.

The real question is: will future updates be available without Steam for people who don't like Steam?

Skellitor301
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Skellitor301 »

you do log in with the account you set up on the factorio site in order to download the appropriate content, so I would guess the game will work for either steam or stand alone just as long as you have an account with one or the other

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

immibis wrote:AFAIK you don't need to log in to play the game.

The real question is: will future updates be available without Steam for people who don't like Steam?
You need to log in once when you install the game ;)
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

Nic wrote:
immibis wrote:AFAIK you don't need to log in to play the game.

You need to log in once when you install the game ;)
Only if you want automatic updates. Losing automatic updates wouldn't be a completely terrible thing, given that the game doesn't update too often.

Canyew
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Canyew »

This game si going to be on steam? I was wondering if the devs were working to that goal or not. Anyway, to your question...
There is a number of ways the devs can do it, as far as I seen. I don't know the technical details of it because I am not a developer but I seen all sorts of things like:

A: Just download the game from steam, auto update, no logins required. Could be bound with steamworks integration. Aka Central multiplayer database. steam cloud saving, steam DRM protection
A.2: Same thing just without steamworks, so steam would download the game for you but you can drag it out and use it DRM free like it is now (Starbound does this)
B: If they want logins required tie steamworks to their current log in build so that if you have steam you need an account to player (Includes steamworks obviously)
C: They could do what Kerbal Space Program did. Either buy it on steam with integration (Achievements, DRM protection, etc) Or buy it through the website and bind your account to steam later (Leaving on the website will make it DRM free. binding it through steam removes the option to download it from the website)

There is other ways but this is what I seen around and my experience with games on steam.

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

Canyew wrote:This game si going to be on steam?
Yes, they said they want to put it on greenlight (not just as a concept as it is now).

Canyew
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Canyew »

Nic wrote:
Yes, they said they want to put it on greenlight (not just as a concept as it is now).
For a "concept" it is certainly one of the most addicting, replayable, enjoyable, complete "Concepts" I seen.

Keyalha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Keyalha »

Canyew wrote:
Nic wrote:
For a "concept" it is certainly one of the most addicting, replayable, enjoyable, complete "Concepts" I seen.
Would you mind if i sig this? Its just too true :)

Canyew
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Canyew »

Keyalha wrote: Would you mind if i sig this? Its just too true :)
have at it

Return to “General discussion”