This game is truly amazing

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
c13303
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

This game is truly amazing

Post by c13303 »

This is a (useless) message just to say that this game rocks !

I bought it via Indiegogo some month ago, because screenshots looked interesting and it was very honest price, but then I only played for the first time 2 days ago.
wow ! I already spent too much time on this :-) (in a good way)
I thought I was done with video games ....

The interface is a little bit rough at the beginning but after a couple of hours the pleasure is complete. THis is a game I was waiting for a long time : a true game where you can build a complex machinery and just be satisfied by watching it working.
One of my favourite game before was Settlers IV, do you follow me ?

I'm really impressed to have so much fun with just an alpha. I'm spreading the word around my friends, for sure.

:lol:

c13303
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: This game is truly amazing

Post by c13303 »

and it works on my netbook too !!! I'm doomed !

The speed is quite slow on it, but widely playable. However, I had some strange "speed up with lag" boosts when aliens attacked me, but maybe it's just the netbook.

Once again : amazing

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hi I'm really happy you enjoy this game even in this unfinished state.

This makes the work meaningful, most of the game content was not done the way *what we think typical player would enjoy*, the way typical games are done today. We made it the way *I want it this way, so I can enjoy playing it* with the belief, that there is enough of people out there who enjoy games the same way we do and they are missing game like Factorio.

That is the reason train ttd-like transportation is going to be included, from what I have been observing (Tomas is doing it), I really look forward to play with that :)

In the first (almost historical now) version of the Factorio FB page, the first thing I wrote on that page was:
"Energycraft is game that I would realy love to play and it doesn't exist, so I decided to try to make the game on my own and."
http://www.facebook.com/groups/368015139906998/

c13303
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by c13303 »

Yeay !
This makes the work meaningful, most of the game content was not done the way *what we think typical player would enjoy*,
yes I'm one of those who like that a lot. Actually you realized a lot of ideas I was dreaming about! And I love the oil pollution / planet spoiler kind of the hero, so human ! :lol:
And for an alpha, I didn't met any bugs in around 6 hours game. Everything seems clean, it even run good on my netbook. The game controls are a bit difficult to handle but we get used to it.

Seriously this is a pretty nice idea and work. Even the oldskool graphics are really enjoyable. I'll have a look around for the future features and learn more about the team. This gameplay will probably be a basis for many games in the future ;)

ho and by the way, any references about your influences (like ttd) are welcome, I'm curious

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

c13303 wrote:However, I had some strange "speed up with lag" boosts when aliens attacked me, but maybe it's just the netbook.
That is happening to me as well.
It is a consequence of the frame skipping routine that decouples game updates and screen rendering when the rendering does not keep up.
When it triggers, the scene jumps abruptly and roughly.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

c13303 wrote:This is a (useless) message just to say that this game rocks !

I bought it via Indiegogo some month ago, because screenshots looked interesting and it was very honest price, but then I only played for the first time 2 days ago.
wow ! I already spent too much time on this (in a good way)
I thought I was done with video games ....
Thank you, this sort of feedback keeps us going.
c13303 wrote:I'm really impressed to have so much fun with just an alpha. I'm spreading the word around my friends, for sure.
Thanks again :) Word-of-mouth marketing is pretty much all we have for now.
c13303 wrote:And for an alpha, I didn't met any bugs in around 6 hours game. Everything seems clean, it even run good on my netbook. The game controls are a bit difficult to handle but we get used to it.
There are plenty of bugs. Just have a look at the bugs section at this forum ;) However we are working on fixing them.
c13303 wrote:ho and by the way, any references about your influences (like ttd) are welcome, I'm curious
TTD was a big source of inspiration for us. We both played it a fair bit. I have always had a great satisfactory feeling when setting up my trains and then just watching them move around on the screen. We tried to achieve something similar with Factorio. Just zooming out a bit and watching the factory work ... There were other inspirations (kovarex has way more gaming experience then me), but the most obvious one is probably Minecraft.
MF- wrote:c13303 wrote:
However, I had some strange "speed up with lag" boosts when aliens attacked me, but maybe it's just the netbook.

That is happening to me as well.
It is a consequence of the frame skipping routine that decouples game updates and screen rendering when the rendering does not keep up.
The lags when creepers are attacking should not be significant anymore (as of 0.3.x I believe). As for the shattering when the game is a little behind: The mechanism is configurable. In the Other Setting there is a Max Updates Per Frame setting which controls how many updates can be run at most for a single rerender. Setting this to 1 will smooth (but slowdown) the game when the updates start lagging behind 1/60s.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

slpwnd wrote:
MF- wrote: That is happening to me as well.
The lags when creepers are attacking should not be significant anymore (as of 0.3.x I believe). As for the shattering when the game is a little behind: The mechanism is configurable. In the Other Setting there is a Max Updates Per Frame setting which controls how many updates can be run at most for a single rerender. Setting this to 1 will smooth (but slowdown) the game when the updates start lagging behind 1/60s.
I am observing rough (the player jumps ~1 tile) jumps and I don't think it's really limited to creeper attacks.
I even think that it's the renderer that does not keep up and thus rendering lagging behind.

Hi-Torque
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hi-Torque »

Hello,

I just wanted to echo the OP's thoughts, Factorio is a fantastic piece of work and has quickly become one of my favorite PC games. I played TTD for many years and still actively follow OTTD, so I am excied about what the future may bring in regards to logistics networks.

I am a US expat who lives and works in Leipzig. We often visit Praha, maybe this summer we could buy the team a beer sometime? I have also spread the word among my German friends...as this has a lot of similarities to the Anno series, I would expect it to do very well when you truly go to market.

Thanks for all of your efforts.

Kind Regards

Return to “General discussion”