Compilatron? How..?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
jim lee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Compilatron? How..?

Post by jim lee »

I read about the compilatron, I see the button on the screen. I click it and.. nothing? How does the compilatron work? IS it only in certain games?

Thanks!

-jim lee

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Compilatron? How..?

Post by zOldBulldog »

I think it is only in the campaign.

But... It would be nice if it was accessible to modders, along with the ability to create new tutorials / campaigns.

I have a hunch that combined with the "downloaded" count and sort options of the mod portal it could give birth to a tutorial and campaign class of mods, possibly generating much better tutorials and campaigns than the one included in the game.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:31 am
But... It would be nice if it was accessible to modders, along with the ability to create new tutorials / campaigns.
The campaigns/tutorials have been written in Lua since forever, so everything they do is also possible for mods/scenarios. Compilatron is an entity like an other and as such also "accessible to modders".
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Bilka wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:48 am
zOldBulldog wrote:
The campaigns/tutorials have been written in Lua since forever, so everything they do is also possible for mods/scenarios. Compilatron is an entity like an other and as such also "accessible to modders".
Maybe it is time to make challenges or competitions for the modding community:

1) Write a better getting started tutorial.

2) Write tutorials for specific topics where most players stumble (i.e.: oil processing, circuits, etc).

Then label the mod "Tutorial: <name here>" and people will be able to go to the mod portal and search for "Tutorial".

The Friday "News/FFF" could be a good way to announce such a challenge and give some guidance to modders on how to best achieve it.

Basically... it should not be needed for the DEVs to waste time and energy designing tutorials. There is lots of talent out there, people that design mods, people that review them, and people that do youtube tutorials. If they get together the results could be excellent. I would definitely try any tutorial/guide that included KoS, Nilaus or Xterminator (plus a few others that are not as well known) as part of the design team.

adamius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by adamius »

Bilka wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:48 am
zOldBulldog wrote:
As Bilka said, modders already have access to Compilatron in various ways right now.

Compilatron Vehicle lets you get in and drive Compilatron around. Or use it in AAI like a small transport vehicle. I've got plans for it to do more. A tutorial scenario I'm doing for some senior citizens is underway right now. (As soon as I can convince Compilatron to act like a unit or a vehicle as the scenario needs it to be)

Others have already made mods for Compilatron as a unit you can enable or you if you want you can actually be Compilatron. There are more mods doing similar things.

Construction Drones is probably still the most functional right now depending on what you want.

Return to “General discussion”