Completing Rocket Defense in X games?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

How many games have you played before completing Rocket Defense?

0-5
69%
6-10
5%
11-15
No votes
16-20
No votes
21-25
No votes
26-Don't make me admit
2%
I still haven't
24%

Total votes: 58

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Completing Rocket Defense in X games?

Post by Piranha »

I'm just curious as to how many games you may have played before reaching rocket defense.

I have had the "well this base didn't turn out the way I wanted, if I restart I know it won't happen again" thought a couple times. I feel like not sticking it out until the end (even if it was a horrible death) in my first few playthroughs I missed learning a lot of the late-game stuff. My current game is looking pretty good though and I think it may be the one that actually reaches and completes Rocket Defense. I also took a break from singleplayer for a while and would just host a multiplayer on evolve which I would tell whomever joined to "do whatever you want" but at the same time still try to advance at a decent rate, which is actually a really fun learning experience and a cool way to learn new techniques.

Looking forward to the next update and hopefully more multiplayer goodness!
Last edited by Piranha on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Completing Rocket Defense in X games?

Post by Tinyboss »

I screwed up my vote. My answer is "2", and I clicked the second option without reading. Oops!

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

Edited the poll, you can now change your vote.

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xecutor »

I purchased Factorio after watching LP's of FishSandwich (hard mode game), approximately around robotics.
Since I was pretty spoiled I won the very first game that I started :)
Uh. Actually I won my second game first (on harder settings), and then I won my first game (on regular settings) :)

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Yeah my situation is a bit reversed. I got to rocket defense and beat the game on my second try. Not saying it was easy though. :p But.... Since then I have started probably 6 of so games and haven't gotten it again. Lol
To be honest after getting it once, I don't really see the need to do it again.
Image Image Image

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think more interesting would be the answers:

- Not played it yet
- I researched oil industry
- I automated blue science pack production
- I played with logistic bots and trains
- Once
- Twice
- Three times
- 4-7
- 8-11
- 12-20
- more than 20

And another good question would be to ask, how many hours the players estimate they have played the game.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

ssilk wrote:I think more interesting would be the answers:

- Not played it yet
- I researched oil industry
- I automated blue science pack production
- I played with logistic bots and trains
- Once
- Twice
- Three times
- 4-7
- 8-11
- 12-20
- more than 20

And another good question would be to ask, how many hours the players estimate they have played the game.
Those are all good.. I guess another one would be "How far did you get in your first game?"

For myself I've always got to the blue packs, and only built my first train when hosting an open multiplayer game. Total hours? I would have to start up Factorio and add up all the saves.. and the ones on my GF's laptop, haha.

HerrJoebob
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HerrJoebob »

Mine was on the first try (not counting playing the demo) solely because I started playing when things were much simpler. It was basically impossible to fail ... the worst you could do was make a slow factory, and if you did that you just spent more time outside building a cool railroad while the RD parts were assembled.

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

I personally find rocket defense such a boring concept I haven't even tried in any of my factories. It boils down to either waiting for a really long time or building the same things over and over just to get higher output. As far as I know, the bug with biters not attacking more when rocket defense is activated hasn't been solved either, so that part is just sitting in you base waiting for the clock to reach zero. I find my time to be much better spent getting mods and playing the game with them.

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by katyal »

Same here I haven't even tried to get it yet ...just been trying to optimize my base, come up with some good blueprints and see how much of the map I can occupy :D :evil:

HerrJoebob
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HerrJoebob »

Rahjital wrote:I personally find rocket defense such a boring concept I haven't even tried in any of my factories. It boils down to either waiting for a really long time or building the same things over and over just to get higher output. As far as I know, the bug with biters not attacking more when rocket defense is activated hasn't been solved either, so that part is just sitting in you base waiting for the clock to reach zero. I find my time to be much better spent getting mods and playing the game with them.
In my most recent game the biters chased my guy like _crazy_ with RD running, but they didn't focus on my factory at all. :(

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

HerrJoebob wrote:
Rahjital wrote:I personally find rocket defense such a boring concept I haven't even tried in any of my factories. It boils down to either waiting for a really long time or building the same things over and over just to get higher output. As far as I know, the bug with biters not attacking more when rocket defense is activated hasn't been solved either, so that part is just sitting in you base waiting for the clock to reach zero. I find my time to be much better spent getting mods and playing the game with them.
In my most recent game the biters chased my guy like _crazy_ with RD running, but they didn't focus on my factory at all. :(
Oh that means the bug must have been fixed already! This is exactly what the game is programmed to do, send a ton of biters to attack your character. Interesting, I might have to build a rocket defense just to see how strong those attacks are.

Schorty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schorty »

I built the rocket defense only once in my first game. After that I played many games, where I actually researched RD, but never built it. Then I played the games for quite a few hours on, until I got bored and startet a new one. Now my save folder has about 30 files, with about ~8hours played per save. I don't see the reason in building the rocket defence, because the game stops when the countdown is up. But I want to play on :D
Tired of not being able to reduce the pollution? Try the Air-Filter-Mod
With this, you are able to use the pollution levels in your circuit network: Pollution detector

chapium
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chapium »

I didn't commit to it until my 4th or 5th game. It was around the 4th play I figured out how much copper would need to be shipped in by train and prepared appropriately. Before then I would finish blue science packs and resources would start to crawl because I did not keep up with train expansions to keep copper / coal flowing.

BrinCaspian
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BrinCaspian »

Just completed my first game. Ended up breaking parts of my factory just to force parts to the final assemblers. In the future, I'll start making the chips at a steady pace much earlier in the game.

Disappointed that the Rocket Defense was just a empty block, that I didn't have a massive attack to hold off for the countdown (there was a bit of one, but I triggered that by going out looking for a fight), and that there is no end sequence. Granted, I would rather they focus on improvements to the game (had consistent little game hiccups every few minutes on the Mac 11.x build). Still, somewhat unsatisfying ending.

Keep up the good work, I'm interested in starting over knowing what I'm doing, adding some mods and maybe a little multiplayer.

User_Name
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by User_Name »

BrinCaspian wrote:had consistent little game hiccups every few minutes on the Mac 11.x build
That's your auto-save. You can increase the time between them.
But developers probably can make the whole process seamless.
BrinCaspian wrote: Still, somewhat unsatisfying ending.
It is placeholder ending. Proper ending is scheduled to v.0.12
Attach your blueprints to forum posts with Foreman or Blueprint string.

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

Well I just finished my first game the whole way through.. with 4 blue circuit plants, 1 module plant for each speed and productivity (lvls 1-3)... I built myself into a corner and didn't feel like destroying half my base to produce more.. so I set up some belts and some provider/requester chests and just let the game run in the background for a few hours..

It sure wasn't anything special for an ending and I finally understand my so many people don't care for it. The Aliens didn't attack any more then normal even though they were constantly attacking but with laser turrets and robots being made I really didn't have to worry about a thing. I guess I kinda completed the game the Factorio way, automate everything and then sit back haha.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Dammit. I've read the question as "how many times did you build rocket defense" as in "how many times did you bother"/ :?
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Return to “General discussion”