Whatever happened to the new fluid system?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
samamstar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Whatever happened to the new fluid system?

Post by samamstar »

In FFF #260 there was a really technical discussion of a new fluid system built for 0.17. I was really excited to get my hands on those new and improved fluid mechanics, but there aren't any mentions of it in the patch notes. Has there been any news about that?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Whatever happened to the new fluid system?

Post by Koub »

Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

New fluid system still not implemented.

DerGraue
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DerGraue »

The new fluid mechanics are already in the game. They are now multi-threaded which increases performance by a lot and (I think because of that) the fluids are not allowed to mix in pipes and outputs anymore.

And yes, that is not really mentioned in the patch notes.

If you read through some of the threads here the devs probably will still further improve fluid mechanics and make them more "realistic", although that would decrease performance again. I personally prefer performance over some more realistic model since you will never notice anyways, other people do not.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Hmm, yeah, the fluid optimizations actually don't seem to be mentioned in the 0.17.0 changelog - though they were extensively been discussed in FFF's.

Considering what has been said in FFF#274, and recently about performance, it seems that the new ("unrealistic") fluid model (with merged pipe segments) has been dropped, keeping the old ("realistic") model.

We got a new fluid algorithm though, which hopefully will end up being the best mix of "realism", performance, and lack of weird behavior.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

People here are mixing up the new algorithm with the optimizations. Those are two different things
DerGraue wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:59 am
The new fluid mechanics are already in the game.
The optimizations are in, but the new fluid algorithm isn't. We're talking about this:
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-274
It allows for such things as evenly splitting fluids in junctions and different viscosities. And just generally a lot more predictability.

But there were issues with waves building up over a longer amount of time and they haven't had that much time to address it yet

Return to “General discussion”