0.17 Starting ore deposits average/min/max content, variability and increases when increasing size and/or richness

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

0.17 Starting ore deposits average/min/max content, variability and increases when increasing size and/or richness

Post by zOldBulldog »

In 0.16 I could get reasonable deposits for my playstyle (similar to railworld) by choosing: Max size and richness for Iron and Copper. Big for Coal, Stone and oil. Default for Uranium.

In 0.17 (a month or three ago?) I tried max for Iron, Copper and Stone, default for Coal, Oil and Uranium. I ended up with way too much Iron, Copper and Stone in the starting area and too little Coal and Oil. Some fairly close deposits even hit the 100Mil mark. I suspect that my ideal starting deposit size is probably 1-3Mil in as little space as possible, but I'm not sure how to achieve it and I would rather not do a bunch of trial an error if the data is available somewhere.

So I figured that I would ask some key questions to help me choose my future settings:

1) Using defaults, what is the approximate Average, Minimum and Maximum amount of ore in the starting location?

2) How much does each of the increases to Richness and Size increase each of those numbers?

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: 0.17 Starting ore deposits average/min/max content, variability and increases when increasing size and/or richness

Post by astroshak »

While it is subject to the RNG, they have said in at least one FFF that they want Oil to be something you need to explore to find. Same thing with Uranium.

So starting with “too little oil [in the starting area]” is not, technically speaking, possible. Coal, Iron, Stone, Copper yes. Oil, Uranium, no.

As far as the rest, I’ve not done any experimentation to see ...

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 0.17 Starting ore deposits average/min/max content, variability and increases when increasing size and/or richness

Post by zOldBulldog »

When I mention oil and uranium I of course mean those deposits just outside of the starting area. At that distance deposit sites retain the rough size of the starting area.

Anyway, the question remains until someone answers :(

dognosh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dognosh »

If it helps, I set all to max, including starting area size, and first signs of oil and uranium were around 3 times away from me in terms of starting area boundary(don't know numbers).
Coal , I had over 60M right next door, but I did pick the map I wanted after a few dozen previews.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

dognosh wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:15 pm
If it helps, I set all to max, including starting area size, and first signs of oil and uranium were around 3 times away from me in terms of starting area boundary(don't know numbers).
Coal , I had over 60M right next door, but I did pick the map I wanted after a few dozen previews.
60M is too much for me in starting area. 1-3M and compact would be ideal for my playstyle but I don't know what settings would achieve that.

Having a table, formula or even if we could see it by mousing over in preview would do the trick nicely.

Heck, even having a min/Max and average with default settings would be something.

Return to “General discussion”