Car in 0.17 its bonanza

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
sathill
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Car in 0.17 its bonanza

Post by sathill »

Anybody try Car with new spitter non-leading projectiles?
I mean in my game right now evolution factor its low, but so far car its superB in attacking bitter. So fast, so easy to dodge spitters spit.
After reading comments about 0.17 bitters making troubles i start fresh game. Not build single defensive turret near starting base. After red, green and military science i decide to go scouting for natural choke-points on map (still 0 turrets). Not messing one bit with map settings. They were somehow not too far from starting location. I got like maybe 20 places with multiple nest between choke points. Piercing bullets+car and now i have enough place to setup 1rpm factory. Killing this nests inside car its very easy. Car its faster than bitters and spitters do 0 damage because they miss thanks to dodge skills (smash buttons randomly).

Anybody got similar experience? Why so many post about bitters in 0.17 they are trivial as always. Only issue i have with them is that they can spawn in or very near starting resources on new game (without changing any settings).

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Car in 0.17 its bonanza

Post by Pi-C »

Similar: New game; iron, copper, and stone smelting set up so far; red and green science produced in a very messy temporary setup; "massive" production of piercing ammo. Everything is walled in and defended by turrets after I managed to not notice some critters eating up stuff -- since then, no problem so far -- but I've still mostly got small biters/spitters/worms near the starting area, with the occasional medium biter thrown in. Bigger spitters could be problematic, I guess.

I went out on my very first trip with just some normal ammo and no armor, still taking out small nests with one or two spawners. Later, I took out some nests by circling them with my car. That still works, and dodging the spitters/worms spit is quite easy; however, I died several times by getting caught up between rocks/trees or by being slowed down from driving through spit on the ground. If that happens in range of worms or spitters, it's over pretty soon.

That said, it's still the early game, and the nests I've cleared so far had less than five spawners and less than three small worms. During my exploration by boat (cargo ships mod), I saw nests with small biters but lots of big and/or behemoth worms. These sure looked scary, so better be careful! One behemoth worm even hit my boat for 200+ damage before I could move out of range. Spit might be easy to dodge if there are only one or two worms/spitters trying to hit you, but being the target of several ranged attacks at once will be rough! :-)

BTW, I created a railword map with enemy expansion turned on (minimum cooldown raised to something like 12 or 16 minutes -- i.e. three or four times the default value -- to still give me time for building stuff). At least, I intended to turn on enemy expansion; I'm not really sure whether I accidentally turned it off again. So far, I've seen no spawners grow again near to where I've cleared nests. Is there any way to check the status of enemy expansion after a game has started?
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

Minor correction: Enemy projectiles do lead. What they don't do is home.

Leading means they aim in front of you, where they expect you to be when it hits.
Homing means the projectile actually chases you.

ftbreizhbugs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ftbreizhbugs »

Yeah car is good for early exploration and some cleaning of small biter bases. I find that, in those small underdevelop biter bases, acid spit are usually easier to dodge than isolated trunks or rocks... :mrgreen:
However, as time goes, there is a severe increase in (big)worms defending base and car quickly becomes to weak. I mean the bigger the biter base is, the closer it is to surrounding trees and rocks, not good for the health of my car...

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

Pi-C wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:08 am

BTW, I created a railword map with enemy expansion turned on (minimum cooldown raised to something like 12 or 16 minutes -- i.e. three or four times the default value -- to still give me time for building stuff). At least, I intended to turn on enemy expansion; I'm not really sure whether I accidentally turned it off again. So far, I've seen no spawners grow again near to where I've cleared nests. Is there any way to check the status of enemy expansion after a game has started?
Go to the save (or load?) screen, export map string, exit to main menu, new game, import string and check the settings.

Return to “General discussion”