A few questions

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
manboy777
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

A few questions

Post by manboy777 »

I've been thinking about getting factorio and I wanted to know two things.

One, How much of the game depends on RNG?

And

Is the game worth the 20~ dollars?

Thanks for reading

-Manboy777

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: A few questions

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

manboy777 wrote:I've been thinking about getting factorio and I wanted to know two things.

Not sure what you mean with this.
manboy777 wrote:
And

In my opinion definitly YES!

manboy777
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by manboy777 »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:
manboy777 wrote:I've been thinking about getting factorio and I wanted to know two things.

Not sure what you mean with this.
manboy777 wrote:
And

In my opinion definitly YES!
By RNG I mean "random number generator" Like how in a game like minecraft the world generates and can be very good or very bad.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

manboy777 wrote:One, How much of the game depends on RNG?
If with that you mean how much of the gameplay or difficulty is influenced by RNG: not too much. RNG determines starting resources and enemies, but beyond that there's not a lot of randomness.
Depends. If you don't want an entire evening, day or even weekend to disappear, you might want to stay away ;) (in other words, it can be somewhat addictive and there's many hours of gameplay if its your type of game)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

manboy777 wrote: By RNG I mean "random number generator" Like how in a game like minecraft the world generates and can be very good or very bad.
Yes, I knew what an RNG is but I could make out the context :).

Yes the world can be bad or good, but also in a bad starting point you have the chance to get all up and running. It is only a bit complicated sometimes.

Much also depends on the settings you apply to the creation of the world.

I have no Idea how this compares to Mindcraft, since I never played this game :)

manboy777
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by manboy777 »

I just got it, Thanks for the help guys! :D

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Have fun and do not forget the time :)

sbroadbent
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sbroadbent »

manboy777 wrote:Is the game worth the 20~ dollars?
Many games out there boast that you get 40-50 (maybe more maybe less) hours of gameplay for what you're paying.

Here with Factorio, we count hours of gameplay in the hundreds. I'm sure there are some here who have accumulated 4 digits worth of hours of gameplay :D

I put in about 140 or so hours in with .9.8 during the month of May and probably another 160-210 or so with .10.6 during the month of August. I've yet to get into .11, but I imagine I could put in another 150 to 200 hours with it, if I tried.
SB Gaming Youtube Channel:
ImageImage
Also includes series for Cities Skylines, Prison Architect, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Far Cry 2, and Test Drive Unlimited 2.

aizo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by aizo »

Definitely worth the money! If you aren't sold on it yet, you can always try the demo, which they have for free on the main website. See if you like the feel of the mechanics, the play style, etc.

As far as RNG goes, while it does determine your starting resources, you can always find a seed that works well and use that. People post them on here. You can also fiddle with the spawn mechanics so that your starting resources are greater, or smaller. Whichever works best for you.

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

I don't think the demo really shows off the game that well. I think a freeplay demo with the late game research locked off would work better. On value though it is definitely worth the price. Upon being asked recently how many hours I had put into the game since purchase the conservative estimate was over 900 hours so far, so very much worth the price of entry. Hope you enjoy it.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

I know you already got the game, but in case anyone else new reads this I will also put in my input. As someone else said, most of us count gameplay hours in hundreds. I have been gaming sense I was about 14 or so (8 years), and that whole time, there is only 3 other games I have put the same amount or more hours into as Factorio. Definitely worth it, and super fun, and.... Addicting. Very addicting lol
Image Image Image

Return to “General discussion”