Factorio End-Game

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
healovafang
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Factorio End-Game

Post by healovafang »

Hi All,

First time posting, and wanting to tap into the vast experience that is no doubt skittering across these threads, to get an idea about whether I want to sink my own fangs into this game ;)

I really love the idea of making things that make things for you because it's like an ever-shifting paradigm of just zooming further and further out, and this quickly leads me a sense of awe once its full form is no longer comprehendible without extensive modularization+abstract-thinking (coding can often give me this sense as well). But of such games I often lose interest due to the end-game arriving too quickly (I just want it to keep on going!), or maybe because the end-game feels arbitrary and pointless once I get close enough to understand it (I really want my monstrous creations to be achieving something amazing, like winning a war by out producing enemies, or... idk but something!).
I feel like, making it all to launch a satellite would leave me feeling quite dissatisfied, but then I wouldn't bind that feeling to the concept of a satellite per se, because replacing "satellite" with any other noun doesn't really help. So, I think -for me, at least- it's the idea of convergence; I really love the zooming out and expansion, and focusing on bigger, more complicated issues that this often comes with.. conversely I don't like going in the opposite direction, dealing with smaller and smaller detail, because it begins to feel like menial labour, and also the grandeur of my creation can feel lost when it's about to reach the end of its purpose. Having the end-game be the construction of a thing feels like a GREAT zooming in followed by a sudden end, I guess.

Does anyone else experience similar feelings?

What do you guys think of Factorio's end-game?

Are there any known plans to expand the game in such directions?

Does anyone know of good mods which add significant depth to the end-game?

Quite a bit of text, sorry, hopefully it's not completely incomprehensible!

Cheers,
Fang.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Factorio End-Game

Post by Amarula »

Welcome to the forums Fang!
The 'end-game' of launching a satellite gave me a real sense of accomplishment the first time I did it, getting all the pieces figured out, surviving the biters when I didn't know about defense, even though my entire base was a hopeless mound of spaghetti. But that win-condition really is not what Factorio is about. For me, there is no end-game - it just keeps going and going, building more factories to build more stuff - kind of like life... Or if you want to look at it another way, there are an infinite number of end-games, totally decided by the player, oh I want to try with (or without) solar panels, or I want the lazy bastard achievement, or I want a 1000 SPM base... and that is before you get into any of the mod packs, or multi-player, or factory design as art, or... the road goes ever, ever on... I launched my 500th rocket in my latest game yesterday, same day I hit 200SPM... I am very happy with both those milestones, but the game isn't over, I have lots of things I still want to do. So I would say, don't let worry over a disappointing end-game dissuade you from getting your fangs into Factorio!
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

healovafang wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:12 pm
Does anyone know of good mods which add significant depth to the end-game?
Many players set themselves a goal of building a base that generates 1000/2000/4000 or more science flasks per minute.

There is SpaceX https://mods.factorio.com/mod/SpaceMod that greatly extends the endgame, requiring much more research, and a hence a larger base to push out more packs per second to escape the planet. Also https://mods.factorio.com/mod/expanded-rocket-payloads, which I haven't played with, but sounds similar.

There is Bob's mods (viewforum.php?f=51), or Bob's + Angel's mods (viewforum.php?f=185), that greatly increase the complexity of the factory needed to research and achieve a rocket launch.

Also Seablock (viewtopic.php?f=190&t=43759) that includes Bobs, Angels + SpaceX and starts you off on a tiny island, getting all your resources from seawater.

There are also other large overhauls like 5Dims (viewforum.php?f=81), Youki (viewforum.php?f=43), Pyanadon (viewforum.php?f=219) etc, that I haven't played with.

Krazykrl
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Krazykrl »

Not sure if significant depth, but for a significant increase in scale I use Whistle Stop Factories. This can (of course) be modded with more recipes (sold separately), since it adds absurdly large batch assemblers/electric furnaces/refineries around the map. This switches the game from belts and large arrays of beaconed assemblers, to a few large assemblers that have their own balancing issues with trains being their connection (aka Transport Tycoon).

HalfPastZulu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HalfPastZulu »

The current End-Game is FPS.

I could only imagine what factories would be possible without the FPS Creep.

Maddhawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Maddhawk »

End game is what you want it to be once you launch a rocket and unlock the infinite researches. Here are some good youtube channels to check out relating to Factorio and some select videos:
  1. Colonel Will
  2. Xterminator
  3. Katherine of Sky
  4. Nilaus
  5. Soeles Gaming
  6. Rocket Ballet
  7. Train Ballet
  8. Belt Ballet
  9. More Belt Ballet
  10. Biter Armageddon
  11. Darude Sandstorm programmed in Factorio
  12. A Microfactory
  13. Holiday Rock
  14. Still Alive on Factorio programmable speakers
  15. Self Expanding Battle Factory
As you can see, there are LOTS of things you can do. Really, only question is, what can you think up?

Return to “General discussion”