What about a subscription model for Factorio starting with 0.18?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: What about a subscription model for Factorio starting with 0.18?

Post by Optera »

Klonan wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:41 pm
Another problem with subscription, is that we will feel compelled to keep adding things to the game to justify it to our subscribers,
Which will end up with feature creep, scope creep, and more bugs

I would rather we design a full game, finish it, and then leave it as a complete piece of work, which doesn't need any more fiddling.
I greatly appreciate seeing this.
Finish a product, sell it once and let your costumer own the thing he paid for.

Software as service is cancer and should be boycotted.
The comparison with rented cars stinks. Rental cars won't force you to wait for mandatory updates to install when you are in a rush to get to work.

Try the crap some software companies pull in any other sector and there would be an angry mob with pitchforks and torches in front of their office.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Optera wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:19 pm
Finish a product, sell it once and let your costumer own the thing he paid for.
thats exactly what I voted for
Optera wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:19 pm

The comparison with rented cars stinks. Rental cars won't force you to wait for mandatory updates to install when you are in a rush to get to work.
It doesn't stink at all and doesn't request any mandatory updates "when you are in a rush to get to work".

You misunderstand my comparison with leased cars completely and I cannot get why it's so hard for many to grapple the simple idea.
My idea is, that nothing changes with the basic ownership of Factorio as it is today.
Anyone having bought the game can play it forever without hassle - only coming updates (if they are provided and the gamer wants to have them) are to be paid for.
Thats it!
And if once a update is bought, all updates within the same calendar year are covered by that lump sum.
Thats fair to developer as for buyer as the developers get paid only for additional content only - the other way round is basically unfair as it is a request for future free labour - unpaid work.
Thats in my understanding not the way capitalism works.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

Klonan wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:41 pm
I would rather we design a full game, finish it, and then leave it as a complete piece of work, which doesn't need any more fiddling.
Leonardo da Vinci wrote: Art is never finished, merely abandoned.
I hate tooting my horn, but...
featherwinglove wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:01 pm
He jumps into the sea and starts swimming off in that direction. And the waves crash and the wind blows, and eventually he finds himself scrabbling onto the new island. He climbs up the shore, reaches the grass, dries himself off, climbs the little mountain (OC: of stability) in the middle, and with his feet planted firmly enough on its peak for him and the rest of us, again pulls out his sextant to look for the next feature island.
Don't mind me, I'm just trying to euthanize this subscription conversation in a human manner :lol:

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

OK Now that we all agree on what economic model should be (and remain) Factorio, and we have started to head towards off-topicness, I'll lock this Topic, not for censorship, but to prevent further off-topic.
[Koub] Topic locked.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “General discussion”