Can steam generators be used in emergencies only?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Kikkers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Can steam generators be used in emergencies only?

Post by Kikkers »

I don't suppose a mod counts as a solution for you guys, but if it does, I'll just plug the mod I made specifically for this scenario: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6272

And remember that on the official development roadmap, circuit based stuff will be added that will make this discussion (and my mod) largely obsolete anyway.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

User_Name wrote:
Nova wrote:That's better, but still not quite good enough.
Why?
It does just what topicstarter requested.
Because you still have a time period with less or no power.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

User_Name
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by User_Name »

Nova wrote:
User_Name wrote:
Nova wrote:That's better, but still not quite good enough.
Why?
It does just what topicstarter requested.
Because you still have a time period with less or no power.
It's less than 1 second, no blackout, just a slowdown. Does it really matter?

Yes, "pinging" the main network does affect the overall production rate, if solar is still down, but compare it to the usual options of having steam to run every night, or cutting the pipe completely.
It is an emergency power backup solution, and it does just that - gives you power in case of an emergency, quickly and reliably.

You can adjust the length of a single uninterrupted power boost according to your tastes. I have to be frugal with my coal because I'm almost out, but if you want steam engine to keep running till the morning without pinging the network, you can do that.
Attach your blueprints to forum posts with Foreman or Blueprint string.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

There will be easier ways to do it, once we put the combinators, accumulator capacity sensor and electricity switch into the game, I believe it should be in 0.12

User_Name
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by User_Name »

kovarex wrote:There will be easier ways to do it, once we put the combinators, accumulator capacity sensor and electricity switch into the game, I believe it should be in 0.12
Thats great!

While you are here, can I ask you shift "sharing blueprints between playthroughs" higher in your development queue?

The value/effort ratio for this feature is very high: personal blueprint library that is kept between playthroughs is Factorio's equivalent of getting powerful/unique gear in MMORPG - it's building up character's value in exchange for the time played.

Also, have a look at the "Rimworld" game and ripoff it's features shamelessly, namely weather, and maybe (just maybe) forest fires and vegetation regrowth.
Weather is a MAJOR gameplay factor in Rimworld, with rainy days (reduced solar performance and occasional short-circuits in the outdoor electric machinery), solar eclipses (no solar at all, just a very very long night), and lightning strikes (fires, yay!). While not all of this directly applies to Factorio, some of it does (eclipses, clouds).

Also, diversify sources of electricity.
You have such an amazing foundation for many different sources of electricity, and nothing to capitalize on it apart from boring solar/capacitor farms.

Sure, steam engine is fine, but occasional geothermal will be cool too. We can have something tailored for powering remote outposts, e.g. diesel engine with better efficiency than burning solid fuel and no need for water pipe. Some wind turbines for windy days. Nuclear as a second life for steam engines for the huge end-game factories. Natural gas can be transported to boilers by pipes. Fuel elements won't hurt either.

Split capacitors into batteries (slow to charge, big capacity, low output power) and actual capacitors (fast charge, high output power, 10% or less of the current capacity). We need x2 more holy wars on the optimal ratio!
When most of the above is implemented, make biters hate the smell and looks of solar/accu farms to motivate the player to diversify instead of spamming solar on every patch of ground he could get to.

Back on topic:
This is how it looks. As you can see, my solar/accu farm can't keep up with the consumption (also, the ratio is wrong)
Steam engine kicks in to help
Attach your blueprints to forum posts with Foreman or Blueprint string.

JackGruff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JackGruff »

kovarex wrote:combinators
What's this new toy going to do?

Return to “General discussion”