[Poll] Battery design that stabilizes 0.16.51

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

Should the battery design stay the way it is in 0.15.51?

Yes, I like the current one better than the previous one.
26%
No, I admit I liked the previous design better. (Maybe come up with something similar.)
39%
No, come up with something different and possibly unique to Factorio.
34%

Total votes: 76

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Poll] Battery design that stabilizes 0.16.51

Post by Gergely »

Version 0.16.51 introduced a change to the battery design. One that I disagree with. I liked the previous one better, it is a generic battery design that I saw in many games already. Unfortunately, it could not stay, so I am looking for other's opinion on whether or not the new one is good enough.Image
I dislike the change myself. The new battery looks almost like a module. I find it uncomfortable to look at while on the transport belts.
Factorio-Battery-change.png
Factorio-Battery-change.png (1.35 MiB) Viewed 8523 times
Don't bring reasoning from fff-191 or fff-225 here. This change has no effect on the game play. It just does not look good. Since there is no way the previous one can return to vanilla, what about the idea of a new one?

Share your opinion!
Last edited by Gergely on Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Poll] Battery design that stabilizes 0.16.51

Post by BlueTemplar »

BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I'm already used to the current design (it has been the technology icon for some time), but I'd be okay to see a new, more intuitive icon both for the research tech and the item itself.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

PTTG
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PTTG »

It is rather noisy. I would prefer a design that looks simpler and more clearly industrial.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

PTTG wrote:It is rather noisy. I would prefer a design that looks simpler and more clearly industrial.
Maybe Varta would be more interested in a partnership than Duracell :evil:.

(Personally i'm just enjoying my popcorn. I bet if the change had been one amongst many the debate would have been...measurably...smaller.)

J-H
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by J-H »

I liked the old battery better. It was a simpler and more intuitive image. If we can't go back to Duracell colors, I suggest using a color that's not in heavy use already like grey/blues are... perhaps a white/yellow color scheme for the batteries?

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

The main problem with the new battery design is the shape.

A good battery does not need to look like a Duracell battery or even a AA battery, but it does need to look like a battery. Choose the colors to be different from any existing brand and the shape from AA, C, D, or even car battery.

That will avoid patent infringements and avoid looking like garbage.

Better yet, since Duracell were so stupid that they rejected free advertising... why not offer the other battery companies the option to pay for product placement in Factorio? (Paying Factorio to display their particular brand of Battery) It is constantly done in the Movie business and some games, why not make extra money by using the color scheme of whichever battery company pays the most.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

not sure whats worse the cables sticking out or the 3 module points / when looking at the single bat its somehow ok / on belt it looks weird // and its the other way around with the old lol
Attachments
pitchblackbats.jpg
pitchblackbats.jpg (20.38 KiB) Viewed 8252 times

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

Not being a graphic designer I don't have opinions on how to fix it, but I agree the new battery design is hard on the eyes. The transport belt full of them looks awful and I won't be doing that any time soon. However, it could be worse (flashing disco balls come to mind).
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Got some new ideas. I thought I share them here.

If they can't use this:
How about hue shifting it...?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I personally would prefer the yellow one. :lol:
Only colorblind people would be left...

Just think of these as an example to the second option. (Which is the most popular at the time of writing.)
ATTACHMENT LIST

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

one problem with the old design is that you know these batteries as beeing kind of small - so beeing able to only put 2 on a conveyor belt - makes the whole graphics kind of out of balance - only regarding intermediates not stuff like refinery item icons etc, this is totally broken but thats the way it works

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Sure, the new ones are a bit noisy and a weird style (fitting or not I'm not sure), and maybe they could be improved, but you're not getting the old icon back. That's been clearly stated by the devs and clearly reasoned by several players. Don't pressure them into a lawsuit. Also, I'd prefer not having product placement.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

The wires don't really make any sense. Otherwise it's not too bad.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Why use batteries when supercaps are here, today, and they really kick ass? I'm talking about FARADS. Not milli fractions. Not a handful. I mean hundreds and thousands of them. The best part is the primary supercapacitor ingredient is CARBON, which can do wonderful things for easing up the oil tech burden. Building construction robots with only lubricant, coal and green circuits? Yes please!

Don't believe me? Just google 3000 Farad capacitor. It's the size of a soda can and less than $100. Now you too can have the firepower needed to shoot down police helicopters, which you might not need. YET. :lol:
dont need that yet.png
dont need that yet.png (311.41 KiB) Viewed 8130 times
Some quick math says you only need 600 of those soda cans to equal the power capacity of one factorio accumulator. Think about that, Factorio is all this future tech and it's falling behind the real world! :roll:

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

3Wh per capacitor? Interesting !
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Triaxx2
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Triaxx2 »

Should probably look like a car battery instead.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Not sure how it really should look like. But as it looked after the last update, it is way too noisy. So i finally fired up Inkscape and made the Clean Battery Icon mod. I tried to keep the design as vanilla as i could - but with as few noise as possible without making the result looking too dull.
Now i can look at belts full of batteries without getting eye cancer anymore.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Oktokolo wrote:Not sure how it really should look like. But as it looked after the last update, it is way too noisy. So i finally fired up Inkscape and made the Clean Battery Icon mod. I tried to keep the design as vanilla as i could - but with as few noise as possible without making the result looking too dull.
Now i can look at belts full of batteries without getting eye cancer anymore.
Any chance you can get it blessed by the devs so that Factorio won't disable achievements when running your mod?

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

zOldBulldog wrote:Any chance you can get it blessed by the devs so that Factorio won't disable achievements when running your mod?
Not sure how to achieve that. Are there any mods wich are not counted against achievements already?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Oktokolo wrote:
zOldBulldog wrote:Any chance you can get it blessed by the devs so that Factorio won't disable achievements when running your mod?
Not sure how to achieve that. Are there any mods wich are not counted against achievements already?
No.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “General discussion”