Would it be possible to change the colour of pollution?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Remedan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Would it be possible to change the colour of pollution?

Post by Remedan »

I'm colourblind but I don't have problems playing Factorio except for one thing. It's hard for me to tell how bad the pollution is on the map. Red on brown is just bad combination for me. I've seen this but those mods are a bit extreme.

What would be really great is if I could somehow set the pollution colour to something else (blue or white would work best for me).
Last edited by Remedan on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Would it be possible to change the colour of the polluti

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

You can turn the pollution on and off but I don't think you can change the colour

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

There is a hackish way to change it: Take a look at image data/core/graphics/pollution-visualization.png. It is drawn over the map with 100% polution, or with some transparency when polution is not 100%. If you replace this image, then the polution visualisation can look however you like it.

Problem is that changing anything in the data/ directory will break all future updates. So you can either not update factorio, put the original file back for the update, or redownload a complete version every time you want to update.

The cleanest way would be to make a mod that can change this, but currently these images use a hard coded path and cannot be modded.

Edit:
There is one more less complicated solution -- press F4, and in the "always" tab check "show_polution_values". This will draw numerical polution values in the map.
Ugly but effective :-)

Remedan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Remedan »

Thanks for the info, cube! Having to switch the images around for updates is something I can live with. :) I'm going to experiment with some different pollution indicators.

I've also changed my 'basic' debug settings to only show the pollution numbers, so it can be toggled with F5.

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arl85 »

cube wrote:There is a hackish way to change it: Take a look at image data/core/graphics/pollution-visualization.png. It is drawn over the map with 100% polution, or with some transparency when polution is not 100%. If you replace this image, then the polution visualisation can look however you like it.
sorry for hijacking the post, but is there a similar file for night time? I mean: if I want to make night darker/lighter or change the color, is there such a file that I can change? and/or for the green night vision?
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

micomico
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by micomico »

arl85 wrote:sorry for hijacking the post, but is there a similar file for night time? I mean: if I want to make night darker/lighter or change the color, is there such a file that I can change? and/or for the green night vision?
Factorio implements this directly on your monitor. Search for 'brightness' and 'contrast'.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

arl85 wrote:
cube wrote:There is a hackish way to change it: Take a look at image data/core/graphics/pollution-visualization.png. It is drawn over the map with 100% polution, or with some transparency when polution is not 100%. If you replace this image, then the polution visualisation can look however you like it.
sorry for hijacking the post, but is there a similar file for night time? I mean: if I want to make night darker/lighter or change the color, is there such a file that I can change? and/or for the green night vision?
Darkness and night vision are completely hard coded in the game. The only thing you can do is disable night completely ('game.alwaysday=true'), build more lamps or increase the brightness on your monitor as micomico suggests.

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arl85 »

cube wrote:
arl85 wrote:
Darkness and night vision are completely hard coded in the game. The only thing you can do is disable night completely ('game.alwaysday=true'), build more lamps or increase the brightness on your monitor as micomico suggests.
All valid suggestions if I want to have more light, but I'd like to have the opposite, a darker night, almost pitch black when no lamp is around. Such a dark night would make lamps and night vision equipment more important.
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

DasMonzta
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DasMonzta »

arl85 wrote: All valid suggestions if I want to have more light, but I'd like to have the opposite, a darker night, almost pitch black when no lamp is around. Such a dark night would make lamps and night vision equipment more important.
I want a more normal night. Everything as it is right now, but just more of that. I just don't like it, when i can't see a thing at night and i want it to be pitch black. And I won't build lamps. lamps should be removed from the game. And make the days more average, too please.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Would it be possible to change the colour of pollution?

Post by ssilk »

That is a suggestion. I recommend to use the right forum-board for that. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “General discussion”