Map generation resources

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Rue99
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Map generation resources

Post by Rue99 »

Hi folks, returning after a fairly long absence (I loved 8.8, but have been more frustrated with the releases since). I've just taken the latest alpha out for a spin, and see that the issue that bugged me before is (apparently) still present. I just can't seem to generate maps with plentiful resources, as we could in 8.8. I've only done around 20 minutes of experimentation, but tweaking the map generation parameters still seems very disconnected from the map as generated.

Is it just me? I should add that I'm not actually after a challenge in the sense of beating off hordes of biters with only miniscule resources to hand - I prefer to play it almost as SimFactory, and love optimising and tweaking my factories.

Any advice, thoughts welcome.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Map generation resources

Post by -root »

Not sure what you're doing wrong. GEnerally by turning up the size and richness of the resources does the trick. Some moving will be required, that's unavoidable.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Also, the initial resources in the starting area aren't affected much by the resource settings. try looking farther away and/or shrinking your starting area.
If you enable peaceful mode, then it doesn't matter (a lot) as to where the biters are, or how many.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Yeah not sure what your doing wrong. I just turn the size and richness up and after a few rerolls I get a map with tons of resources.
Just play with the settings and keep starting a new map until you find what you want.
I mean for example I started a new map a few days ago with normal settings (except I think resource size turned up one notch) and got about 2-3 good sized patches of iron and copper in my starting area, and about 20 oil wells in the starting area too. :D
Image Image Image

Rue99
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rue99 »

Ah, n9103, that sounds like an interesting point. I've generally not moved out far from my starting area. Thanks to all for the suggestions (though in fairness, they generally fell under the 'you're doing it wrong, bro' heading). I shall report back with my findings as a gift to posterity ;).

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

Don't feel bad about bashing the "restart game" button until you get something that suits your fancy. This isn't Minecraft where practically any seed is a good seed to start on. A bad seed in Factorio means you're in for a very long and boring early game of running between resource deposits. It's a huge waste of time, and only advisable for the masochistic types. I go until either coal/iron/copper are really close by, or there's a giant oil field nearby.

27 oil spots (set to "big"):
27 oil spots
My Silly Factorian Tricks
<_aD> OBSERVE SIGNAL ASPECT BEFORE CROSSING TRACK

Rue99
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rue99 »

I did a clean, then reinstalled using 10.10, and after countless restarts, I still didn't generate any map that was a patch on 8.8 versions. I've reluctantly given up on the game, which is a shame, but I do have plenty of other games in my backlog, so it's not a disaster.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Just one note: Decreasing frequency doesn't affect the average number of resources in the world. It just groups them into larger fields separated by larger gaps (that is a setting I personally enjoy). If you want to increase size of your fields, increase size :-)

Edit: I had the direction wrong (originally I said that increasing frequency makes things larger, which is incorrect). It is fixed now.

Return to “General discussion”