factorio hardmode live stream: your input wanted

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
dakenho
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

factorio hardmode live stream: your input wanted

Post by dakenho »

I have had an idea to live stream factorio on the hardest settings possible and let the internet relish(and mustard for that matter) in my struggles. my question for you? what settings should i use, i know stone veins will not spawn if size is set to lowest level above none, should i just use death world with everything else set to very low? ( and enemies set to high?) what about the advanced settings?

Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: factorio hardmode live stream: your input wanted

Post by Patashu »

In addition to stone, uranium and ore should also be kept above very low.

If you want an extra challenge, you should consider adding the mod 'Rampant', which makes the biter AI more nuanced and harder to cheese.

In addition, the mod 'Space Extension' will give you a longer spanning win condition.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Add to that expensive recipes and tech and maybe a significant tech cost multiplier if you really wanna make life hard (it's not too hard incidentally make things impossible though), so keep that in mind.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

dakenho wrote:I have had an idea to live stream factorio on the hardest settings possible and let the internet relish(and mustard for that matter) in my struggles. my question for you? what settings should i use, i know stone veins will not spawn if size is set to lowest level above none, should i just use death world with everything else set to very low? ( and enemies set to high?) what about the advanced settings?
I think a simple setting it to Marathon Deathworld will make your game hard enough for live streaming.
Generally it will make all your recipes much more resource consuming and will make science cost 4x compared to normal.

At these settings it will be quite chellenging. There is no need to alter anything else.
Even so you will need quite a few map regens to get a playable map.

Believe me these settings can make even a multiplayer with 4 experienced players cry.
I would strongly discourage you from altering anything in advanced settings if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

As an advice I would suggest you try such a playthrough before streaming. You got to understand and feel the basics before showing off cause such settings will confuse many Factorio players who did not try them out. Watch the recipe costs as they will definitely alter your common setups especially green circuits.

DerGraue
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DerGraue »

I personally use very hard settings in my games. I use standard Death World settings for biters and I lower the ressource generation by a lot.
That way especially in the beginning it gets very hard, I barely can expand at all and I have to be very careful with pollution, because I have very limited ressources to defend and I can't effort the biters to get to strong to quickly. The higher recipe costs and the science factor increase by 4 are quite harsh as well. I don't use mods to increase difficulty right now.

I try to remember the ressource settings on top of my head:
The frequency is set to very low (the lowest) for all ressources, and yes, stone will spawn.
The ore patch sizre is set to very low for oil and uranium, to normal for stone and to high (the second highest) for coal, copper and iron (although I am not sure about the last thing, could be normal as well for coal, iron and copper)
The richnes is set to very low for uranium and oil, to high for stone, coal and copper and to very high for iron.

That way I have very limited oil and it is very likely that you don't have oil in your starting area at all. I had to restart like twenty-ish times to get a map with a small oil field and all ressources. Without oil you basically can't fight biters.

There was also a great time in my game when I ran out of coal and had to rely on insufficient solar power and barely any accumulators at all. Side note: that was not a great time. :(

Of course you can also use mods that make enemies harder but then you probably can't lower the ressource settings like that. There is no "hardest" way to play, you can always tweak somthing to make it a little harder and still possible.
Just try around a bit until you find settings to your liking :D

dakenho
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dakenho »

will be trying the hardcore run at twitch.tv/dakenho3 if any one wants to enjoy my pain

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

Combine Hard Crafting and Hard Storage for extra pain. The former gets mining drills to produce four types of items when on copper and iron, while the latter, among other things, reduces the wooden chests to two stacks. I'm not too sure if it would work for a live stream, as it makes the start of the game last about an hour longer.

Return to “General discussion”