Platinum and gold

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Platinum and gold

Post by Hellatze »

I believe this 2 material exist in all industry. Platinum, stronger than any metal (mostly) used for rocket and space program.

Gold, because all PCB have them. They are a great conductor.

We have steel but didn't have them?

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Platinum and gold

Post by Hannu »

There are tens of very important elemental metals and thousands of important alloys in industry. Devs have decided to keep basic game very simple and restrict the number of materials and intermediate products. I do not believe that they are willing to introduce new metals.

Bobs mods give nice variety of new materials and more complex and interesting manufacturing chains. However, I would like that some of them would be rare. It would give nice motivation to explore if you should find new small ore patches to get precious metals. Now there are practically infinite amount of all stuff so that gold, tungsten or titanium are practically not more valuable than iron or copper.

Nich
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nich »

Did you mean titanium? Platinum is not as bad as gold but is still very soft as far as metals go

rcp27
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rcp27 »

I think you're confusing platinum with titanium. Platinum has some very useful properties, particularly as a catalyst for chemical reactions, but mechanical strength is not one of them. Titanium, on the other hand, has very good mechanical properties, particularly for high temperatures. There is a huge amount of complexity that could be added, but there has to be a balance with gameplay. Just adding yet another set of material extraction, refining and transportation chains to an already complex set won't necessarily make the game more fun to play. I think this kind of thing is best left to mods.

Syrchalis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Syrchalis »

Wouldn't mind one additional late-game metal at some point. But other than that I really prefer factory with the limited kinds of resources that we have now - part of why I'm not using any of the 5dim/angel/bob modpacks.

FactorMan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FactorMan »

Yes, in the game, there is not enough of a rare mineral missing in the starting area.

Factorie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factorie »

I like the simplicity of there only being a hand full of ores to start put with. It keeps the earlu game simple, yet the late game is so complex haha

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Go play Bob's mods. There you can find both Titanium and Gold, along with other metals and alloys

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

yes mod, but its possible to add in the future.

also my mistakes, its should be titanium. please make this game more intresting and promoting exploration.

makrom
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by makrom »

The premise is false, gold is not a good conductor at all. The only reason why gold is used in some PCBs (in trace amounts) is to protect copper contacts from corroding. With the inclusion of copper, this game already has one of the best conducting materials there is (there are better ones, but they are much harder to come by).
From a logical point of view, given the current game content, one could make a strong case for the inclusion of a semiconductor instead.

Muche
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Muche »

makrom wrote:The premise is false, gold is not a good conductor at all.
Does that mean that wikipedia is incorrect?

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

Muche wrote:
he is insane fanboy it seems.

gold are good conductor.

makrom
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by makrom »

Muche wrote:
Maybe I didn't phrase it clearly, I didn't mean to say that gold is an isolator or bad as a conductor per se, but rather that it is a very bad choice as a conductor. It is is very hard to extract in relevant quantities and conducts worse than copper, which is one of the easiest metals to extract. Expect for the fact that it doesn't corrode, it just doesn't make any sense to use gold as a conductor.

m44v
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by m44v »

Aluminium and silicon are the most obvious resources missing IMO.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

m44v wrote:Aluminium and silicon are the most obvious resources missing IMO.
bronze/stone/tin as construction materials.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

makrom wrote:
Muche wrote:
Maybe I didn't phrase it clearly, I didn't mean to say that gold is an isolator or bad as a conductor per se, but rather that it is a very bad choice as a conductor. It is is very hard to extract in relevant quantities and conducts worse than copper, which is one of the easiest metals to extract. Expect for the fact that it doesn't corrode, it just doesn't make any sense to use gold as a conductor.
if someone ever did a machine aging mod, then gold use in electronics could cause a vastly longer lifespan for things that copper on insulator methods the game emulates currently.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

Mineral prevalences vary in Bob's Ores, with gems being the rarest by far. Set to very low frequency, they can be quite tough to find, and to get to once found, as they are needed for the more advanced weapons in Bob's Warfare. You still have iron, coal, copper, stone, and oil in Bob's Ores, but additionally you have (in order of when you need them), lead, tin, zinc, nickel, silicon, cobalt, gold, (Edit: lithium, silver), aluminum, tungsten, titanium, and gems (5 kinds of those.) Did I miss any? Yes, I did.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

really hope dev didn't want to insult our intelligence.

i mean iron and copper are boring as shit.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Syrchalis wrote:Wouldn't mind one additional late-game metal at some point.
I'm not sure if uranium is a metal, but it is a new late- game resource which is much less common than other resources. We have iron, copper, stone, coal, and uranium, not just iron and copper like some you make it sound like.

I get that having more metals in the late game could be fun, but I think that adding too many more (I suppose I could probably support adding 1 more if we stop at that) would probably make any late- game items which use it very tedious to automate. Then again, if Wube does add another metal, I'm sure they'll do an amazing job, as always.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

Uranium is a metal. It's missed a lot, but silicon is also a metal. The reason these often get missed is because in both cases, we usually see and use their rather non-metal-like oxides. Sodium is a metal, too, and I don't see as much confusion about it despite the fact that most of us encounter it in the form of table salt.

Return to “General discussion”