What's the point of logistics before requester chests?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
firesign
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

What's the point of logistics before requester chests?

Post by firesign »

Hi, sorry if I'm missing something here, or just confused by 0.15 changes.

I'm just trying out 0.15, and am confused by the huge gap between when logistics/robots/roboports become available (as soon as you have batteries, basically), compared to requester and active provider chests (which require both high-end science packs). In the interim, logistics robots won't carry items anywhere except inventory slots, right?

Is the intention here that logistics is useless for automation until late-game after all science packs have been automated? Or is there some way (e.g. with circuits) to get robots to carry items even without requester chests?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What's the point of logistics before requester chests?

Post by Koub »

There are a few discussions here and there on this subject, you might want to give them a look and add your feedback in them :
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44960
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=46236
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

firesign
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by firesign »

Ahh - I searched but not far back enough. I'll add feedback there then, as the current implementation (logistics available but useless for most of the game) seems pretty wonky.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Personally I like having bots delivering player logistics requests early. Also construction bots can also use stuff in provider chests, so construction bots with roboports is also possible with just red + green science. Not a lot of point having blueprints early if you couldn't use construction bots until after the you had build hi-tech.

firesign
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by firesign »

Sure, construction and inventory moving are nice, but they more or less boil down to saving UI clicks. What I mainly find wonky is that the low-level tech unlock says "A flexible alternative to conveyor belts, these robots transport items between chests", and then you build them and they aren't, and don't.

If the current balance is kept, logistic robots should probably be "flying robots that carry stuff to your inventory", and the high-level tech could read "logistic bots can now transport items between chests", or somesuch.

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

I'm sure the verbiage there is an oversight. Technically it is not wrong, it's just not fully available until later.

Return to “General discussion”