Seems Factorio has some competition soon..

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
KaitoX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Seems Factorio has some competition soon..

Post by KaitoX »

Factorio is a pretty niche game. I don't know of any other game(out of the box) that competes even on a basic level. I am curious though, what will we do to not face harm from the coming competition from Paradox?

grimdanfango
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Seems Factorio has some competition soon..

Post by grimdanfango »

It might be helpful to actually state what upcoming Paradox game you're actually refering to. If it's anything like Factorio, I'd genuinely like to hear about it :)

Why would another game like Factorio be a bad thing for anyone? I don't particularly want to play one single game for the rest of eternity, even one as fantastic as Factorio.
The only point where it would harm Factorio's success in any way is if the entire market became flooded with games that did the same thing better... and well, that simply is never going to happen, as I really don't think there's the programming expertise in the entire collected gaming industry to turn out that many games with such tight design, coding, and depth.

Factorio has lacked any meaningful competition for as long as it has precisely because what they've created is monumentally difficult to create, or even cynically rip-off, and very few could do it even half as well.

Honestly, I think almost any game with a hint of an open-world survival aspect could be made more engaging by just straight-up stealing ideas wholesale from Factorio. Any devs that want to take such a thing on, I say absolutely bring it on!
I'll still be back every other month playing this (while my Civ obsession sits sadly gathering dust at the back of my mind).

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Shokubai »

Surviving Mars? I got more of a Sim City + RTS vibe.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Looks a bit like Planetbase. I would check it out.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

grimdanfango
Inserter
Inserter

Post by grimdanfango »

Ah right... well yeah, can't see what more Surviving Mars has to do with Factorio than Cities Skylines or Banished or the Anno series.

For a moment you got my hopes up! :)

KaitoX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by KaitoX »

I've only seen 1 trailer but it looks like it's swining the same direction.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

Factorio has lots of competition in terms of "niche", it lacks competition in terms of quality.

BLuehasia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BLuehasia »

im confused to as what game OP is talking about

Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Patashu »

The only games I know of that are similar to Factorio are either idle/incremental games (Factory Idle, Reactor Incremental, Idle Power, etc) or more like puzzle games (Infinifactory, Human Resources, etc) or more like colony builders (ANNO 1404, Hearthlands, Rimworld, etc), and I don't know how similar you can really say they are at that point. If anything, Factorio is competing with mods for Factorio!

Methusalem
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Methusalem »

Fortresscraft Evolved (also available on Steam)

Not sure if you can call it "competition" with its much smaller player base. But it has pretty much all the game elements from Factorio and adds a lot of Minecraft to the mix. You also crash on a planet, start to mine and build production chains, have to fight off aliens, do lots of research, all the fun stuff.

BLuehasia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BLuehasia »

Methusalem wrote:Fortresscraft Evolved (also available on Steam)

Not sure if you can call it "competition" with its much smaller player base. But it has pretty much all the game elements from Factorio and adds a lot of Minecraft to the mix. You also crash on a planet, start to mine and build production chains, have to fight off aliens, do lots of research, all the fun stuff.
I bought that game as a finished product and when i complained how is there no exit to the main menu to load different saves. i have to quit to desktop and relaunch the game to reload the menu and was called a whiny complainer for wanting a standard feature in a release product.

i uninstalled the game and never looked back

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

I hear a lot of stories like that in Factorio's competion (especially Fortresscraft Evolved) ...I even have one of my own. After the comments, I added
I also have a problem with people acting as though I don't have a right to complain when someone asks for my money in a game and ignores everything I have to say. I don't mind if you disagree with what I have to say, but take that attitude and piss right off, tyvm.
Matthew 7:6 is no understatement these days.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Surviving Mars looks to me like another SimCity clone - in space. Factorio is a game with a heavy focus on logistics with small building and combat additions that keep you from doing the same thing the whole time - the variation is a good thing. Given the "quality" of gameplay from AAA games of late, I'm not holding my breath that it'll be much competition for Factorio, especially given the pricetags of both games. I'll also go out on a limb and predict that it'll be a buggy mess at launch, and that patches won't be out nearly as fast as this Factorio devteam manages them.

Yea, I don't trust game production studios anymore. Too much false advertising and questionable business models. Any game I can't demo, I'll either wait to see lets-play footage of, or never bother with.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Aeternus wrote:Yea, I don't trust game production studios anymore. Too much false advertising and questionable business models. Any game I can't demo, I'll either wait to see lets-play footage of, or never bother with.
Seriously, everybody needs to start doing this immediately. Everybody. We have had one too many Outpost Battlecruiser 3000 X-COM Interceptor Aliens: Colonial Marines Battlefield 4 No Man's Sky. Stop shopping in ways which encourage this sort of thing.

Return to “General discussion”