what i must do with this wood ?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

what i must do with this wood ?

Post by Hellatze »

in late game, i never use furnance. mostly electric ones.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: what i must do with this wood ?

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Use it to power steam engines? Or start grenading, burning, or poisoning trees instead of cutting them down.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Matthias_Wlkp
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Matthias_Wlkp »

Turn the wood into chests, so they take less space. Then put those chests into one of the chests. When full, take one chest and put other chests inside. And so on...

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

If you mine a chest its contents are dumped on the ground, no chestception.

I usually have some belt logic leading to my Boilers that ensures wood is prioritised as a fuel source, coal isn't exactly precious but it's more heavily used now with grenades being consumed by science. Of course once you have nuclear power that's somewhat redundant...

General consensus is something should be done but nobody can agree on what. Most sensible solution is to turn it into Coal - but you can't do that in Furnaces (as if you are using Wood to power your Iron furnaces, you'll end up with Coal in your Iron feed).
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

terror_gnom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by terror_gnom »

I usually switch to solar/nuclear relativly soon, but I always keep 1 row of steam where all my wood gets "thermal utilized"

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

As an act of desperation, you can always drop in into a large array of chests and then nuke them :)

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

I use it as fuel for my trains

grimdanfango
Inserter
Inserter

Post by grimdanfango »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:If you mine a chest its contents are dumped on the ground, no chestception.

I usually have some belt logic leading to my Boilers that ensures wood is prioritised as a fuel source, coal isn't exactly precious but it's more heavily used now with grenades being consumed by science. Of course once you have nuclear power that's somewhat redundant...

General consensus is something should be done but nobody can agree on what. Most sensible solution is to turn it into Coal - but you can't do that in Furnaces (as if you are using Wood to power your Iron furnaces, you'll end up with Coal in your Iron feed).
I guess the logical approach would be to stop wood being a fuel source in itself, and require the charcoaling process before the result can be fed back as fuel. 2 wood to 1 coal recipe would preserve the current fuel value.
I suppose the one oddity with that is, it would presumably require coal to run the furnaces by default rules, where in reality a charcoaling process shouldn't require an additional fuel source. Maybe stone/steel furnaces could be allowed to process it without requiring a fuel source for that particular recipe.

Or my other equally helpful suggestion - furniture! I mean, Factorio clearly needs the ability to build your own meticulously furnished and decorated mansion, from the balcony of which you may observe your marvelous factories. Without this, every survival game out there is looking and laughing at us!
- (I trust the Factorio site tends to attract a generally more astute level of visitor than the rest of the interwebs, but just in case... yes that was a joke :-P)

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

I usually shove it into a boiler that has at least 3 steam engines drawing from it, so that the boiler is always overtaxed. Then use the logistics system to move wood into a requestor chest that feeds the boiler. Along with wooden chests and wooden electric poles. Garbage disposal :]

Kametec
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kametec »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:If you mine a chest its contents are dumped on the ground, no chestception.
Actually, when you mine a chest, its contents are moved to your inventory and if it is full, you won't be able to mine the chest.

I'd also recommend against using wood as fuel for vehicles, higher quality fuel now boosts acceleration. (Coal is equal to wood in this regard however)
What I do with excess stuff is: I put it into wooden chest and then blast it with a shotgun or ram it with a car. Items inside are destroyed with the chest.

ftbreizhbugs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ftbreizhbugs »

Use it in a small setup to produce steam for coal liquefaction eventually...
I personnaly store it near steam engines that start runing with an alarm when my nuclear setup become undersized. The time i react and resize my nuclear setup, most of the wood will have been burnt!

Return to “General discussion”