Why is 0,15 experimental on Steam?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
seePyou
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Why is 0,15 experimental on Steam?

Post by seePyou »

Hello,

I was just wondering why the 0.15 and all its branches are considered experimental on Steam. I started the client first believing that the game would have been updated but it was 0.14 again.
Tried some things but it took some time to see that the 0.15 branch was in the Allow beta option.

Any special reason this is set like this?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Why is 0,15 experimental on Steam?

Post by Koub »

Because ... 0.15 is still experimental :).
It may sound like Captain Obvious just poped by, but that's actually the case : as long as a version is not declared stable by the devs, it's experimental.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

The devs set a pretty high standard for themselves for their stable releases. 0.14 went all the way up to 0.14.22 before it was declared stable (it went to 0.14.23 only in preparation of 0.15 things). So if you play 0.15 you may encounter bugs, so that is why it is still experimental, but in my experience so far it seems mostly bug free -- certainly nothing majorly broken happening in my games.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

And so you missed the release date. A pity

seePyou
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by seePyou »

Thank you all for chiming in! I was apparently confused by some statements (not saying they were official or blaming anyone, don't even remember exactly where I heard it) that made me believe the 0.15 was going to be the actual release version for the game, as in, now we are gold kind of thing and not early access or... anyway. I'm rumbling! Thank you all again!

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

No, the devs have stated several times that 0.16 is going to be the final version before leaving early access. As soon as 0.16 is declared stable, it will get 1.0 as the version number. :)

However, I really hope that development on Factorio will continue even after 1.0. I will certainly buy all DLCs/expansion packs. :-)

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

seePyou wrote:I was just wondering why the 0.15 and all its branches are considered experimental on Steam. I started the client first believing that the game would have been updated but it was 0.14 again.
Tekky wrote:As soon as 0.16 is declared stable, it will get 1.0 as the version number.
Over the past few versions, it has taken a month or three to get from the .0 experimental of a new release to a stable release. So I would expect stable 0.15 in a couple of months, and I would expect 0.16 to be experimental for at least a couple of months before 1.0 comes out.

Return to “General discussion”