[Possible suggestion] Autolimit hand refill in building drop

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Possible suggestion] Autolimit hand refill in building drop

Post by Foreros »

A personal idea. If I have in hand 10 pieces of coal and 50 in inventory and I want to fill 10 pieces of coal in 6 different furnaces why I have to fight for divide them evenly until I have 10 before dropping?
Why not set an option for limit this? If I have 10 items, when I drop them I get back 10 items instead a full stack of 50, if available?
It's just a suggestion for help the begin of the game, specifically for distribute few resources evenly on the first building, but can help even in future jobs.
After all, if you have a full stack of items in hand you will load fully the hand, but if you have 200 ammo and need to share them on vary turrets this can help a lot...
What do you think?
I know that you can send many thing throught various shipping ways, but you can do an easily change of items when you get an upgrade of them.

Suggestion by Foreros and how apply it.

Suggestion by Lev.
Last edited by Foreros on Thu May 04, 2017 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

BLuehasia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [Possible suggestion] Autolimit hand refill in building drop

Post by BLuehasia »

this is a nice suggestion i would not mind seeing this also in the game to as i fight this also.

and for future post suggestions in the suggestion thread :)

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

Is "Ctrl + drag over area" combo used for anything? If not, it could be a wonderful addition if it automatically split the dropped resource among the buildings in covered area.

Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Foreros »

This was not a suggestion itself, but a discussion if this can be a nice suggestion for others people and, in case, discuss how can be adjusted before sending it as an official suggestion.
CTRL+drag can be nice if used to distribute items on hand evenly on selected buildings, but i think my idea can be an easier way to set it without too much work.

Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Foreros »

Sorry for double post, but it is just for explain what I want say with "easier way to set it without too much work".
The "in hand quantity" can be set as variable modified constantly when you pick something from inventory, buildings or other containers.
I dunno how it is set, but it can be applied directly to the action of "pick up" if it is set as unique kind of recorded action.
This way the "refill hand" action can be modified to this variable instead of the "full stack of items".
It's a simple change that can have little impact on the game mechanics, IMHO.
This is the reason I have added it here, for let anyone tell things like this, even the game programmers, so the way to apply it can be discussed freely, without forcing anyone to feel forced think something, but just a colloquial discussion where confront ideas and ways to put them to work, if possible, or why this little change can create problems and make it impossible or a too hard work for a simple change that can add more problems than solve it.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Once the idea is refined into something viable, either i'll move it into suggestion (if the first post is updated), or OP can create a new topic in Ideas and suggestions describing the final idea, and a link to this discussion for records :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Foreros »

That was the intention. :D
But a look by programmers and a possible alternative by them can be very good to help them develop it and propose the best solution possible.
I'm not a programmer like them, but I have decent basis on programming and I can understand many things if not all.
That's the result of an old school of computers. ;)
(I'm a little older than average user of this kind of forums. :P)

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

Koub wrote:Once the idea is refined into something viable, either i'll move it into suggestion (if the first post is updated), or OP can create a new topic in Ideas and suggestions describing the final idea, and a link to this discussion for records :).
Well, if I was to turn this into suggestion...

When an item stack is being held by cursor:

1. Ctrl + single left button click on a building should attempt to drop entire item stack into the building, assuming it can accept the item in question (no change to current behavior).
2. Ctrl + single right button click should attempt to drop half stack (no change to current behavior).
3. Ctrl + left button down on a building should drop entire stack and continue the same behavior while mouse is dragged over other buildings. If player runs out of selected item type, no further action is to be performed (i.e. doesn't switch suddenly to picking items from buildings instead).
4. Ctrl + right button down on a building has the same behavior, but only half-stacks are dropped into each building.
5. Ctrl + left button down on an empty space should start a selection box. No actions are performed until button is released. Once button is released, selected item type from player's inventory is distributed evenly among all buildings within the selection box and player's reach.
6. Ctrl + right button down on an empty space acts similarly, however instead of simply dropping items into buildings, resource from player's inventory and buildings inventory both is re-distributed evenly among the buildings.

When no items are held by cursor:

1. Ctrl + left button click on a building retrieves it's entire output stack (no change to current behavior).
2. Ctrl + right button click on a building retrieves half of it's output stack (no change to current behavior).
3. Ctrl + left button down on a building and further drag should retrieve output from all buildings (no change to current behavior).
4. Ctrl + right button down on a building and further drag should retrieve half output from all buildings (no change to current behavior).
5. Ctrl + left button down on empty space should start a selection. Output from all buildings within selection (and player's reach) is retrieved.
6. Ctrl + right button down on empty space should start a selection. Half output from all buildings within selection (and player's reach) is retrieved.

Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Foreros »

That could be an ideal way to do things, but it require all pickup and drop system to be recoded.
It can create lot of other problems and, in the end, rewrite almost all of program core.
My solution is very simple even on program having less impact on the core program and givin a good solution too.
That can be set even working only with CTRL active, but require more work and more problems.
IMHO, best solution is lowest work for best result.
And the hand limit has this purpose.
Could be an idea hear a programmer point of view for make a suggestion with all the knowledge needed for it.
But I will add any suggestion proposed in the first post for let anyone give his preferences or propose new solutions or ideas.

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

Foreros wrote:That could be an ideal way to do things, but it require all pickup and drop system to be recoded.
It can create lot of other problems and, in the end, rewrite almost all of program core.
Please do not make assumptions about Factorio internals. Devs are perfectly capable of determining that stuff for themselves, so let them decide whether something can be implemented or not, and to what degree.

As a software engineer with 14+ years of experience, I can assure you that the worst havoc in software development is when customer thinks he knows better than developers what is difficult for them, and starts modifying his requests according to his "intuitive" understanding (which is absolutely wrong in 99.9% cases). Decrypting what customer wants from his incomplete, self-contradictory and irrelevant requests is hard enough - decrypting what he wants when he's actively obfuscating his requests is worse.

The best you can do as a customer is to explain everything you want to the devs, preferably in dry algorithmic format if you know how to do that (and preferably not in that format if you aren't certain you can pull it off). Leave the rest to them, it's their job and they're better at it.

Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Foreros »

Never told that I know better than them.
But I know enough for tell what is the simplest solution.
That wont mean I know more of the code used in game program than what I really think, but I know enough of programming for assume that adding a single variable to a code is simpler than totally changing the way it work.
Logical, simple and, in the most cases, real.
I know that a developer can change a program the way customer request them, but this usually require a lot of work, testing and time...
That's why I think a developer can help us decide what's the best and simpler solution, letting us know what they can do with less time and that can work better.

Return to “General discussion”